August 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    my nonworkout clothes are mostly black. my running clothes are bright colors. the goth in me cringes sometimes. but even during the day, neon is more eyecatching than someone wearing black. sigh
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    my nonworkout clothes are mostly black. my running clothes are bright colors. the goth in me cringes sometimes. but even during the day, neon is more eyecatching than someone wearing black. sigh

My inner goth has surrendered to the neon pink. If it's good enough for Janelle Monae...
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @AprilRN10 and @PastorVincent I went! And didn't actually get rained on haha @MegaMooseEsq I like the look of the hat. Never considered wearing a cap to keep rain off, and rain off glasses is definitely a plus.

As far as pedestrians, I currently do most of my running in the dark, though it's starting to get lighter (yay roll on summer). I have a big high vis vest with reflective strips. We live rural but have some street lighting. There is another guy who runs the same track as me and he only wears a head lamp. I got talking to a couple of ladies at work who often pass us at that hr of the day and I asked what they prefer. Instant response was the high vis, they could see me from a huge distance. The guy with the headlamp is easily mistaken for just a light until he is closer. I also wear a bright orange tank during the day. I know there is less risk but I'm on rural roads so anything that makes me stand out is good.

That's a good point about the vest vs. light. Any vest recommendations? I bought one last year but shrunk out of it it over the winter and haven't replaced it yet. I generally don't like hats, but someone (probably here!) recommended it for keeping the rain off and it's super helpful. Plus white and reflective!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »

Here is the Amazon.com link

Hmm I will have to consider that. I have blinky lights for my arms, but all my work out gear is black... as are most of my clothes. I do not use a lamp, I have not needed it, but that will change with my new house. A lot fewer street lights on my new route. Still on summer-clocks here so still light out when I run, but darkness is inching up on us.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited August 2018
    mbaker566 wrote: »

My inner goth has surrendered to the neon pink. If it's good enough for Janelle Monae...
    @AprilRN10 and @PastorVincent I went! And didn't actually get rained on haha @MegaMooseEsq I like the look of the hat. Never considered wearing a cap to keep rain off, and rain off glasses is definitely a plus.

As far as pedestrians, I currently do most of my running in the dark, though it's starting to get lighter (yay roll on summer). I have a big high vis vest with reflective strips. We live rural but have some street lighting. There is another guy who runs the same track as me and he only wears a head lamp. I got talking to a couple of ladies at work who often pass us at that hr of the day and I asked what they prefer. Instant response was the high vis, they could see me from a huge distance. The guy with the headlamp is easily mistaken for just a light until he is closer. I also wear a bright orange tank during the day. I know there is less risk but I'm on rural roads so anything that makes me stand out is good.

That's a good point about the vest vs. light. Any vest recommendations? I bought one last year but shrunk out of it it over the winter and haven't replaced it yet. I generally don't like hats, but someone (probably here!) recommended it for keeping the rain off and it's super helpful. Plus white and reflective!

I also shrunk out of mine, but just got the sewing machine out and took it in at the sides, fits better now than it ever did. I'm in NZ so just got the cheapest one I could from a construction store - home depo type store (I think) - has the advantage of a pocket for my phone, but can get hot in summer - I only wear it after dark so mostly in winter anyway. It cost me about $10 compared with the 30-40 I was looking at for an actual running vest lol
  • Avidkeo
    Moan, I bought new socks to go with my new shoes, I have a blister on the callous on the outside of my left big toe now. sigh. back to the old socks I think. I got these ones cause they had better mid arch support than the cheap ones I got a couple of months ago. but the ones I got a couple of months ago doing give me blisters bahaha
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member

Hmm I will have to consider that. I have blinky lights for my arms, but all my work out gear is black... as are most of my clothes. I do not use a lamp, I have not needed it, but that will change with my new house. A lot fewer street lights on my new route. Still on summer-clocks here so still light out when I run, but darkness is inching up on us.

