Welcome to the new Community design. We know there are some big changes to get used to as well some challenges and bugs. Please check out our post about New Updates To The Community as well as Outstanding Bugs. We will continue to collect feedback and bug issues and will work to make improvements.

The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 3,498 Member
    @InkSlinger99 So happy for you and your decision. That takes a lot of effort and determination. Keep up the good work!
  • RubyRed427
    So the short answer to the question of why people so often drink more than they intend is that every drink creates a feeling of anxiety as it wears off, and you need another drink to replace this feeling of anxiety with another feeling of relaxation, and as you constantly chase this feeling of relaxation you become increasingly intoxicated.

excerpt from alcoholexplained website.
    Here is the URL for the blog entry.... https://www.alcoholexplained.com/2018/08/26/why-you-drink-more-than-you-want-to/
  • RubyRed427
    walela617 wrote: »
    Hi JenT (and all other posters), I am ALL IN! I officially announce my "DAY 1" will be Wednesday, August 18th, 2021 (because it will my 63rd birthday and I would like that date to be my "Soberversary", but I actually began abstaining as of August 11th. (I guess I could call it my "detox week"!) I was never a daily drinker but a "binger", which basically means, "No 'OFF' button" after the first one! (*VERY* dangerous!) I must accept that I need to be 100% alcohol-FREE! I even made a little rhyme about it: "I'm one of the ones who can't have just one; so I have decided that I should have NONE!" :blush:

Wishing the best to everyone - we can do this!

Sounds like a great "soberanniversary" date! Happy Birthday! Being sober is the best gift ever:)
  • RubyRed427
    MrsG1994 wrote: »
    Yes we can! I am sober, too. When I told some new work friends, they all looked at me and were like: Are you serious?!?! We’re all in our late forties so I felt like we are a little bit old to question someone else’s decision to do anything for themselves 😂. Anyway, I wanted to recommend the book: Quit Like A Woman by Holly Whitaker. It finally got me to quit. Best of everything to everyone here! ♥️

I read half of the book but you inspired me to finish it. Thanks for the reminder! Happy you are sober too!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,099 Member
    walela617 wrote: »
    Hi JenT (and all other posters), I am ALL IN! I officially announce my "DAY 1" will be Wednesday, August 18th, 2021 (because it will my 63rd birthday and I would like that date to be my "Soberversary", but I actually began abstaining as of August 11th. (I guess I could call it my "detox week"!) I was never a daily drinker but a "binger", which basically means, "No 'OFF' button" after the first one! (*VERY* dangerous!) I must accept that I need to be 100% alcohol-FREE! I even made a little rhyme about it: "I'm one of the ones who can't have just one; so I have decided that I should have NONE!" :blush:

Wishing the best to everyone - we can do this!

I am with you on the no off button. That is me to the tee!!!

Happy birthday and congratulations on day 1!!!