Lying to friends and family about weighing myself

13»

Replies

• app_119
    app_119 Posts: 24 Member
    I refuse to answer people when they ask how much I’ve lost. Family, friends, customers, doesn’t matter. I think it’s rude to ask. I say very honestly “Sorry, I don’t answer that question “, or some variation. People are usually so surprised by the blunt answer that they don’t ask again.

I won’t engage in conversations about my eating habits, either. You need to establish boundaries. But if lying is what you need to do to protect yourself, then that’s what you do.

And congratulations on the weight loss!
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I think I would save lying for AFTER I'd asked them to stop asking me whether or not I'd lost - and perhaps asking them to do something else instead. Hopefully they want to be helpful. I might say something like, "I'm finding that talking about my weigh-in makes it more stressful. I'd rather talk about upcoming movies or something else that's unrelated. I promise, if I reach a milestone or feel like giving up, I'll let you know."

Then, if they either refuse, or agree and then renege, I wouldn't feel the least bit bad about fibbing whatsoever. They earned it.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Do whatever works for you. I might just tell them the truth, that you don't feel comfortable telling anyone your weight.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    OP,
    I haven't lied to my mom. She's dead.
    I haven't lied to my dad. He's dead.

I put my all-time lowest weight picture on facebook, then gained 50 lb without changing the photo. I guess that means I lie to my friends.

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    OP,
    I haven't lied to my mom. She's dead.
    I haven't lied to my dad. He's dead.

I put my all-time lowest weight picture on facebook, then gained 50 lb without changing the photo. I guess that means I lie to my friends.

Doesn't everybody do that? :joy:
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    I am all for you doing what you feel is best for you. In the past I too had this issue. I then got to the point when asked I would just say back why does the amount, I have lost in a week or a month matter to you? It really only matters to me, and I am working on it. And no longer up for discussion. This happened a few times with some that were slow to Get It. And then when they figured out I meant it they quit asking. And I feel so much better now. Anyone asks, I just say I do not share the amount I am losing thank you.