August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I got to run 1.93 miles. Week two of tough Tuesday was a little tougher than last week - I got a near-cramp in my right calf that felt like it was about to explode into full-on Charley horse all afternoon, although thankfully it never did and is feeling better now. I don’t mind the tough workout while I’m in the middle of it, but I’d rather not spend the rest of the day cringing. I got a little light-headed or something during deadlifts, which I did not appreciate.

One more run this month and then it’s September. Where did the time go? I applied to two mortgage lenders yesterday and we’re visiting the house again tomorrow to check out the central air and so my husband can take pictures of the kitchen. WHAT IS HAPPENING?!? Then we just wait for the bankers to judge us. My dad was a banker, so I’m used to it.

@eleanorhawkins: I definitely think walking is a good rest day activity - I mainly just avoid anything higher impact or sweat-inducing if possible. I am also a big fan of setting achievable goals. I figure the first goal can be the very doable bare minimum I’d like to accomplish, and then secondary or stretch goals can come in if and when that first goal gets blown out of the water.

@biketheworld: Just thinking about running into a casual acquaintance in my running gear tweaks the anxiety a little. That said, as @sarahthes wisely pointed out, if they’re also there to run, they’ll probably be questionably attired as well.

AUGUST MILES:
    8/1 We - 0:21:46 - 1.86
    8/2 Th - rest, prehab
    8/3 Fr - 0:20:08 - 1.96 fartleks, lifted heavy things
    8/4 Sa - 1:24:32 - 7.30
    8/5 Su - rest, yoga
    8/6 Mo - 0:37:54 - 3.47
    8/7 Tu - lifted heavy things
    8/8 We - rest, prehab
    8/9 Th - 0:33:38 - 3.11
    8/10 Fr - 0:34:55 - 3.07
    8/11 Sa - 1:06:45 - 6.10
    8/12 Su - rest, prehab
    8/13 Mo - 0:49:57 - 4.36
    8/14 Tu - 0:20:06 - 1.87, lifted heavy things
    8/15 We - 0:32:20 - 3.05
    8/16 Th - rest, prehab
    8/17 Fr - unplanned rest
    8/18 Sa - 1:30:13 - 8.01 (distance PR in memory of @KeepRunningFatboy)
    8/19 Su - rest & 5 hours of D&D
    8/20 Mo - 0:49:35 - 4.58 tempo
    8/21 Tu - 0:21:00 - 2.07 fartleks, lifted heavy things, prehab
    8/22 We - rest
    8/23 Th - 0:55:10 - 4.85
    8/24 Fr - prehab, lifted heavy things
    8/25 Sa - 0:30:47 - 3.12 - Glo Run Night Race 5K
    8/26 Su - rest
    8/27 Mo - 0:41:45 - 3.75
    8/28 Tu - 0:20:17 - 1.93 fartleks, lifted heavy things, prehab

August Total: 64.46/50 miles

Races!
    July 4: Red, White and Boom! 5K Chip time: 0:32:20
    August 25: Glo Run Night Race 5K Chip time: 0:30:40
    September 8: Helen Gold/Shirley Brooker 10K, Overland Park, KS
    October 6: Twin Cities Marathon Weekend 10K
    October 21: Mankato Half Marathon

Shout out to the August 50 mile club - how’s everyone wrapping up? @mbaker566, @robdavis1, @Teerai, @hanlonsk, @grrrlwonder, @noblsheep, @ireallylikeyourface1989, @ereck44, @bride001, @niavalentino, and stretch members @5BeautifulDays, @rheddmobile, and @jele30!

How are you feeling now from the dead lift episode?
    September yippie! I can't handle heat well, even my digestion goes off, cool weather anytime for me.
    We are having another week of heat wave here. That means to me hibernate unless it's driving in the car full air conditioner on.
    Good luck with the house hunting. It's always scary but wonderful feeling at the same time. I remember buying my first place, I was scared I sat in the middle of the living room alone holding the keys thinking. Wow! Now what?
    it took me a couple of years to figure out its mine relax. :-).

I'm glad you think walking is a good rest way. I m still struggling to clear my head. It still thinks man, I'm still reduced to walking. Let's walk more than we have to to jump start these gears and get back to running. It eats at me. I like walking when I'm hiking only because I'm scared of tripping while I'm running on a trail. Too chicken. I only walk and very happy I only walk trails. :-(

Crazy or not. But I walk in my full running gear. It may look stupid, and so many ask how far are you running today? That's when I feel stupid. I don't have walking gear. I have so much money spent in it, plus I don't what I would buy for walking.

Is there a difference?
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    missevil wrote: »
    I have a question: I've read a bit about heart rate zones and which you should train in. Based on the formulas on the web, my zones are something like that: (I said that I'm untrained, maybe I'm not *that* untrained anymore...)
    Fat burning 109 - 127
    Aerobe 127-145
    Anaerobe 145 - 163
    My regular running speed is slow enough to hold a conversation, so I think I'm not really overdoing it, but my approx. heart rate is usually ~149, which is a bit too high, according to those numbers.
    I assume that I'm a bit trained already (I'm commuting by bike) and am still in the aerobe zone, but my actual question is something else anyway: how can I go lower? For me, it's physically not possible, to run much slower than what I do already. I can't reach an HR below 145.

