August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    I wouldn't touch Under Armour with a ten foot pole.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Them's some fancy sunglasses! Mine were free swag from the UT eye center which sponsored a race. They're the same brand that's often sold in running stores.

They are the darkest glasses I could find. There are actually 1% darker than my Oaklys which used to be the darkest I could find. Polarized and they meet or exceed ANSI safety standards so when I am being a stupid clutz and fall on my face or take a branch to my face they protect my eyes completely.

For me, that makes them well worth their price.
  • PastorVincent
    I spend my money on shoes. Shoes are the only thing runners need to spend serious money on. Shorts? Tops? Socks? Seriously... I've tried dozens of brands ranging from $35 for tech shirt to $5... difference in performance? Not a damn thing. UA and Nike are the absolute worst for gouging people for a name brand... some the best shlt I have I picked up for $5 on clearance at Walmart.

That has not been my experience, not even close, but to each their own. :) THAT is one of the great things about this sport, it is very individualized. :) I do buy on clearance (just got new shoes for $60!!! Got the Garmin on sale too, way less, and so on.) so my actual outlay is likely less than that listing but I do not track it, so just going with current pricing for now :)
  • LaDispute57
    Them's some fancy sunglasses! Mine were free swag from the UT eye center which sponsored a race. They're the same brand that's often sold in running stores.

They are the darkest glasses I could find. There are actually 1% darker than my Oaklys which used to be the darkest I could find. Polarized and they meet or exceed ANSI safety standards so when I am being a stupid clutz and fall on my face or take a branch to my face they protect my eyes completely.

Wow... I could not fathom paying that much for sunglasses... I can't even figure out why people wear them for trail runs... when I try wearing them, I trip all over sneaky cobwebs and snail tracks...
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I kinda love my UA raceback. It's green and very soft and I love it. On the other hand, my favorite sports bras are from Walmart's Avia house brand, they control bounce much better than more expensive bras I have tried.
  • PastorVincent

Wow... I could not fathom paying that much for sunglasses... I can't even figure out why people wear them for trail runs... when I try wearing them, I trip all over sneaky cobwebs and snail tracks...

I am very light sensitive. The noon sun gives me a headache. I could not see without ultra dark glasses like this. For me, I would never have a chance to see the roots without the glasses as the glare would blind me.
  • PastorVincent
    Oh, I save $20 buy running in my trail shoes...

Altra Men's Lone Peak 3.5 Trail Running Shoe ( $100 currently on Amazon)

So there is that. :lol:
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    I kinda love my UA raceback. It's green and very soft and I love it. On the other hand, my favorite sports bras are from Walmart's Avia house brand, they control bounce much better than more expensive bras I have tried.

I have some UA running gear and it fits better with no chafing than some of my cheaper stuff.

But the UA heatgear I bought last winter for $$$ I barely used - the $20 fleece-lined Champion brand tights I got at Costco were way better. I also like my cheap sports bras from Costco the best of the ones I'm currently using even if the pink one does dye my skin when I sweat.

I try to stack sales with coupon codes and/or package pickup discounts for my shoes.
  • LaDispute57
    I do need to modify my comments slightly... because I run outdoors all winter, I do spend a little more on winter running gear. I go exclusively (with one exception) with Mizuno Breath Thermo jackets, pants, socks and gloves... that stuff is magical. It super light weight, but as soon as you start sweating it wicks it away from your skin and heats it up... no lie... I run in that stuff in sub zero temps... as low as -20F with the windchill... and stay toasty. I don't mind spending bucks on that stuff... but hands down, the best winter gear I ever bought was the Sugoi Firewall 180 windproof jacket... a tiny bit pricey, but worth every penny.
  • PastorVincent
    I do need to modify my comments slightly... because I run outdoors all winter, I do spend a little more on winter running gear. I go exclusively (with one exception) with Mizuno Breath Thermo jackets, pants, socks and gloves... that stuff is magical. It super light weight, but as soon as you start sweating it wicks it away from your skin and heats it up... no lie... I run in that stuff in sub zero temps... as low as -20F with the windchill... and stay toasty. I don't mind spending bucks on that stuff... but hands down, the best winter gear I ever bought was the Sugoi Firewall 180 windproof jacket... a tiny bit pricey, but worth every penny.

Nod, my winter running Jacket is a North Face Wind Barrier. Thing is incredible... and incredibly expensive. It has to be below freezing before I can wear it though. Else I will die. I am sure of it.
  • LaDispute57
    You know you have good winter stuff if you are freezing your *kitten* off for the first couple of miles and then warm up to the sweet spot of just warm enough to keep moving for a while...
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited August 2018
    The ticker is retarded. Avoid it.
    Socks? I skip them entirely.

No socks? I quarantined my summer running shoes to the garage for the past two weeks. August and long runs have left them — oderific. New shoes came via UPS today so I can finally burn the old ones (for the safety of the general public). I can’t imagine the state of them without socks... this summer... 😱.

Maybe it’s just me? lol
  • LaDispute57
    The ticker is retarded. Avoid it.
    Socks? I skip them entirely.

No socks? I quarantined my summer running shoes to the garage for the past two weeks. August and long runs have left them — oderific. New shoes came via UPS today so I can finally burn the old ones (for the safety of the general public). I can’t imagine the state of them without socks... this summer... 😱.

Maybe it’s just me? lol

Yeah... One of the cool things about minimalist running shoes is that the majority of them are built to be comfy sockless
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member

@RunnerGrl1982: BOOM! Congratulations! I hope it’s not too creepy to say I’ve been rooting for you - we seem to be in a similar place on our running “journey” so it’s great to see you also had a good month. I’d originally planned on setting my August goal to 60 miles but had so much fun with the 50 mile club last month I wanted to give it a second go around. I also like setting my goals nice and low - I’ve scheduled myself to run almost 100 miles next month (five long runs!) but I think I’m going to put my official goal at 75. We will see.

Thank you so much! That means the world to me to hear you say that! I've been keeping tabs on you as well - so totally not creepy at all. :wink:

Glad you've been doing well and had a good run! I wish you well on your next month's goal! 100 is awesome! I'll be cheering you on. I understand about wanting to keep goals a bit low as to not get down on ourselves if we don't end up surpassing them. Makes sense to schedule 75 and see where the sneakers reside at the end of it all.

Good luck on your race! We both have races the same weekend offset by 1 day. Should be fun!! :)

• LaDispute57
    HonuNui wrote: »
    August....run she must

8/1 zip
    8/2 zip
    8/3 2.57
    8/4 zip
    8/5 zip
    8/6 3.15
    8/7 zip
    8/8 4.15
    8/9 zip
    8/10 3.10
    8/11 zip
    8/12 3.00
    8/13 4.00
    8/14 snorkel 3.5 hours
    8/15 3.18
    8/16 3.34 for Dennis
    8/17 Hell at work
    8/18 4.18
    8/19 working hard to finish plans and music handouts for this
    8/20 big charity Kanikapila(music jam) scheduled for Sunday while
    8/21 battening down for this hurricane which is probably
    8/22 going to derail the whole damned kanikapila anyway
    8/23 3.29...might as well run, then

Total 33.96

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Totally loved 8/16 to 8/23
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    edited August 2018

---
    Any type socks you would recommend for running in winter weather?