Nutrition and non-athlete endurance activities

2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    I think you'll probably be fine - I've been watching this thread since it started and really my primary thought has been that you need to change your thinking from "I'm not an athlete but I do these long swims, how do I fuel for these swims?" to, "I am a non-competitive athlete doing an endurance sport - how do I fuel?"

Thank you. I'd been biting my tongue about this same point.

"I'm not an athlete, I just do this complicated or challenging physical activity regularly, work hard, and try to improve my skill at it." NopeNopeNope. You're an athlete.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    I think you'll probably be fine - I've been watching this thread since it started and really my primary thought has been that you need to change your thinking from "I'm not an athlete but I do these long swims, how do I fuel for these swims?" to, "I am a non-competitive athlete doing an endurance sport - how do I fuel?"

Thank you. I'd been biting my tongue about this same point.

"I'm not an athlete, I just do this complicated or challenging physical activity regularly, work hard, and try to improve my skill at it." NopeNopeNope. You're an athlete.

That "I'm not an athlete" is a left over childhood imprint. Grew up in a family of athletes. I was the only one that sucked at every sport one needed to excel at too be accepted.
    And then there is the occasional open water competition snob on here that made a backhanded comment when I posted the first time I did 10km pool swim.
    People that have athletes all their lives can sometimes forget that not everyoneis like them.
    At 57, I guess I'm finally giving myself permission to be an "athlete. " :D
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    16.06km, 10 miles today. 5 hours 52 minutes. Average pace 2:12/100m
    Chinese dumplings for breakfast. Honey during the swim. I felt like I could have gone farther but didn't want to push it.
    Thanks again for the all the suggestions.
    I'll try some more if them when I get home from this trip.