If it didn't have calories, right now I would eat...

Replies

• ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Only oysters I've ever had were in Oyster Stew my mom made once in awhile. They were gritty, rubbery and blech. :)
    Give me the mercury-laden deep fried versions any day. :)
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    I am missing the connection. Oysters can harbor Vibrio, but what's that got to do with COVID?

Because I only ever ate them in restaurants, for the most part.

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound so coy.

I suppose I could buy them and have them at home, but raw oysters was an eating at certain restaurants thing for me.
  • lemurcat2
    I prefer my fish not deep fried, actually (usually, there is a pub we used to go to where I would always get fish and chips, again, not in covid times because I haven't been inside a restaurant in forever and it's not something I'd order). I have fish pretty often, and think it tastes really good prepared in ways where the cals aren't a problem. Had shrimp (but not scampi) last night.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,131 Member
    If I were going to make a bunch of oysters for friends, I'd fire up the charcoals. You need a lot more than you think because as those little amoebas give off liquid, it puts the coals out a little bit. I like to grill them just until they open, then put on just a little Crystal hot sauce. Tobasco is good for Bloody Marys, and Crystal is a-ok for oysters. Some like a squeeze of lemon. Oh. So. Good.

I also like to shuck a bunch and eat them raw. They taste like the ocean.

Gritty oysters sounds like they were full of sand or mud. Yuck. I've had pretty awful oysters in restaurants, and I've had really good ones.

The thing about oysters is they have "merroir." They all taste different depending where they grew. Merroir is like terroir, but from the sea instead of the land. There's a farm on the west side of Hood Canal (an extension of the Puget Sound) called Hama Hamma. The water from the Hamma Hamma river is nutrient-poor, so the oysters have a hard life. They are meaty, and not very "fatty." They are delicious, but they are OH SO different from, say, these Totten Inlet oysters I ate yesterday. There's a farm at the mouth of the Umpqua River that is inside of a triangle-shaped jetty system; it's almost all ocean water. Those little fellows have a good life, so they are very sweet and are easy to shuck.

One of my favorite seafood restaurants is on the coast about an hour from here. Some times of the year you can get a plate of raw oysters from a half dozen or more farms. They are all different. I love the differences among them. The local oyster farm is pretty tasty too, but they have to close down from time to time due to rainfall. This restaurant also makes pan-fried oysters. They are dredged in Panko crumbs and cooked on a flat grill. They are so tasty; not batter fried like most. Sometimes, if I just have a small lunch and want "dessert," I order a side of those. The chef calls them "Scooby Snacks."

I don't eat them too often. But I had been craving them, and I knew my market has a live tank so they would be fresh, and any sediment would surely be purged. When you go to Hamma Hamma, they have all the oysters sitting in shallow sinks with seawater flowing over them. They purge for a few days before sale. You can do self-serve by the dozen. Mix and match different sizes; all the same price. It's funny how sometimes the meat inside is the same size irrespective of the shell size. Sometimes the big ones are really huge inside. The small or petite ones are great for on the half shell. The medium or large are great for grilling.

Now I want some more oysters.... To make it have too many calories, maybe oyster stew. Add butter and cream to anything and.....

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,131 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I prefer my fish not deep fried, actually (usually, there is a pub we used to go to where I would always get fish and chips, again, not in covid times because I haven't been inside a restaurant in forever and it's not something I'd order). I have fish pretty often, and think it tastes really good prepared in ways where the cals aren't a problem. Had shrimp (but not scampi) last night.

This restaurant of which I spoke makes "fish and chips." I always skip the chips and get a salad because they just get their fries pre-cooked and frozen from a supply store. Not worth it. Their fish is done the same way as the oysters. It's made from the "catch of the day." Every now and then it's halibut. It's often rockfish, which is really good. If it's Lingcod, I have a hard time ordering anything other than that. Often I'll just order a side of fish. It still comes with fennel slaw, but no fries or salad. One time the chef asked, "You don't want it fried, right?" I thought about it and said, "Sure." He cooked it on the grill. Oh, my it was so good. Not many calories; sorry.

So next time I came in, I told my server that I was going to be a pain. I told her I wanted the fish and chips, but I wanted the fish grilled, not fried, and I wanted a salad instead of fries. She smiled and said, "What you want is fish and chips, hold the Panko, hold the fries, sub salad. It's what I usually order when I have lunch here." She also said she usually orders the kid's portion; it is the same, but no fennel slaw. I love the slaw. To pack on the calories, I can always add a cup (not a bowl; it's too rich) of the garlic Parmesan crab bisque.