First problem: Believing the web for heart rate zones. I ran for a couple years without the zones generated by Garmin making any sense at all. Turned out the zones were set wrong for me.

Systems for setting zones need one or more of: resting heart rate, lactic threshold heart rate, maximum heart rate. Resting heart rate isn't a problem. You just measure it in the morning before you get out of bed.

Lactic threshold heart rate can be measured accurately in a lab. A few months back, I think it was @MNLittleFinn who posted a routine to estimate the LTHR; it's such a tough workout that I've never done that routine. Instead I looked through HR results from historical races and found one that came close to matching the test.

Maximum heart rate can be measured in a lab. The commonly cited formula of 200 - age is really easy to use, but it's garbage. By that formula, I die every time I run a race shorter than a half marathon, at some half marathons, and at a lot of speed workouts. I'm using a maximum HR estimate based on my peak HR at the 2016 USATF National Club Cross Country Championships, where I can match my peak HR in the race with the top of the wall on the 3rd loop, when I would have slowed to a walk if the course hadn't shifted to downhill right there.

Once I have reasonable max HR (I'm using 185 as an estimate), I Karvonnen method to compute zones; I think Garmin calls it the HR reserve method or something like that. Basically, it uses percentage between resting HR and max HR to compute zones, instead of the more simple minded percentage of max HR.

Long story short, if your calculated zones give you HR numbers that are impossibly low for easy exercise, it's far more likely that there's a problem with the zone calculations than a problem with how you're running.

• MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

So, today I discovered that it’s really hard to run when you can only breath through one nostril at a time. 3 snotty, hot, humid and gross miles this morning completes my monthly mileage goal. It felt like I was trying to sprint a freakin’ marathon. This head cold virus thingy is kicking my butt.

Oh well, I will consider this a involuntary “cut back week”.

I've been told you're not a real runner until you learn to fire a proper snot rocket.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @missevil - There are a couple of articles that @Stoshew71 posted on HR training zones in the 'Running Related sites...' discussion of the Monthly Running Challenge here related that may help explain in more detail what they are and how they are calculated.

http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2012/04/15/aerobic-activity-foundation-health-fitness/
    https://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/training-zones-explained-2979?page=2

But as @mobycarp explained the 'calculated' zones are very broad and may not apply at all. I do like the Phil Maffetone calculation mentioned in the 1st article because it attempts to take into account the runners fitness/injury level. For me none of the calculated levels applied as my HR is just too low even before I started running. It took monitoring my levels and seeing what worked for me, adjusting and measuring over time.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,237 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Those local 5Ks will have a heck of a lot of walkers if they are anything like the ones near me, so you won't be the slowest, and it's running so literally everybody will be making questionable fashion choices :).
    This is true AND hilarious.

juliet3455 wrote: »
    My next 3 events are all Trail-Bush based, one includes 20 feet of shoe grabbing swamp , 2nd has lots of sandhills and the 3rd one usually has tree's blown down across the trails so it becomes a bit of a snakes and ladders game of over/under. So much fun, sometimes you stop to help other athlete's over an obstacle. There is one senior lady ( 70 ish ) who speed walks ( early start ) and sometimes need a little assistance to clear some of these obstacles. She does it with a smile, laugh and thank yous.

OMG I LOVE this so much! I'm looking for 5k's (& 10K's) that have some humor and/or adventure! I figure if it's just a run around a block - I can just as well stay home. But throw in the phrase "tunnel of trees" or "386 steps to the top" or "chocolate" or "wear your best Viking costume" - now THAT gets my attention!

MobyCarp wrote: »
    I've been told you're not a real runner until you learn to fire a proper snot rocket.

HAHA - I always look around to see if there's any cars coming - or I wait until I'm not in front of a house.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

shoot that's me on the sidewalk, :o

ETA: ticker from this morning, had somethings happen right when I hit work and didn't get to add to earlier post.

exercise.png
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Feeling faint or even fainting following deadlifts is super common. I've seen some very big boys at the gym have to sit down and put their heads between their knees. It's because of bracing your core (Valsalva maneuver) which can temporarily compress your blood flow, and doesn't mean you have anything wrong with you. Just be aware and have a place to sit down if you need to.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Solidarity run @MobyCarp . When i get my no good lazy buty off work and go for a run itll be 97, feel like 104, and dew point of 71.

I said i was gonna give up the heat runs. I said i was gonna get up early to run. Hmm? Oh look, room for improvement.

Good luck on tonight's race. I hope there's a lovely breeze the whole time. You gonna place?
  • missevil
    missevil Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @missevil - There are a couple of articles that @Stoshew71 posted on HR training zones in the 'Running Related sites...' discussion of the Monthly Running Challenge here related that may help explain in more detail what they are and how they are calculated.

http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2012/04/15/aerobic-activity-foundation-health-fitness/
    https://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/training-zones-explained-2979?page=2

But as @mobycarp explained the 'calculated' zones are very broad and may not apply at all. I do like the Phil Maffetone calculation mentioned in the 1st article because it attempts to take into account the runners fitness/injury level. For me none of the calculated levels applied as my HR is just too low even before I started running. It took monitoring my levels and seeing what worked for me, adjusting and measuring over time.

