Calorie Counter

Message Boards Recipes
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• gutzbgongutzbgon Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    gutzbgon wrote: »
    @acpgee does it taste like KFC chicken? I'm in Australia and that's the first time I've seen that recipe after I looked it up.

The Chicago Tribune spice recipe is very close, although less salty. I ran the dried herbs through the food processor because real KFC is spotted with black flecks which I suspect are the dried herbs ground to a powder. I made up the spice mixture minus the flour to keep in the pantry. For coating 3 thighs mix a tablespoon of the spice mixture with a tablespoon of potato starch and 2 tablespoons of cornmeal. I think cornmeal gives a crunchier crust than the flour called for in the Chicago Tribune recipe.

I marinate the chicken pieces overnight in watered down yoghurt (buttermilk is traditional but hard to find in the UK, where I am) and I salt the marinade heavily to compensate for the spice mixture being less salty than real KFC. Before cooking I shake off excess marinade and toss chicken pieces with spice mixture in a plastic bag and shake to coat the chicken.

The spice mixture scorches easily so next time I will reduce the paprika. I did an experiment with each of the 11 herbs and spices in different compartments of a muffin tray. The paprika was the quickest to burn.

@apcgee Thank you for that, I will be trying it for sure!
  • acpgeeacpgee Member Posts: 5,452 Member Member Posts: 5,452 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    @acpgee does it taste like KFC chicken? I'm in Australia and that's the first time I've seen that recipe after I looked it up.

The Chicago Tribune spice recipe is very close, although less salty. I ran the dried herbs through the food processor because real KFC is spotted with black flecks which I suspect are the dried herbs ground to a powder. I made up the spice mixture minus the flour to keep in the pantry. For coating 3 thighs mix a tablespoon of the spice mixture with a tablespoon of potato starch and 2 tablespoons of cornmeal. I think cornmeal gives a crunchier crust than the flour called for in the Chicago Tribune recipe.

I marinate the chicken pieces overnight in watered down yoghurt (buttermilk is traditional but hard to find in the UK, where I am) and I salt the marinade heavily to compensate for the spice mixture being less salty than real KFC. Before cooking I shake off excess marinade and toss chicken pieces with spice mixture in a plastic bag and shake to coat the chicken.

The spice mixture scorches easily so next time I will reduce the paprika. I did an experiment with each of the 11 herbs and spices in different compartments of a muffin tray. The paprika was the quickest to burn.

@apcgee Thank you for that, I will be trying it for sure!

If you are doing the copycat coleslaw too, the secret ingredient is a little grated raw onion.
  • PKM0515PKM0515 Member Posts: 1,500 Member Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Roasted vegetables (zucchini; green pepper; red/yellow cherry tomatoes; mini red/yellow/purple potatoes) tossed with olive oil, a garlic clove, salt, pepper, and oregano before cooking. (I ate a small piece of feta cheese too.) For me, this is an achievement.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Member Posts: 1,602 Member Member Posts: 1,602 Member
    Chicken jalapeno cheese quesadillas. I leave the jalapeno out of mine cause I don't do heat.
    Snack of borlotti beans and carrots in leftover caribbean seafood boil sauce with gremolata.
    e2243qhq7rin.jpg
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Member Posts: 5,546 Member Member Posts: 5,546 Member
    Risotto w grated zucchini, telline (small clams), EVOO, broth, low fat cream, black pepper, white wine, and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.msdjnz9dqhv6.jpg
  • djmichealsdjmicheals Member Posts: 475 Member Member Posts: 475 Member
    On Sunday I made a Mississippi Pot Roast, it's our favorite. Shredded it up for hot beef sandwiches on a hoagie bun with mashed potatoes, and a sliced hoagie. It was leftovers for dinner last night only with brown gravy over mashed potatoes and no bread. There was enough of that for DH to take for lunch today. I brought a cold meat sandwich for lunch.

Tonight will be ribeye steaks and baked sweet potatoes with some kind of veg.
    Pho for breakfast thrown together with last night's leftovers.
    86t8x3pzppri.jpeg
  • xtineartxtineart Member Posts: 189 Member Member Posts: 189 Member
    Had an alcohol free risotto with roast Red onion and butternut squash for dinner tonight
  • Diatonic12Diatonic12 Member Posts: 11,688 Member Member Posts: 11,688 Member
    Turkey pot pie with puffed pastry crust. Homemade roasted turkey and vege. A great sauce and some tasty waves of flavor. It was bangin' good.
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Member Posts: 5,546 Member Member Posts: 5,546 Member
    Today I made chicken salad just for me and put it on a toasted pita. It was so good. I think I'll make it tomorrow again. For the guys I made pasta w pesto.
    Breakfast of Vietnamese savoury pancakes made from last night's leftovers.
    4rr46e35wq5f.jpeg
    Spaghetti w clams.e73qnq1jbwd0.jpg
  • LeanMe_28LeanMe_28 Member Posts: 16 Member Member Posts: 16 Member
    3w47gc9zc9gi.jpeg
    Pumpkin soup
    edited October 31
    Gnocchi w homemade tomato sauce and freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano.7njl1myk9lmc.jpg
    Leftovers management. Breakfast was bubble and squeak made out of leftover mash and veg.
    87g3i1ox8tyu.jpeg
    Vegetable pie w spinach, radicchio, egg, and feta cheese.4fiu0bvswwtm.jpg
  • xodreamariexoxodreamariexo Member Posts: 60 Member Member Posts: 60 Member
    Chicken Alfredo! 150g blackened grilled chicken breast, 84g pasta, 64 grams alfredo sauce, 1 strip of bacon turned to bits, & a handful of peas 😋
  • vamanvaman Member Posts: 244 Member Member Posts: 244 Member
    Chicken Alfredo! 150g blackened grilled chicken breast, 84g pasta, 64 grams alfredo sauce, 1 strip of bacon turned to bits, & a handful of peas 😋

That sounds very good.
    Guay teow fried with brassicas and chinese sausage for lunch.
    v4kbbgaqcl4j.jpeg