The grilled calamari salad is also really REALLY good, what with little mandarins and shiitake mushrooms. They used to make a fried oyster spinach salad. It's so good. They wilt the greens with a vinaigrette. It's topped with some of those Scooby snacks. I was chatting with a couple at the chef's counter one time who were deciding what to order. I mentioned I missed that item. The chef said he'd make it for them; just order the fried oyster entree, and he'd make the salad. It's that kind of place. If you are happy, they are happy!
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    PIZZA cravings are back
  • lemurcat2
    The thing about oysters is they have "merroir." They all taste different depending where they grew. Merroir is like terroir, but from the sea instead of the land. There's a farm on the west side of Hood Canal (an extension of the Puget Sound) called Hama Hamma. The water from the Hamma Hamma river is nutrient-poor, so the oysters have a hard life. They are meaty, and not very "fatty." They are delicious, but they are OH SO different from, say, these Totten Inlet oysters I ate yesterday. There's a farm at the mouth of the Umpqua River that is inside of a triangle-shaped jetty system; it's almost all ocean water. Those little fellows have a good life, so they are very sweet and are easy to shuck.

This is one thing I like about getting them at restaurants, as you can do a flight of different oysters from different places and compare how they differ.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

This restaurant of which I spoke makes "fish and chips." I always skip the chips and get a salad because they just get their fries pre-cooked and frozen from a supply store. Not worth it. Their fish is done the same way as the oysters. It's made from the "catch of the day." Every now and then it's halibut. It's often rockfish, which is really good. If it's Lingcod, I have a hard time ordering anything other than that. Often I'll just order a side of fish. It still comes with fennel slaw, but no fries or salad. One time the chef asked, "You don't want it fried, right?" I thought about it and said, "Sure." He cooked it on the grill. Oh, my it was so good. Not many calories; sorry.

So next time I came in, I told my server that I was going to be a pain. I told her I wanted the fish and chips, but I wanted the fish grilled, not fried, and I wanted a salad instead of fries. She smiled and said, "What you want is fish and chips, hold the Panko, hold the fries, sub salad. It's what I usually order when I have lunch here." She also said she usually orders the kid's portion; it is the same, but no fennel slaw. I love the slaw. To pack on the calories, I can always add a cup (not a bowl; it's too rich) of the garlic Parmesan crab bisque.

The grilled calamari salad is also really REALLY good, what with little mandarins and shiitake mushrooms. They used to make a fried oyster spinach salad. It's so good. They wilt the greens with a vinaigrette. It's topped with some of those Scooby snacks. I was chatting with a couple at the chef's counter one time who were deciding what to order. I mentioned I missed that item. The chef said he'd make it for them; just order the fried oyster entree, and he'd make the salad. It's that kind of place. If you are happy, they are happy!

Sounds like a great place.

I recently was craving chowder and had some rockfish I wanted to use, so made a cod and rockfish chowder (I also used some turnips, since I only had one tiny potato). Turned out well. More cals than grilled fish, but really not too bad.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited January 2021
    PIZZA cravings are back

You’re welcome!
  • pancakerunner
    PIZZA cravings are back

You’re welcome!

might have to order...
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    PIZZA cravings are back

You’re welcome!

might have to order...

Go ahead. It's super simple.
    And you know you want to.:)
  • pancakerunner
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    PIZZA cravings are back

You’re welcome!

might have to order...

Go ahead. It's super simple.
    And you know you want to.:)

but where from... hmmm
  • pancakerunner
    ri247k06qbun.png
    it has been decidd.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    PIZZA cravings are back

ohhh yesss ztmnmfl65rwe.jpeg

this donut looks good too 8f5nxvbyb96j.jpeg

• pancakerunner
    PIZZA cravings are back

ohhh yesss ztmnmfl65rwe.jpeg

lftkfiejq9y3.png
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,709 Member

[/quote]

The donut... yessss!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Craving some cheap Kraft Mac and cheese topped with hot sauce. The mediocre Mac and cheese I had yesterday just made me want something better lol. ztcdf0b6axc3.jpeg
  • PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Not for me...but maybe someone out there would love this🤣

https://ca.indeed.com/job/candyologist-candy-and-chocolate-taste-tester-e5e3c95be1a8c1cb

‘Candyologist’ – Candy and Chocolate Taste Tester
    Candyfunhouse.ca
    Mississauga, ON
    Remote
    $30 an hour - Full-time, Contract, Permanent
    Do you love CANDY and CHOCOLATE?