Thank you very much, I'll take a look. I'm still very new to all of this.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    How are you feeling now from the dead lift episode?
    September yippie! I can't handle heat well, even my digestion goes off, cool weather anytime for me.
    We are having another week of heat wave here. That means to me hibernate unless it's driving in the car full air conditioner on.
    Good luck with the house hunting. It's always scary but wonderful feeling at the same time. I remember buying my first place, I was scared I sat in the middle of the living room alone holding the keys thinking. Wow! Now what?
    it took me a couple of years to figure out its mine relax. :-).

I'm glad you think walking is a good rest way. I m still struggling to clear my head. It still thinks man, I'm still reduced to walking. Let's walk more than we have to to jump start these gears and get back to running. It eats at me. I like walking when I'm hiking only because I'm scared of tripping while I'm running on a trail. Too chicken. I only walk and very happy I only walk trails. :-(

Crazy or not. But I walk in my full running gear. It may look stupid, and so many ask how far are you running today? That's when I feel stupid. I don't have walking gear. I have so much money spent in it, plus I don't what I would buy for walking.

Is there a difference?

Feeling totally fine, head and calf are both tip-top. Walking is great exercise and you definitely don't need to feel bad about it not being running! I let perfectionism get in the way of getting healthy for many, many years - I worried about being too slow, too fat, too whatever so told myself I shouldn't even bother. Now I struggle not to regret the time I wasted refusing to do anything because I couldn't do everything.

I don't know that walking gear is really a thing - you can kind of wear whatever's comfortable and practical for wherever you happen to be walking. I sweat a lot less walking and walk to do a lot of day-to-day stuff, so I'll often be wearing jeans or a skirt or whatever. No reason not to wear running gear if you want to or are planning on a more intense, focused walk.
    MobyCarp wrote: »

So, today I discovered that it’s really hard to run when you can only breath through one nostril at a time. 3 snotty, hot, humid and gross miles this morning completes my monthly mileage goal. It felt like I was trying to sprint a freakin’ marathon. This head cold virus thingy is kicking my butt.

Oh well, I will consider this a involuntary “cut back week”.

Being a regular pedestrian during Minnesota winters offers lots of practice for that particular skill-set!
    @MegaMooseEsq Feeling faint or even fainting following deadlifts is super common. I've seen some very big boys at the gym have to sit down and put their heads between their knees. It's because of bracing your core (Valsalva maneuver) which can temporarily compress your blood flow, and doesn't mean you have anything wrong with you. Just be aware and have a place to sit down if you need to.

That's good to hear - I meant to google it but got distracted by house stuff. Ever since I started pulling over 75 lbs or so I usually hold my breath on the way up, so I wonder if that has something to do with it. I work out in a small home gym so the bench is always available if I need to sit!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options

That's good to hear - I meant to google it but got distracted by house stuff. Ever since I started pulling over 75 lbs or so I usually hold my breath on the way up, so I wonder if that has something to do with it. I work out in a small home gym so the bench is always available if I need to sit!

I have always found that exhaling through any difficult(read heavy) lift helps me focus.

ETA:True for me whether doing 225# bench presses or 400# squats/deadlifts.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Solidarity run @MobyCarp . When i get my no good lazy buty off work and go for a run itll be 97, feel like 104, and dew point of 71.

I said i was gonna give up the heat runs. I said i was gonna get up early to run. Hmm? Oh look, room for improvement.

Good luck on tonight's race. I hope there's a lovely breeze the whole time. You gonna place?

Actual air temp was reading 100 (no clue what the feels like/heat index was), with the reported dewpoint of 68 today. I forgot my water bottle. Somehow managed 8 miles at my MP. So I guess that counts as a solidarity run also?
  • travelling_lots
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I'm glad your ok.
    Do like my running gear just because it's all dry fit. Glad to hear only requirement for walking clothes is comfort
  • travelling_lots
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @MegaMooseEsq A runner does not have to stop and yield to road traffic where you are? I dont think that's a thing here. If a pedestrian enters a cross walk traffic must stop.... Maybe thats the same thing? Hmm.

@kcs76 might not listen to me here... Larger towns maybe. Come to think of it... I think moose is right. I aways step out for traffic to stop. Dh hates it, says i should wait. But hey, nah they stop. Visit any larger city. Hey, im walking here, right? Smaller town, ive forgotten the rules.

----
    Every where I've driven it's pedestrian has the right of way. Mind you in Ontario they see you and they still drive or won't give way or know how to merge, talk and text on the phone. It's the worst province when it comes to respect for human life. Reason I rather wait if I'm walking is because in Ontario they see you, and you cross they will drive right up to you as your crossing where you were there first or not. They get so close you can literally touch their car if you reach out.
    Now, how bad is it where you live?

---
    I live half a block from the water.
    This is a few blocks away. But thought I'd post so you can have a chuckle

I'm really having issues from this site, from freezing kicking me out while I post and tons of adds and now doesn't want to post two photos