Wanting to get cut and build muscle

Options
2»

Replies

• PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    At 5'8, 195 lbs is on the borderline between overweight and obese.

Per medical diagnosis this is true.

Obviously this is not accurate for everyone in practice, but per diagnosis guidelines, it is.

Since I don't think there are doctor's here, no one should be making a "medical diagnosis." Using BMI to label someone's fitness level is not very accurate. BMI considers me obese and I just lol.

• benandstephlegg1
    benandstephlegg1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is the OP, I apologize for not posting my current weight. I am currently 208. I have some muscle definition but by now means Jacked haha. The way that I got my body fat percentage was through online research and also one of those handheld BFP devices. I have no clue how accurate it is. I will try to post a pic later for reference.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    This is the OP, I apologize for not posting my current weight. I am currently 208. I have some muscle definition but by now means Jacked haha. The way that I got my body fat percentage was through online research and also one of those handheld BFP devices. I have no clue how accurate it is. I will try to post a pic later for reference.

The handheld bio-impedance devices are not accurate at all. A pic will give a much better idea.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Guys, if you want to debate BMI, there are already threads in the debate section doing just that, it's not any help to the OP.

I did not mention the healthy weight range as some indictment of OP's fitness or health, or anyone else's with those stats. He asked if he could get to 195 by December, and if at that point he would be "cut". In the absence of a picture or stats that would suggest how muscled he is, I merely mentioned where that weight sets on the range because on average, a typical 5'8 195lb man who is coming down from 228 is not overly muscular and would not be lean at 195. That's really it.
  • PokernuttAR
    PokernuttAR Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    jseams1234 wrote: »

This quote is obviously not true for everyone. I'm 5'8" and 190lbs, but I don't think I fit this description. She more correctly states later, that everyone carries their weight differently.

To help answer your question, my profile pic was taken at about 175lbs and I had somewhat visible abs. Since I lost over 60 pounds, I have some loose skin and it makes seeing ab definition a little more difficult. It looks like we're about the same build, so I would bet you would see abs about 180-185lbs. Good luck bro!

Per medical diagnosis this is true.

Obviously this is not accurate for everyone in practice, but per diagnosis guidelines, it is.

Since I don't think there are doctor's here, no one should be making a "medical diagnosis." Using BMI to label someone's fitness level is not very accurate. BMI considers me obese and I just lol.

You only had "somewhat visible" abs at 175 and you are now 190. How is your ab definition now? Even at 190 at your height you are not "obese" but just overweight. Both designations are simply medical definitions based on those height and weight measurements. You could be 5'8 and 190 with 5% body fat and by definition you are still "overweight". I'm 15 pounds heavier than you and I have visible abs... I'm still "overweight" by that definition and possibly and outlier - but that doesn't change the term used to describe me - or even you, based on BMI.

Your profile pic is based off the progress you showed in this thread: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/42224633#Comment_42224633
    and while you have done an incredible job in transforming your body - you aren't what I would consider lean. Get truly lean and you would probably find yourself solidly at the top of the BMI "normal" range.

I'm not sure why you seem to really think the whole BMI/'medial diagnosis' thing is important - BMI is largely considered outdated as heck because how much someone weighs is largely irrelevant to all health precisely because it has no ability to take into consideration body composition. 190 pounds at 50% body fat vs 190 pounds at 15% body fat are two totally different health stages, one of which would be obese and one of which would not be. Any doctor that still relies 100% on BMI to made a diagnosis that someone is overweight or obese should lose their license IMO.

Yes, I totally agree...you just explained it better than me. Thank you!

I'm not sure why others want to put labels on people instead of helping them and answering the questions they ask. If you look back, I was just trying to answer the OPs question based on my own experience.
  • benandstephlegg1
    benandstephlegg1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @PokernuttAR, thanks for the info. I realize this is probably the wrong forum to post this since it's about gaining weight when I am actually trying to cut and build muscle. Obviously it is hard to cut weight and building muscle at the same time but I am getting rid of fat and building muscle. I have seen some muscle growth but since I am also trying to lose fat, it's hard to do. I'm really just trying to get something that resembles abs by the time I go on my cruise in December haha.
  • thaichilies
    thaichilies Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Looking for muscle gainer friends to add as well