Are you passionate about confectionary and exploring unreleased and existing products?

If so, this might be the perfect position for you!

We are currently looking for Full Time and Part Time Candy and Chocolate taste testers, also known as ‘Candyologists’!

Candidates should have enthusiasm and eagerness to try confectionary products. We are looking for honest and objective opinions on the products that will be taste tested. Candidates will be responsible for tasting and reviewing from the 3000 products we currently carry.

The candidates will also play an integral role in selecting the candies that will be a part of the first ever Candy Funhouse branded candy line. 10 new and original candy creations will be selected and narrowed down from 100’s of possible options. Here at Candy Funhouse, confectionary is a science!

Responsibilities:

Confectionary Taste Testing

· Taste samples objectively

· Consider aspects of Taste, Texture, and Quality

· Full Time Position will require in person taste testing

· Part Time Position will have confectionary products shipped remotely

Brief Product Description and Rating

Candidates will follow our in-house confectionary rating system
    A brief, two sentence description will be required for each product tested
    These descriptions may be incorporated on our website and social media
    Exemplify a passion for Candy and Chocolate Product through:

Taking pride in creative and imaginative product reviews
    Rating each product
    Being open to exploring your taste buds
    Enjoy tasting and
    Striving to being a big part of the creation and selection of the Candy Funhouse branded candy line
    Qualifications

High School Diploma
    Basic Writing Skills
    Good Communication Skills
    Fluent in English
    Passionate about Confectionary
    Open to Canadian and US citizens
    No Food Allergy
    18 years or older
    Applicants who have an interest in candy, pop culture, and media will be given preference.

No experience required.

Last day to apply is February 15th, 2021

Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Permanent

Salary: $30.00 per hour

Schedule:

8 hour shift
    Work remotely:

Yes
  • Noreenmarie1234
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »
    Not for me...but maybe someone out there would love this🤣

https://ca.indeed.com/job/candyologist-candy-and-chocolate-taste-tester-e5e3c95be1a8c1cb

‘Candyologist’ – Candy and Chocolate Taste Tester
    Candyfunhouse.ca
    Mississauga, ON
    Remote
    $30 an hour - Full-time, Contract, Permanent
    Do you love CANDY and CHOCOLATE?

Are you passionate about confectionary and exploring unreleased and existing products?

If so, this might be the perfect position for you!

We are currently looking for Full Time and Part Time Candy and Chocolate taste testers, also known as ‘Candyologists’!

Candidates should have enthusiasm and eagerness to try confectionary products. We are looking for honest and objective opinions on the products that will be taste tested. Candidates will be responsible for tasting and reviewing from the 3000 products we currently carry.

The candidates will also play an integral role in selecting the candies that will be a part of the first ever Candy Funhouse branded candy line. 10 new and original candy creations will be selected and narrowed down from 100’s of possible options. Here at Candy Funhouse, confectionary is a science!

Responsibilities:

Confectionary Taste Testing

· Taste samples objectively

· Consider aspects of Taste, Texture, and Quality

· Full Time Position will require in person taste testing

· Part Time Position will have confectionary products shipped remotely

Brief Product Description and Rating

Candidates will follow our in-house confectionary rating system
    A brief, two sentence description will be required for each product tested
    These descriptions may be incorporated on our website and social media
    Exemplify a passion for Candy and Chocolate Product through:

Taking pride in creative and imaginative product reviews
    Rating each product
    Being open to exploring your taste buds
    Enjoy tasting and
    Striving to being a big part of the creation and selection of the Candy Funhouse branded candy line
    Qualifications

High School Diploma
    Basic Writing Skills
    Good Communication Skills
    Fluent in English
    Passionate about Confectionary
    Open to Canadian and US citizens
    No Food Allergy
    18 years or older
    Applicants who have an interest in candy, pop culture, and media will be given preference.

No experience required.

Last day to apply is February 15th, 2021

Job Types: Full-time, Contract, Permanent

Salary: $30.00 per hour

Schedule:

8 hour shift
    Work remotely:

Yes

30 an hour !?!? Sign me up!