Running is boring and pointless

Replies

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited August 2018
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    kcs76 wrote: »
    @Mattyay what prompted you to become an anti-running crusader?

running for an hour was too hard! :laugh:

Especially when he ate back those carbs in just 1 minute.

i can just imagine him rage eating gels to get all those carbs in one minute...

I don't know if I can stomach enough food to eat back an hour of running in one minute!
    That's 14 sleeves of GU chews! Or my latest favourite: 8 stroopwafels.

The closest I could get is to try and drink 2L of soda. I might be able to do that in 60 seconds.

An hour of easy running for me is something like 7 miles or 800 calories give or take. What is that, like 4 or 5 donuts or a 7 on the stroopwafel scale?

Oh yeah, I can easily eat that back in 60 seconds. And I would love every. single. second.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    mmmmm.....someone said stroopwafel. I better go run.
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Does this seem pointless to you? Now I am fixated on getting some tonight.Thanks a lot @DX2JX2!!

tzn3h59f5k4z.jpg
  • OHFlamingo
    OHFlamingo Posts: 239 Member
    edited August 2018
    Before ill health, bad knees and a serious fall, I ran outside everyday; I'd wave to people on my way, see the chipmunks, squirrels, and birds, check out new routes, see new things, and definetly get a runner's "high". I never got the same feeling on a treadmill, so I stopped trying. Don't do anything "pointless" for exercise. or you will hate it! Now after, two new knees, I am using an elliptical that I can use seated. I get in about 20 miles a day, get my heart rate up, and get a good sweat going. I use it when I'm talking on the phone, or watching the news or a TV program. If I wasn't doing something besides just striding away, I'm sure it, too, would feel pointless. I notice that my hamstrings and quads are getting stronger, and my back pain is reduced. The elliptical was a suggestion from my pain management doctor. As for my choice of diet, I eat no red meat, and very little other meats, some fish, and use protein powder in my smoothies, as when I don't get enough protein, I find I am too hungry all the time. Good luck to all of us to find what works for us, and to keep doing it! The results are worth it!
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    edited August 2018
    madwells1 wrote: »
    Does this seem pointless to you? Now I am fixated on getting some tonight.Thanks a lot @DX2JX2!!

tzn3h59f5k4z.jpg

Some of these are GF. They're on my Not Allowed In The House list because I have no control around them. They're wonderful for long rides or hikes!

eta: I'm talking about the packaged ones that are sold in the sports nutrition area.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Y’all are just mean. I could have happily lived out my life without knowing what a stroopwafel was - but no - now I know. I want one. Where do you find them? How do you make them? So many questions. Google/Amazon/Pinterest here I come.
  • DX2JX2
    Y’all are just mean. I could have happily lived out my life without knowing what a stroopwafel was - but no - now I know. I want one. Where do you find them? How do you make them? So many questions. Google/Amazon/Pinterest here I come.

They're good enough from the store you don't need to bother making them yourself (at least to start). Readily available on Amazon though random grocery stores do carry them sometimes. Check the specialty cookie section.

Key is to heat the waffle up over your coffee cup so the caramel inside gets soft and runny. That's the classic way of eating them (though they're still delicious right out of the wrapper).
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

They're good enough from the store you don't need to bother making them yourself (at least to start). Readily available on Amazon though random grocery stores do carry them sometimes. Check the specialty cookie section.

Key is to heat the waffle up over your coffee cup so the caramel inside gets soft and runny. That's the classic way of eating them (though they're still delicious right out of the wrapper).

I was in Germany and The Netherlands a week ago and had them once during the trip... served warm with vanilla ice cream. Might have been the best part of the trip!
  • garystrickland357

Just what I needed - an enabler...
    (You know I’m joking)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    honey stinger makes some. sometimes they are breakfast, sometimes they are running fuel, and sometimes they are dessert. and they are indeed excellent with ice cream
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    honey stinger makes some. sometimes they are breakfast, sometimes they are running fuel, and sometimes they are dessert. and they are indeed excellent with ice cream
    Agreed. I've eaten as many (read: more) just because I wanted one (read: several) than I did to fuel a workout.
  • DX2JX2

Just what I needed - an enabler...
    (You know I’m joking)

When it comes to sweets, I enable like my name is Dr. Feelgood.

At 135 calories per, stroopwafels are a great dessert choice. Sweet enough to satisfy but low enough calorie to be very manageable within targets.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    I agree that running is boring, that's why I have to do it on a treadmill while I'm Netflixing. It's definitely not pointless. If I can eat an extra 400 calories because of a run, it's worth it.
  • dollarbill181
    dollarbill181 Posts: 67 Member
    I agree that running is boring, that's why I have to do it on a treadmill while I'm Netflixing. It's definitely not pointless. If I can eat an extra 400 calories because of a run, it's worth it.

When I do walk/jog on the treadmill with a good show on netflix I have to force myself to stop and hop off. Without netflix 20 minutes on the treadmill feels like an eternity.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    edited August 2018
    For me, running is a form of release after a hard day to clear my head. It not only helps me, but it helps my dogs too after they have been trapped inside while I am at work they have a lot of energy to burn off.

I have the advantage of living right across the street from my work, so I go home at lunch time and I run with my dogs. It's only around 20 minutes, but at least it's something. It also gives me only a short time to eat which was helpful because in the past I was going home for lunch and sitting on the couch watching TV and eating around 1500 calories just for lunch. No wonder I was gaining weight *face palm*

Most days I will take the dogs for another run after work if I don't have errands to run or if it's not storming out.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    and if you don't take the dogs out, eventually their energy will build up and they will remodel your house

2ka1jx3gqtqs.png
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    and if you don't take the dogs out, eventually their energy will build up and they will remodel your house

2ka1jx3gqtqs.png

Yes! :D:D
  • garystrickland357
    To address the topic (instead of stroopwafels) I think the OP is entitled to his opinion, but he certainly doesn’t speak for me. Now - I refer to a treadmill as a dreadmill - I despise them. I run outside. Down the street. Through the park. On country roads. Wherever. I enjoy it. It is a good mental break from work. It makes me feel good. It allows me to eat more (not why I do it - just a perk). It is anything but boring and pointless.