Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto or low carb and breastfeeding

2»

Replies

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited August 2018
    I lower carbed (no starches) during my last pregnancy and while breastfeeding that child. It was probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 130-150 grams a day. I ate meat, nuts, all sorts of vegetables and fruits. I didn't eliminate macronutrients, I eliminated starches and didn't eat refined sugars or any grains.

Considering that said baby is now 16 and towers over me, I think everything turned out fine.

I am not a fan of extreme or restrictive diets and am quite the queen of starchy carbs now, but there's some hyperbole going on in this thread.
  • bfrisk12
    bfrisk12 Posts: 13 Member
    edited August 2018
    [quote="nvmomketo;c-42403643"

Congrats on the little one.

Did you start low carb while BF'ing, while PG, or earlier?
    quote]

Thank you! I switched while breastfeeding. Now i did wait until breastfeeding was established (about 4 weeks) and not all out until given a clean bill of health and the go ahead to start dieting and exercise.
  • bfrisk12
    bfrisk12 Posts: 13 Member
    bfrisk12 wrote: »
    Breastfeeding mom to a 2month old here. I consume 130g of carbs or less/day and my babe is just fine. Science can only do so much. If baby is healthy and thriving and so is mom then eat whatever you bloody well please. There is so much out there that says don’t eat this or that for women who are pregnant or nursing it gets a wee bit ridiculous. The reserch and science is not nearly as important and the individual mom’s (and babe’s) well being if your doc has given you the go ahead to participate in a low carb diet then have at it!

Research and science is what gives us a good indication of what choices to make to increase the chances of positive health outcomes. I don't understand concluding that it is not important. If we give up the idea that research and science can help us understand reality, we're left trying to piece things together through anecdotes, myth, and rumors.

(I'm not saying that low carbohydrate diets aren't good for breastfeeding, I haven't looked at the research. I'm challenging the idea that research isn't necessary or that we can dismiss information we don't like because our individual results are the only truth that is possible).

Agreed, what I’m hoping to accomplish more than anything is mommy support rather than mommy doubt. What works for one will not work for another. When there is a lack of research and facts one must work with doctors and “gut” to be the best mom’s we can be.
  • connallykatie10
    connallykatie10 Posts: 4 Member
    I breastfed whilst restricting calorie intake and following weight watchers which is a fairly low carb diet. All fine n I made plenty of good milk with a big bouncing baby As proof! My opinion is that a woman's body is extremely smart and will put the nutritional needs of the infant first so my body will make great milk and enough milk... it will be me who is running low n will use up fat stores to compensate, hence a 22lb steady weight loss in 20 weeks whilst breastfeeding 😊
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I breastfed whilst restricting calorie intake and following weight watchers which is a fairly low carb diet. All fine n I made plenty of good milk with a big bouncing baby As proof! My opinion is that a woman's body is extremely smart and will put the nutritional needs of the infant first so my body will make great milk and enough milk... it will be me who is running low n will use up fat stores to compensate, hence a 22lb steady weight loss in 20 weeks whilst breastfeeding 😊

I didnt restrict caloires while breastfeeding and still didnt make enough milk . I did lose a lot of weight and fat breastfeeding though. but some women no matter how they eat may not produce enough and I was breastfeeding like clockwork. so thats one thing to look for too whether doing keto or not while breastfeeding