Is it really CICO? Calories in, calories out?

2»

Replies

• BillPar
    BillPar Posts: 3 Member
    edited July 2018
    I believe balancing macros tailored to an individual works by helping maintain a healthy metabolism , as do some diet breaks.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Hi everyone, I have a question about my calories in and calories out. Here’s a little back story before I begin I’ve been yo-yo dieting for a few years now I get on kicks where I wanna lose weight then I crash. In middle school I had an eating disorder and basically stopped eating I’ve come out of that and am fine now. Now I am 21 5 feet tall and 138 pounds I am putting on weight like crazy and I’ve never been really
    Consistent with my diets and that’s probably because I eat around 500 calories a day and then crash. But when I try to eat more the scale ends up going up and through research this has lead me to believe I broke or damage my
    Metabolism having me need less than 1000 calories to lose weight. If anyone has any insight on this please let me know thank you !

Eating 500 calories a day will see you crash - quite quickly I'm guessing. Plug your stats into mfp and eat what it tells you to eat - consistently and for a long time. It can take weeks to get moving - or you may lose a lot in a short period (depends on how overweight you are). If you do it consistently and for long enough your body will respond - be patient!! Being more active will do 2 things, make you feel better mentally and secondly, by burning more calories you will either lose quicker or will have a few extra calories to play with. Either way, work out your mfp targets and then measure/weigh your food accurately and log everything that goes into your mouth. I promise you, everyone can lose weigth by doing this - there is almost certainly nothing odd about you that will make it not work. But do stop the crazy yo yoing and drastic eating plans and accept that your body may need to recover from them
  • LuckyNumbers
    LuckyNumbers Posts: 208 Member
    Hi everyone, I have a question about my calories in and calories out. Here’s a little back story before I begin I’ve been yo-yo dieting for a few years now I get on kicks where I wanna lose weight then I crash. In middle school I had an eating disorder and basically stopped eating I’ve come out of that and am fine now. Now I am 21 5 feet tall and 138 pounds I am putting on weight like crazy and I’ve never been really
    Consistent with my diets and that’s probably because I eat around 500 calories a day and then crash. But when I try to eat more the scale ends up going up and through research this has lead me to believe I broke or damage my
    Metabolism having me need less than 1000 calories to lose weight. If anyone has any insight on this please let me know thank you !

Please see a doctor (I'm thinking endocrinologist or the like) if you think you might have a metabolic disorder.
  • fb47
    fb47 Posts: 1,058 Member
    edited July 2018
    CICO is all that matters. Now when it comes to what to eat, the lower your calories intake, the more I recommend you getting healthy foods that can keep you satiated. For example, a woman who needs 1200 calories to lose weight at a good rate and eats a Big Mac with fries every day will lose weight, the problem is they will feel hungry all the time and unless they have extreme will power, they will most likely end up eating more after that because of that hunger....and this will also cause other problems like the fact that they will lack adequate protein, fiber and micronutrients on top of that.

Now if you take my example, I am a 5'9 male who needs 2460 calories just to lose 1 lbs per week. I can easily fit fruits and veggies, eat the healthy stuff like chicken, yogurt, cottage cheese, etc...and at the same time, I can easily fit a donut here, a muffin there and still lose weight because 2460 calories is enough for me to lose weight, at the same time I am able to cover my protein, fiber and micronutrients goals and eat junk food at the same time. I can easily get away with it with getting the best of both worlds. The lower your calories are, the harder it is to fit junk food and hit your fiber, micronutrients and protein goals.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!