Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Burn 500 calories in 30 minutes

Options
13»

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    @tbright1965

Map My apps all seem to give astronomic calorie estimates, think you are very wise to take those estimates with a large pinch of salt. That rate of burn would equate to more than 400w average - that's the realm of elite pro riders.

Strava gives me numbers that correspond pretty close to a power meter. In lumpy countryside and with poor aero 17+mph average is about 600/hr (net) for me. Long, slower speed rides it's closer to 500/hr net cals.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,034 Member
    Options
    How many people actually read these workout routines at the links? (I know Azdak did, at least the first one. ;) ).

I mean . . . per the 2nd one, all a 150-pound woman needs to do to burn 500 calories is jump rope for 42 continuous minutes. No prob for the average woman who wants to lose a few pounds, right? ;)

And we're all over here comparing mostly cycling and running burns with . . . this stuff. I'm not sure whether we're all amateurs, or they are. ;)
  • reality7001
    reality7001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    https://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/5-ways-burn-500-calories-30-minutes?utm_campaign=shp_trueanthem_evergreen&utm_content=5b4ce44704d3010e9c8c9112&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I came across this article on social media and it got me thinking about how many of these "500 calories in 20/30 minute" gimmicks I see in magazines and all over social media. It takes me a good 1.5 HOURS to burn 500 calories because I am a small lady.

I hate how they advertise workouts like these because most people won't burn that many calories. My sister and daughter think anyone who does one of these will burn over 500. I think promoting "burn 500 calorie" workouts exacerbates the misknowledge about diet and fitness. Anyone else roll their eyes at things like these? Or do you think they are a good idea because the "high calorie burn" motivates people to be active anyways?

• reality7001
    reality7001 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    According to this app swimming laps can burn hundreds of calories in a short period of time...
  • rwin1
    rwin1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    https://www.shape.com/fitness/cardio/5-ways-burn-500-calories-30-minutes?utm_campaign=shp_trueanthem_evergreen&utm_content=5b4ce44704d3010e9c8c9112&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

I came across this article on social media and it got me thinking about how many of these "500 calories in 20/30 minute" gimmicks I see in magazines and all over social media. It takes me a good 1.5 HOURS to burn 500 calories because I am a small lady.

I hate how they advertise workouts like these because most people won't burn that many calories. My sister and daughter think anyone who does one of these will burn over 500. I think promoting "burn 500 calorie" workouts exacerbates the misknowledge about diet and fitness. Anyone else roll their eyes at things like these? Or do you think they are a good idea because the "high calorie burn" motivates people to be active anyways?

• rwin1
    rwin1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You just gotta up the intensity! I burn about 400 on a 30 min run but that’s going for it
  • blobby10
    blobby10 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I use 400-600 calories in my 90 minute morning workout according to my HRM. I use 30-35 calories per mile on my road bike, depending on the terrain - if it's VERY hilly I use 40! Running used to use around 100 cals per mile.
    Exercise classes never used more than 2-300. Surely its down to the individual, their effort and fitness levels?