The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• laughingdakini1
    laughingdakini1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am not a drinker although my whole family of origin was/is. I'm happy to be your friend if you want. Good luck with it. I was thinking about how glad I am that I never became a real drinker--if I had done it for the past 40 or so years, even if I only spent $50.00 a week on it, that would have been over $100,000.00 down the drain, plus strain on my health and appearance that I don't need. Aging is tough enough without that!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    @nuffer Congrats on one year! Wow- bravo! :)
    I am similar; i started in high school with peach schnapps in a styrofoam cup at parties... and took a small break when the kids were little, and then like a snowball going downhill, my drinking gained steam. Now, I'm 50.

And there is no doubt in my mind it takes a support system to help you and me stay sober. I'm really happy for you!! :)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I am not a drinker although my whole family of origin was/is. I'm happy to be your friend if you want. Good luck with it. I was thinking about how glad I am that I never became a real drinker--if I had done it for the past 40 or so years, even if I only spent $50.00 a week on it, that would have been over $100,000.00 down the drain, plus strain on my health and appearance that I don't need. Aging is tough enough without that!

I'm convinced there is a genetic component to alcoholism. I'm happy for you that you never got this disease. And are richer for it! :)
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I'm still here. I've been reading the thread but just didn't have much to say. I'm feeling more than a little depressed about all of this. I miss my granddaughters dreadfully. This separation is incredibly painful for me and I imagine they don't understand where Granny went. Their mother (my daughter) is militant about the social distancing and I have been dutifully doing my part but she's not making an exception for us. :( I am stress eating and have totally blown it as far as my diet is concerned. Tomorrow I talk to the dietitian and do not want to weigh in. I sound and feel like Eeyore so I've just been laying low. If the sun would come out that would surely help. I do read and continue to be inspired by all of you. Welcome @nuffer. We are happy to have you join us "out loud" :)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Aww Jen, I'm an Eeyore right now too, just a bad attitude! I think it's normal in these times to feel down, try to pep myself up but it only sticks for so long, we'll get thru this tho💗 7:24 am in Vegas another 24
  • jamacianredhair
    jamacianredhair Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @jamacianredhair I just read this line from my Tired of thinking about drinking blog I follow: Everyone who quits long-term has a last day 1. Wouldn't it be nice to have no more day 1's? And I am sorry about your dad. Mine died 4 years ago and I definitely had an uptick in my alcohol consumption. I thought it was helping and obviously it just adds to our misery. Anyway welcome to our forum. We are glad you have joined us.

Thanks 😁