Calorie Counter

Message Boards Challenges
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• Beka3695Beka3695 Member Posts: 3,344 Member Member Posts: 3,344 Member
    @FeelinFooFoo -we are pretty much open where I live but it is different... just different.
    Now, I have never been one to just sit at a bar for hours, but restaurant bars are different.

I started my AF journey at the beginning at the beginning of COVID. It was easy to not socialize by necessity. As you know, the last month I’ve been staying with my daughter to assist with her new son. I am a real homebody!!! I know it won’t be long until I’m back home and ready to see friends.

For the past week while on my walks I have been practicing convos in my head about how I will go out and NOT drink. How I will say that I’ve cut it out. How I will address new people when they offer. Will I say “No thanks. I don’t drink”. Will they ask questions as to why? If so, how will I respond to this?

I am excited to try the new skills I have developed... in my head ☺️☺️☺️
  • FeelinFooFooFeelinFooFoo Member Posts: 4,332 Member Member Posts: 4,332 Member
    Another day of rediscovery. Started back logging my food & drink again today, back on my diet, nothing too complicated, just counting cals & focusing on healthy eating, more fruit, more veg & plenty water. Still gona allow myself the odd treat but just fit it around my calories. The wee bit of exercise I'm doing will help to off set if I happen to eat a little extra takeaway once in a while. I'm usually on the go all day anyway at work so I feel like I'm burning a lot of cals anyway. (Kinda feel like I deserve the odd treat right now, too).

This time round dieting & trying to lose weight i feel far more hopeful cos I am aware of the many many cals I won't be consuming either through alcohol or hangover carb-tastic banquets 🤣
  • Beka3695Beka3695 Member Posts: 3,344 Member Member Posts: 3,344 Member
    @donimfp - this is the warning on products in Florida and Georgia. California might have additional warnings. CA tends to over warn... lol

kfko7zs9k86h.jpeg
  • RubyRed427RubyRed427 Member Posts: 2,695 Member Member Posts: 2,695 Member
    Interesting findings about link of alcohol and cancer.
    Two observations: the blatant marketing of alcohol to women... all those "fun" colors and flavors. The greed of these harmful companies is obvious.
    Second, Miley Cyrus is 6 months sober. First, she needed to quit because of vocal cord surgery. But then she realized that there is a genetic disposition to alcoholism in her family, and that she just feels 100% better each morning.
    https://people.com/music/miley-cyrus-talks-sobriety-after-vocal-surgery/
    edited June 23
  • FeelinFooFooFeelinFooFoo Member Posts: 4,332 Member Member Posts: 4,332 Member
    JenT304 wrote: »
    I too am having crazy dreams. Maybe my brain is wondering where the mind numbing drug is. Yesterday after watching the news (really not a good idea these days) I felt an incredible and not fleeting urge, for a drink. But for me there is no such thing as A drink...it only would want some company in the form of at least 3 more. I countered the longing with a cookie and thoughts of how good I am feeling sober and reminded myself of the feelings of shame and despair I feel when I do indulge. Plus I have lost 5 lbs and I am not screwing that up with alcohol. 2 big parties this weekend. My FIL turns 90 and my granddaughter will be 4. <3 These are perfect excuses NOT to drink as I want to enjoy and remember every second of both of these joyous events. Instead of despairing and fretting, "Oh there is a party, I will be tempted," I feel completely the opposite. I have to give credit to everyone on this thread for my sobriety and happiness. You have been a huge part of my journey. XO Jen

I'm the same and I keep reminding myself of it as well. It's the same way I was with smoking cigarettes, and then again with using the electronic cigarette. A chain smoker. Same way with food too sometimes, I binge and don't feel full until it's too late and I feel ill. Same thing with alcohol. It's like a kind of greed for more overtakes me & I will finish the bottle. I'm not 'done' until it's done. I read something regarding quitting cigs / ecigs. And it said "any time you think to yourself I could really go a cigarette, just one puff." To always change that around in your head and instead remind yourself there is no such thing as 'just one puff', so instead ask yourself "do I want to go back to smoking full time?"

I'm kinda applying that logic to the alcohol. Right now, I don't even want 1 sip, but should I say to myself "I could really go A drink...." I'm gona turn it around and ask myself "do I want to go back to drinking the way I was, and be back at square 1?." The answer is no. Now I just need to start applying that logic to my diet, which is suffering I dunno if I'm eating more just because I'm dealing with so many other things but I definetly have to stop eating like this. I bought Twinkies cos the supermarket had them on special deal. I have never seen them here in UK before and it was my first time trying them. After my 3rd I'm feeling pretty crappy. Oh well. Tomorrow is a new day.
  • RubyRed427RubyRed427 Member Posts: 2,695 Member Member Posts: 2,695 Member
    I love your ideas @FeelinFooFoo ! It's about how we spin it in our brain. I am proud of all of us!

I woke this morning and had a full day of moving boxes and furniture for my son who is moving home with my ex. I felt so fresh and energetic when I woke up and faced the day with NO hangover or headache. I ate my greek yogurt with strawberries for breakfast, instead of having to feed a hangover with an egg Mcmuffin.

Tomorrow, my daughter is having her wisdom teeth out, and I would not want to be relying on alcohol to deal with the nerves I am having. Instead, I can just give myself some positive self talk that everything will be ok. I don't have to dive into a bottle, and then screw up the day feeling ever more anxious. If I were still drinking, I am sure I would have hidden a bottle of white wine in my closet for a few swigs to calm my nerves. And before I would know it the bottle would be empty and I would be a terrible "nurse" for my daughter.

I agree with Lottie who said even two glasses of wine make me feel quite sick the next day. I know as I age, even a little alcohol just doesn't agree with me. I know that my menopause symptoms are exacerbated as well.

@JenT304 Have a wonderful weekend!! Lots to celebrate. <3