I combine the vest with blinky lights. Got asked if I was a Christmas tree last year... (red/green lights)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Catching up on some of the posts from yesterday and today...
    @eleanorhawkins - you can't compare yourself to others here. I can't run as fast or as far as any of the guys in my age group like @juliet3455 or @mobycarp or most all of the younger crowd here. But that doesn't mean they don't inspire me by their awesome running. I wish I could run that fast/far but I know realistically it will never be and I don't let myself get down about it I just get out and do what I can do and keep trying to improve upon that... a little further, a little faster or just a run that feels great.
    @avidkeo - I personally feel that rain runs are awesome! I do wear a running ball type cap (always) so it keeps the rain mostly off my face (sweat too on hot and sunny days :sweat_smile: ) Even though you didn't get rained on this time I am sure you will have plenty of opportunities to rain run (jump in puddles!) and have fun with it!
    @amymoreorless - hope that cold/sinus thing goes away soon and you can breath again!
    @juliet3455 - the collision analysis of visibility at dusk is very interesting. Have they done anything similar during normal daylight hours? I try to wear highly visible running clothes all the time and drivers still don't see me. I think it is more because they aren't really looking - the 'I've been through this intersection 100 times and there is never a pedestrian so why should I look this time' attitude. I do though as @mbaker566 does and acknowledge the driver when they stop for me - sometimes, multiple drivers in the 4-way stop.
    @cburke8909 - going behind a car only would be safer if no other cars come along. On a multilane or busier street you could end up sandwiched between 2 cars especially since the 2nd driver would not be expecting anyone to be there.
  • Avidkeo

I combine the vest with blinky lights. Got asked if I was a Christmas tree last year... (red/green lights)

I hope you put the red on the left and the green on the right or you will just confuse everyone!
  • PastorVincent

I hope you put the red on the left and the green on the right or you will just confuse everyone!

Might give someone a seizure! :smiley:
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited August 2018
    @AprilRN10 and @PastorVincent I went! And didn't actually get rained on haha

If running is going to be your sport, then you will need to learn to run in the rain. I mean unless you leave in a desert area. :D

Funny thing about rain for me (and others have said the same) if I am getting ready to run and it is already raining I dread going out. If I am already running and it starts raining I do not care. Its totally a stupid mind thing I know, but it is what it is.

I think it makes sense: if you're out on a run and it starts to rain, you've probably warmed up and gotten a bit (or a lot) sweaty, so the rain probably feels good and you're already a bit (or a lot!) wet anyhow. Stepping from dry to wet right away is more of a shock regardless of temperature, and I think most people have at least a bit of an aversion to getting wet while fully clothed.

ETA: Unrelated to running, applying for a mortgage is a LOT easier than applying to be admitted to the bar. I've completed 3 different bar applications now and they are a bear (one for me, one when my husband applied for a second license and was too swamped to do it himself, and one application to the federal judiciary which was substantially similar and I got paid to do).
  • PastorVincent
    @AprilRN10 and @PastorVincent I went! And didn't actually get rained on haha

If running is going to be your sport, then you will need to learn to run in the rain. I mean unless you leave in a desert area. :D

Funny thing about rain for me (and others have said the same) if I am getting ready to run and it is already raining I dread going out. If I am already running and it starts raining I do not care. Its totally a stupid mind thing I know, but it is what it is.

Oh I know this, and its part of my training that I must run no matter what the weather. And I'm with you, I don't actually mind getting wet, its actually more pleasant. But also like you I dread going out if its already raining. I think this all comes back to the day that I went out and my shoes got absolutely soaked, and they were like little blocks of concrete on the ends of my legs. Also still winter here, so rain means cold, and I'm not particularly fond of cold either.

Now wind on the other had. I HATE wind. absolutely loathe it.

The first half marathon (and only so far) I did was in the middle of winter, it was only 10 degrees (C) and pouring with rain. The course was a U shape along the waterfront of Wellington, NZ (known as the windy city for a reason) and there was a wind blowing into the U, so you started with a tail wind, had a side wind, then a head wind, and reverse on the way back. I had not trained properly for that HM and I was in AGONY. I managed the first 7 km or so fine. walked a bit, ran a bit for the next 5k or so. then trudged cold and wet to the finish line. The ONLY reason I finished if because my ride home was at the finish. I was 12th to last and did it in 3 hrs 7 minutes. I remember walking along with my wrists in my armpits because they were freezing. I was wearing cotton cause I didn't know any better.

Every time I drove past the waterfront all I could remember is pain. This was 7 years ago. and the main reason it took 6 years to get into running properly again. couple of pics below - I was too cheap to buy them and at the time I just wanted to forget it.

So yeah, pretty determined to actually train properly this time, and to beat my last time. I'd kinda like to beat it by an hour but Ill be happy with anything less than 2:30. Oh and I want to run the whole thing but wont beat myself up if I have to walk at all. That's one thing you guys have given me, even the most experienced runner occasionally has to walk.

x55nrz85ymn1.jpg
    xuc8kjvsm3xc.jpg

P.S. that was a long winded way of saying "yes sir"

Sounds like you have a much better attitude and that will lead you to a much better race! Even if you do not hit your time goals, just being properly clothed will make a huge difference. We all learn that lesson the hard way I think!