Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Challenges
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427RubyRed427 Member Posts: 3,058 Member Member Posts: 3,058 Member
    My sister will be celebrating one year this week! She is now on MFP and I am not sure if she will see this thread. I hope everything I have said regarding her would be ok with her. I love her so much. We are best friends. I am so proud of her. The last night she drank (one year ago) she nearly died from the alcohol and then had to work the very next day (she was on a business trip). I shudder at how awful that whole week must have been.
    My girlfriend and I were reflecting at the mysterious occurrence that happened last year to her. She was at a family party and she had 2-3 glasses of wine and then suddenly she could not move. She was frozen. Her husband had to rush her to the hospital. It is still a mystery as to why her body reacted to alcohol like that.
    She has drank several times since and never had that problem again.
    Side note: She was kicked by a horse and her liver was lacerated nearly in half. After this accident, she says she doesn't feel that well when she drinks even a few glasses. She wondered if that is related to her accident. I wonder. I have no idea.
  • JenT304JenT304 Member Posts: 785 Member Member Posts: 785 Member
    @RubyRed427 Surely having your liver that damaged by a horse would cause any alcohol intake to affect her worse than someone that has not had that injury. One wonders why she indulges at all at this point!
  • Up_n_RunningUp_n_Running Member Posts: 91 Member Member Posts: 91 Member
    Well, according to my bro, he is gona try and stay away from the alcohol. He said he can't bare the thought of suffering another hangover ! It is progress that he is saying that. It gives me a boost to know that I am modelling good behaviour for him. It provides me extra motivation to stick with this. 👌

I picked up kombucha tonight (only 7 cals) as a treat for myself. Only 2nd time trying it and it's really nice. I'm fed up with AF beers / wines for now so I think I have found my new 'alcohol substitute' 🍾 🥳
    @Up_n_Running You ARE modelling good behavior for your brother. He sees how much happier you are without alcohol and it is starting to sink in. That is so great.
    I like kumbacha too. I tried AF gin, beer and wine, but they are a very slippery slope for me personally. I need to stay away from those I think.
    JenT304 wrote: »
    @Up_n_Running You ARE modelling good behavior for your brother. He sees how much happier you are without alcohol and it is starting to sink in. That is so great.
    I like kumbacha too. I tried AF gin, beer and wine, but they are a very slippery slope for me personally. I need to stay away from those I think.

I think the AF versions might eventually trigger me. I was having them too regularly.

I will be able to buy a fake bottle of red wine if its a special occasion cos I now look at AF red wine almost as a health drink 🤣🤣 all the benefits of antioxidants as regular stuff......minus the toxins, high calories, hangover and price tag. I feel like I cheated life 😉😆🍷
    Hi everyone ☺ hope everyone is well.

My brother has been chatting to me about taking a break / cut down his drinking and has been genuinely listening to my tips and hints. He wanted to drink tonight but we agreed to bake a cake together, instead, and now we are sipping Sparkling water with a slice of lime (so super refreshing)

I pretensed to him it was a 'mojito' lol he is looking forward to waking up hangover free at the weekend for a change. Might go a run together tomorrow. I don't think he plans to quit alcohol completely, but it will be good for him to cut back how often / how much he drinks. 👍

My brother has been chatting to me about taking a break / cut down his drinking and has been genuinely listening to my tips and hints. He wanted to drink tonight but we agreed to bake a cake together, instead, and now we are sipping Sparkling water with a slice of lime (so super refreshing)

I pretensed to him it was a 'mojito' lol he is looking forward to waking up hangover free at the weekend for a change. Might go a run together tomorrow. I don't think he plans to quit alcohol completely, but it will be good for him to cut back how often / how much he drinks. 👍

I think that is incredible progress. Your positive influence is really helping so many people!
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

I think that is incredible progress. Your positive influence is really helping so many people!

So happy for him that he will wake up fresh and not feeling sick ! 🙌
    He's still sober !

Had to talk him down earlier, he told me that 'Wolfie' was winning! (I have introduced him to Wolfie, or the wine witch 🧙‍♀️or similar voice in your head that tries to get more booze)

I had him up and out this morning jogging, he had a natural high and was 'buzzing' he cooked omelette for him and my OH (he doesn't normally cook) he was singing away and happy! Then he was lifting weights with my OH. He began to talk about alcohol later on but admitted its just through boredom. So we talked it out and agreed to go for walk tomorrow on nature trail and work out again. All things he agreed he can't do with a hangover.

Spent the evening chilling out, watching TV or movies. Just a relaxing weekend. He agreed that if he played the 'fast forward game' he wouldn't just have 4 beers. It would end up in carnage as usual ! So glad he is opening his eyes up to the reality of it. Even if he choses to drink next weekend at least he knows what he is doing and that there is consequences. Its definitely progress, and what a difference to see him looking healthy this morning and not looking grey and sick. 👍
    @Up_n_Running That is terrific progress.
    I'm in an AirBNB because I took a road trip to visit my daughter at college. We were at Target; have you seen how much wine they sell? There is a huge aisle of alcohol.
    I did daydream for a moment that it would be so nice to buy a bottle and drink it at this Air BNB. But then again.... I would wake up nauseous and have a racing night heart beat.
    So, I bought Fiji water and cashews.

I just know that nothing has changed. I still cannot stop at one drink. That's a fact. I am starting to accept it.

Had a lovely evening watching Marcella on Netflix with the hubs. Both of us drinking seltzer with just a splash of ginger ale. It was quite refreshing. We rearranged the furniture and are amazed at the difference it makes! Just having and enjoyable and sober weekend.
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Had a lovely evening watching Marcella on Netflix with the hubs. Both of us drinking seltzer with just a splash of ginger ale. It was quite refreshing. We rearranged the furniture and are amazed at the difference it makes! Just having and enjoyable and sober weekend.

I watched Marcella- very good show!!!
    Happy you had a nice weekend!
    @Beka3695 Congratulations! You should be bursting with pride! Thank you for sharing your journey here with all of us. ~hugs~ Jen
    @Beka3695
    ac4q691sp8ny.gif
    You should feel sooo proud of yourself, what an achievement!! 🥳🥳👏👏
    @beka3695 Bravo, you amazing woman! So proud of you!
    Congrats! :)