Calorie Counter

Message Boards Challenges
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• donimfpdonimfp Member Posts: 762 Member Member Posts: 762 Member
    One of my favorite perks of being alcohol free is the extra energy like you said @RubyRed427. I had to drive to Austin (30 miles away) to get a crown this morning— the dental kind. I broke a tooth about a month ago but waited till I was off work. That would’ve been about my limit before. I probably would have come home and had drinks to reward myself for dental bravery. Instead I made a potato casserole, a broccoli casserole, a yummy dip, cut veggies for dip, and pulled out some Thanksgiving-y decorations for our tiny (4-person) meal tomorrow. And cleaned up as I went. I never would have had the energy or stamina to do that while drinking. And I’m not even tired now. It probably took almost 4 months for this energy to show up once I quit drinking. It’s an unexpected blessing!
  • RubyRed427RubyRed427 Member Posts: 2,967 Member Member Posts: 2,967 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    One of my favorite perks of being alcohol free is the extra energy like you said @RubyRed427. I had to drive to Austin (30 miles away) to get a crown this morning— the dental kind. I broke a tooth about a month ago but waited till I was off work. That would’ve been about my limit before. I probably would have come home and had drinks to reward myself for dental bravery. Instead I made a potato casserole, a broccoli casserole, a yummy dip, cut veggies for dip, and pulled out some Thanksgiving-y decorations for our tiny (4-person) meal tomorrow. And cleaned up as I went. I never would have had the energy or stamina to do that while drinking. And I’m not even tired now. It probably took almost 4 months for this energy to show up once I quit drinking. It’s an unexpected blessing!

Happy your crown was successful.
    Yes!!! The extra energy and time we now have is crazy! Hours and hours of time and endless energy. Happy Thanksgiving!
    I love reading and learning about how the brain works. Here is a good video on Dopamine Detox. Around 5 min. mark, he speaks about alcohol.
  • FeelinFooFooFeelinFooFoo Member Posts: 4,639 Member Member Posts: 4,639 Member
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    I love reading and learning about how the brain works. Here is a good video on Dopamine Detox. Around 5 min. mark, he speaks about alcohol.

Great wee video ! Enjoyed watching that.

And regarding all the extra time we have now that were not drinking. I have bags of time, I am getting so much stuff done. And more importantly, I now have the ENERGY to do it all. So much more energised since kicking the booze.

I am considering looking for a yoga class to join, once we are done with lockdown. It would help me in many ways. It's obviously great for physical & mental health, plus it would be a healthy way to pass time, and hopefully I could meet some friends there with shared Intrests. (Another great benefit from cutting out drink, having to find new ways to spend your hard earned cash!)
  • FeelinFooFooFeelinFooFoo Member Posts: 4,639 Member Member Posts: 4,639 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    Yes! We did it!!! (and if you didn't, no worries . . . today is a completely new day). I'm looking forward to getting back to the work routine tomorrow, but then it's only 3 short weeks to the Christmas/winter vacation. For those of us in the U.S., I guess we're lucky to have this "practice holiday" before that one.

I thoroughly enjoyed my holiday, with a few brief, socially distanced and masked visits from loved ones. I was out of my fake cocktails (Curious Elixirs), so made do with my new concoction of POM plus grapefruit juice plus sparkling water. It's festive looking and not too sweet. I really do still rely on my substitutes. This morning, the AF whiskey and tequila have arrived. Even if it's AF, I'm not going to try out either one in the morning! But I'll let y'all know how the Irish coffee goes after this afternoon's tree decorating.

Congratulations, everyone. Enjoy this holiday wind-down. 21 weeks for me today (147 days). I'm really grateful for my sobriety. It makes everything better, once the very hard bits are over.

Look forward to hearing your verdict on the AF drinks!

Big well done on the 21 weeks wow that is amazing, you must feel so proud! 💖
    My anxiety does not happen often but it still does. So, I take a Half of lorizapam when I really need it which is maybe twice in a month. It takes the edge off. But overall, much less anxiety. Maybe in your second month it will taper off even more. @FeelinFooFoo
    @donimfp Last night, I felt so anxious I could not fall asleep but the previous week I slept well. I think it does occur when I feel very overwhelmed with pandemic and school.