Calorie Counter

Message Boards Challenges
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427RubyRed427 Member Posts: 2,693 Member Member Posts: 2,693 Member
    @lorrainequiche59 so nice to read your wise words! Always good to see your posts.
  • FeelinFooFooFeelinFooFoo Member Posts: 4,314 Member Member Posts: 4,314 Member
    @donimfp fingers crossed for your family that all will be alright 🤞

And congrats on 80 days. You are doing so well. Really pleased for your success !
  • FeelinFooFooFeelinFooFoo Member Posts: 4,314 Member Member Posts: 4,314 Member
    Thanks @lorrainequiche59 😊

As always, good to be back ! Albeit with different goals, but I'm on my journey and I will finally, one day, reach where I'm 100% comfortable ! But, I'm gona be having a lotta AF days (I'm determined!) So I'm like a part time Sober Squad Member 😏😄
    Thanks @RubyRed427 🤗 the support offered on this thread has been a MASSIVE source of much needed help for me, and motivation, and inspiration!

I will give moderating a fair bash. I have honestly never really given it a fair run before. If I can't? I just go back to AF attempt.

Really hope your feeling much better now, get well soon 🧡💜
  • lorrainequiche59lorrainequiche59 Member Posts: 817 Member Member Posts: 817 Member
    nuffer wrote: »
    I passed the 500 day mark and didn't even notice. It does get easier.
    For the former beer drinkers, I've found a source for Lagunitas brewing Hop seltzer. It's not NA beer -- there's no malt, just a zero calorie hop-flavored water with a touch of yeast. I used to homebrew and hang out with a bunch of hopheads. I miss my IPA style beers, and this is an excellent substitute. In California they have a version combined with cannabis extract that is quite good. Not available in Washington but it's fairly simple to do DIY addition of extract. Highly recommended.
    516 days, I never would have guessed it'd be possible.

Woo hoo 516 days !

I always find your posts so inspiring.
    Woke up this morning and had 2 brilliant moments ! Firstly, I was convinced I had to get up for work, then realised it was a day off ! Pure heaven! Also.....the wash of relief that came over me when I confirmed with myself there was no signs of distress from a hangover!

Must be programmed into my head 'oh it's the weekend? Oh thank God you don't appear to have drank last night!' 🙏 the thought of a hangover makes me squirm 😖
    @FeelinFooFoo I know you are much younger than me so you probably dont remember Shirley Temple. I was also thinking about your little brother and wondering how he is doing with his drinking.
    nuffer wrote: »
    I passed the 500 day mark and didn't even notice. It does get easier.
    For the former beer drinkers, I've found a source for Lagunitas brewing Hop seltzer. It's not NA beer -- there's no malt, just a zero calorie hop-flavored water with a touch of yeast. I used to homebrew and hang out with a bunch of hopheads. I miss my IPA style beers, and this is an excellent substitute. In California they have a version combined with cannabis extract that is quite good. Not available in Washington but it's fairly simple to do DIY addition of extract. Highly recommended.
    516 days, I never would have guessed it'd be possible.

I keep hearing it gets easier, I sure hope so!!! And soon!
    Congrats on 500 :)
    donimfp wrote: »
    @RubyRed427, so glad you're back in the game. This time of total AF for 80 days, I've actually lost 21.4 lbs. so far. I'm the same way. The combination of no alcohol, no drinking food, and LOTS of water seems to be the magic bullet for me.

That's significant weight loss~ awesome! I agree with your water comment. I cannot get enough water and keep on chugging it. I think that does help with weight loss.
    One last thing, I read that Dax Shepard relapsed. That made me so sad. But he is sober now and admitted it. I also remember how much lying and deceiving you have to do when you hide your addiction. So much work!
  • donimfpdonimfp Member Posts: 655 Member Member Posts: 655 Member
    Wow, that "kitten" button is fast. I even tried to doctor up the "naughty" word.
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    @FeelinFooFoo I know you are much younger than me so you probably dont remember Shirley Temple. I was also thinking about your little brother and wondering how he is doing with his drinking.

Lol she was the cute little blonde actress from the 1930s. I have heard of a Shirley temple drink before, I should try one some time. I take it they have an alcohol and an AF version.

My brother drank to excess most days of the holiday. Being a 20 year old lad, he found it too tempting having access to the all inclusive. He had quite a few bad hangovers. He missed one of the trips we had booked cos he was needing his bed all day. And he embarrassed himself quite badly one evening 😐 he didn't listen to any of my advice, he was downing drinks like it was non alcoholic and drinking lots and lots of shots, raki, tequila......He was trying to keep up with some of the guys from Russia, but they were guys in their 40's and 50's who have most likely built up a big tolerance to alcohol, judging by the amount they were drinking and still appeared sober. So I explained to him that this is why he shouldn't expect to drink the same as them and not feel like crap! But, he hasn't drank anything since back home. But he has been out at his girlfriends since yesterday so hmmm I dunno if he is back on it or not.

He said 'lesson learnt' the day after he had embarrassed himself and I guess that's true all he can do is try and not have it happen again. Ain't nothing worse than waking up next day, full of regret, fear, anxiety and paranoia after you have made a show of yourself....I have had to face that feeling more times than I would have wanted ! 🙈🙉🙊
  • donimfpdonimfp Member Posts: 655 Member Member Posts: 655 Member
    When I was little my grandparents always ordered a Shirley Temple for me and a Roy Rogers for my brother. I think they were the same drink. Sugary nonalcoholic drinks in a martini glass with a cherry. Good memories.
  • JenT304JenT304 Member Posts: 621 Member Member Posts: 621 Member
    I love Shirley Temples and make them for my grandgirls as a special treat. I just use gingerale and the juice in the maraschino cherry glass, plus cherries of course! For me, I use seltzer water and the cherry juice. I'm trying to cut out soda.