August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Signed up for St Jude Marathon weekend 5k - considered doing a longer distance since it's rare to have a longer local race, but the St Jude 5k was my first race that I ran the whole distance and I wanted to do it again to mark the anniversary. I know at least a couple of other people on the thread are coming for the longer distances. Price goes up after the 29th so I needed to stop procrastinating!

Does anyone else fundraise for races? St Jude is aggressive with mailers asking runners to fundraise, and I feel kind of bad not doing it, since not only is it a cause I believe in, my uncle used to be in charge of fundraising for them. If you do, how do you handle it?

I have in the past, but I am really bad at it, so I normally just make a donation instead of doing that. They get more money that way. :)
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,966 Member
    August goal: 75 miles

8/1: 4.5 miles
    8/2: 5 miles
    8/5: 6.5 miles
    8/7: 4.3 miles
    8/8: 4.6 miles
    8/9: 5 miles
    8/12: 8 miles
    8/14: 5 miles
    8/15: 4.7 miles
    8/16: 4.5 miles
    8/19: 6.3 miles dedicated to @KeepRunningFatboy
    8/23: 3.7 miles
    8/26: 7.8 miles

69.9/75 miles

I had a pretty good run today. It was hot though. I need to get up earlier on Sundays, but I usually need the sleep. We celebrated my Dad's 81st birthday yesterday so I got to bed late and just didn't want to get up before the sun. Plus I kind of like to wake up on my own and not have an alarm set. I'll be glad when it is cooler at 8:30 am.

My run was mostly uneventful. There was one loose dog. It would have been a scary big dog, but I could see the owner (a boy of about 10) following her with a leash and trying to get her to come home. I thought the dog was going to follow me, but finally she lost interest. I felt bad for the boy because the dog was just ignoring him when he called her. My min pin used to do that when she would get out and I know how frustrating it is. I was glad that the dog wasn't unattended though.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    edited August 2018
    @katharmonic Fantastic!!!
    @marisap2010 Fantastic you too!!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Signed up for St Jude Marathon weekend 5k - considered doing a longer distance since it's rare to have a longer local race, but the St Jude 5k was my first race that I ran the whole distance and I wanted to do it again to mark the anniversary. I know at least a couple of other people on the thread are coming for the longer distances. Price goes up after the 29th so I needed to stop procrastinating!

Does anyone else fundraise for races? St Jude is aggressive with mailers asking runners to fundraise, and I feel kind of bad not doing it, since not only is it a cause I believe in, my uncle used to be in charge of fundraising for them. If you do, how do you handle it?

I did it one year. I personally just donated the $500 basic pledge. Love St Judes also. They sent some sweet swag for that 500 bucks 😏. I hate asking for money. So fundraising isn't my thing i guess. If you do it, I'm sure I can send ya something. Just hit me up with the deets.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Thank you so much @Scott6255 and @MegaMooseEsq (high fives back on your night race also)!!

@MobyCarp - what's the OakTree Half in Geneseo like? Pretty hilly? I think I saw you have done this before and/or are doing it this year (next week).

(pause in reading posts to reply)

@katharmonic

Oak Tree has two major down and back up stretches. The second one is the steeper of the two, including the famous Mile 11 hill. Actually, the 11 mile flag is right where that "up" stretch changes from being a hill to being a steep hill. The course includes about 8 miles of gravel road, including the major up and down hill stretches, and finishes with 3/4 of a lap around the high school track.

Rochester Half (September 23) has better marketing. Oak Tree is a tougher course. I was a bit worried about Oak Tree until yesterday's 18 miles in Mendon; now I think I'm ready for the hills. The wild card is what the weather does; I have not yet demonstrated an ability to manage a long race well in hot, humid weather.

Congratulations on the 18.12 race! Tom Lamme (holder of the 60-64 age group course record for Oak Tree) tells me that he always liked the 30K distance, because it was like a marathon without the wall. I've never run an 18 mile or 30K race, though I've done training runs of about that distance. I think running it as a race, even if it's not an "A" race, would be good for your marathon training. You've already described my mantra during the last 4 miles of my first marathon: Every step is a new distance PR. Every minute is a new time running PR. Keep going.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    kevaasen wrote: »
    "A workout is designed to help make you fitter for race day, not to prove how fit you are".

That's bloody awesome.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    noblsheep wrote: »
    On my long run over the weekend, I ran past a senior choir rehearsing in the park. With a band and constructor and all the shebaz. That was pretty awesome.

That's beautiful.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    noblsheep wrote: »
    On my long run over the weekend, I ran past a senior choir rehearsing in the park. With a band and constructor and all the shebaz. That was pretty awesome.

That's beautiful.

That was supposed to be conductor. I need more coffee.