Tips on how to not buy all the clothes when you've dropped a size? (but still have more to go)

Options
123457»

Replies

• kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    To the OP:

Oh definitely don't feel any guilt for treating yourself. You have worked hard and deserve nice things too. And for sure dress to fit your new body size as it changes. I was taken aside by a close friend who said my clothes were becoming unflattering the way they were sagging. I bought better fitting clothes and suddenly everyone noticed. It boosted my confidence a lot.

You go girl!

Did not read all 6 pages of this thread, but I agree with this. When I lost 30 pounds, a few people made comments about how I was losing weight, and I mentioned the number to one of my good friends. One day she saw me leaving work in my fitted gym clothes and said, "Wow, you really have lost 30 pounds! I can tell now that you're not in your baggy clothes." That right there motivated me to go out and get new clothes, and then I got tons of compliments.

Unless my budget was so tight that the choice was between new clothes and buying food for the week, I'd spend the money on new clothes. Doesn't have to be expensive stuff, but I'd enjoy wearing stuff that fits. I'm losing slowly, so I don't think I will size myself out of anything until the next season anyway. If your budget is really tight, IMO dresses and skirts are more forgiving with size changes, so you'll get longer uses out of those- especially something like a wrap dress or something that ties in the middle. You can always just tie it tighter.

Yeah :smile: thank you! I have tried to keep onto some old stuff but some of it just looks so sad. I'm swimming in some of my T-shirts. I was only going to initially get pants that weren't falling down, but I ended up buying more so I could have new tops as well. I'm trying not to feel bad about it haha. I probably could have made do with a little less. But all of this. I'm slowly losing, and all my new things have belt loops and I would honestly rather have newer things taken in or belted than have my old things (stretched out, worn out, baggy in weird areas - I cannot deal with the weird crotch folds). They are all 1-4 years old and I did my best to take care of them, and not use the drier. But sometimes laziness happens in the winter.

I also got a couple skirts now and 2 dresses. I've had these slip-shorts for wearing under skirts and dresses for a long time, and they were not cheap. I haven't worn them much because I just haven't had the styles of skirts and dresses I want to wear. I also got 3 new belts - I've only had one for a long time, and I've realized that that makes a lot of the dresses I own look much better. I really underestimated the versatility of belts before!

In Canada, we have a few stores that have extreme sales 99% of the time(as they do in other Countries). I buy from them at a min. of 80% off. I never pay more than $10(reg up to $199) for jeans and usually buy one size too small for me at least unless it is jeans I have been dreaming of and if I can't get them on size down, I might even get them the size I am now...I can resell for what I pay anyhow :wink:

Yes, I think that's really similar to the sale I shopped at! It's 60% off of red stickers, so previously reduced. I ended up getting a few more things online from the sale too once I saw how things fit in the store.

I don't know how people re-sell things! I think I might have to look into that. A lot of my old clothes are not sellable (some just ended up in the trash already). But I do have some nice things that were barely/never worn that I wouldn't mind selling. It just looks intimidating/complicated.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options