September 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• Sparx_81
    Sparx_81 Posts: 406 Member
    Socks.... Anyone got recommendations for ones that keep their elastic and don't end up in your shoe? I like thin seamless socks! :D
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    @Sparx_81 I like feetures and balega.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Sparx_81 wrote: »
    Socks.... Anyone got recommendations for ones that keep their elastic and don't end up in your shoe? I like thin seamless socks! :D

Steigen are thin and seamless. They are my favorite so far.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2018

For Summer I use Under Armor's Heatgear or Nike Dryfit.
    For cold weather, I use Darn Tough wool socks.

I find high-quality socks make a huge difference as you start putting on the miles. Running a mile can be done in any old cotton sock (probably- I would still argue for good socks though), but as you extend your time on your feet socks become as important, possibly more, than your shoes.

I got some UnderArmor socks on @PastorVincent's recommendation and haven't had any issue with the elastic, although because of the low cut I did get some rubbing on one long run. I rotate between these, two pairs of thicker WrightSocks, and three pairs of ASIC quarter socks (which are also pretty thin and might be up your alley) so nothing's gotten too much wear yet. I think I prefer the quarter length to be really confident there won't be slippage, but YMMV.

ETA: I checked and I guess both the UA and ASICs have toe seams, though? But really flat ones - I've never noticed them before.
  • rusgolden
    rusgolden Posts: 1,337 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    ~2km walk tonight. Mild twinges in my ankle, and my arches hurt. I will tell my physio tomorrow morning and see if I'm allowed to try running. I also bought some k-tape on Amazon because it was purple.

I registered for the BMO Vancouver Half Marathon next spring.

Got some new cold weather gear on clearance from UA.

Sure spending a lot of money on running this month for someone who can't run right now.

I remember doing the same thing when I was out for about 4+ weeks with a grade 2 calf strain... it was good medicine and it was good mentally to be preparing for running again while I was side lined. :smile:
  • rusgolden
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    @Sparx_81 I like feetures and balega.

I'm with April... I've used both and like them about the same. I do feel like the Feetures conform to the foot better for a tighter fit, but I've not had either of them slide down. I've mainly stuck to the no-cushion or light-cushion. They mainly run about $12-15 a pair but you can usually find a good deal (buy 3 get 1 free) or on sale. I've usually purchased mine from the local running store or online from Running Warehouse.

Like @PastorVincent mentioned, socks are just as important as shoes... you want to take care of your feet and don't want to be fighting blisters half the time.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member

For Summer I use Under Armor's Heatgear or Nike Dryfit.
    For cold weather, I use Darn Tough wool socks.

I find high-quality socks make a huge difference as you start putting on the miles. Running a mile can be done in any old cotton sock (probably- I would still argue for good socks though), but as you extend your time on your feet socks become as important, possibly more, than your shoes.

I got some UnderArmor socks on @PastorVincent's recommendation and haven't had any issue with the elastic, although because of the low cut I did get some rubbing on one long run. I rotate between these, two pairs of thicker WrightSocks, and three pairs of ASIC quarter socks (which are also pretty thin and might be up your alley) so nothing's gotten too much wear yet. I think I prefer the quarter length to be really confident there won't be slippage, but YMMV.

ETA: I checked and I guess both the UA and ASICs have toe seams, though? But really flat ones - I've never noticed them before.

I just checked my feet. Yep, the Nike Dryfit has a seem that is on top of the toe, but I have never noticed it before either.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Happy runniversary @kgirlhart ! That is an amazing loss and very impressive that you kept it off and then some.
  • rusgolden
    @amymoreorless -- hope the landlord gets your plumbing working soon! I can't imagine how "invigorating" that cold gallon jug shower must have felt!

@kgirlhart -- congrats on your 2 and 3 yr anniversaries! Great accomplishment! Sounds like we took the same path to running... I started after losing the initial 50 lbs and running helped me meet my goal of losing 70 total, and as the story goes, I was hooked on running and just kept on. :smile:
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    @sarahthes That's cool they made a purple tape for you :) I've never tried it. I wonder how it works for plantar fasciitis. How long does your pt expect you'll be off for? Hugs. Sorry about your pain.

Yay, you registered for BMO Vancouver! We'll have to figure out how to coordinate our training a little as we get closer so we can try to run it together—assuming that I can catch up and keep up! Do you have a plan in mind? When will you start official half training?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,967 Member
    Thanks @rusgolden and @RunRachelleRun. Is today your surgery Rachelle? I hope it goes well and you have a speedy recovery!