Options
2»

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    I'm presuming that's not for a 5k?! :laugh:

@TavistockToad, of course not! Geez. What do you think I am, an amateur? It's a 10k. :smiley:

I was gonna go with park run first... :bigsmile:
  • amsuraj
    amsuraj Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    What kind of race lol? I have a pre-race routine, but doubt it applies too much to runners.
    What kind of race lol? I have a pre-race routine, but doubt it applies too much to runners.

hmm.. please elaborate
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    amsuraj wrote: »
    hmm.. please elaborate

I road race motorcycles - still a VERY physical type of racing, but not exactly running LOL.

Pre-race routine (assuming pit has been all set up and practice sessions have gone well, and the bike and pit crew are ready to go):
    Food: tend to carb-load at dinner the night before. Some light protein and coffee for breakfast. Lunch is light as well, again, mostly protein based.
    Pre-race:
    • Start out with some stretching and making sure I'm warmed up.
    • When the race 2 ahead of mine goes out, I make sure I've got my suit half on, boots on, and everything else is laid out, ready to go. Throw on my headphones and jam out to whatever music is feeling good that day that will help pump me up a bit and get me focused. Might read back over some notes from prior coaching sessions or just things I want to keep in mind.
    • When the race right before mine gets the green, I make a final bathroom run (usually more nervous pee than anything).
    • Once first call comes, get my suit all the way on, relax, breath, focus on flow.
    • At second call, get the last of my gear on (helmet, gloves), and then I typically squat down by the bike and just look at it. Not looking for anything in particular, but will check my bolt marks, and my main goal is just reassure myself the bike is ready and to let go of the extra "thinking."
    • Final call means get up, shake off, get on bike, and head out once my crew has pulled the warmers and stands.
    • Warm up lap I try to get a relatively clear position so I can finalize anything I had been working on that day, check the track surface, grip levels, tire feel, etc.
    • As I roll up to the grid, I pop open my visor on my helmet. Get my grid spot, and once my wave is up, make sure I'm in 1st gear.
    • At the 2 board, I close my visor. That's my "shut out the world" trigger - I use that action as my way of closing out everything else and focusing on what is in front of me. Deciding on my path once we launch, and leaving everything else. Once the 1 board goes sideways, run up the RPMS to my preference, hold the clutch so it's just barely pulling, hold the bike with my foot, and go at the movement of the flag.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I set out my race kit the night before.

Day of the race: Drink 2 pints of water, eat breakfast around 90 minutes before the race, poop, nervous poop, run....

Sounds about right!

OP depending on the distance I may focus a bit more on carb loading in the last couple of days before the race (I almost invariably have a spaghetti dinner the night before, a bit of a ritual) and if it's a longer race I'll check what nutrition the race organizers are offering on the course. If it's something I haven't trained with before I'll make sure to take along my own gels / energy bars (if I'm doing a triathlon)
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    A week before the race
    - Make sure all my tools are ready and working.
    - Make sure my bike is being looked at professionally.
    - Begin resting while still doing ultra light exercises and eating (minding my calorie and macros).
    Two days prior to the race.
    - Start eating high carbohydrate meals.
    - Stop doing ultra light exercises.
    - Drink plenty of water.
    - Pick up bike from the shop.
    - Prepare pre ride meal and ride meals.
    - make sure i have everything ready one last time.
    Day of race.
    - Wake up two hours before the race.
    - Eat my pre ride meal.
    - Ride to win.

Dunno if that was a good series of events leading to a race?