1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    <3
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Mary: Thanks for your kind words. :smiley:

Barbie: It sounds like you have an excellent plan for your bone health. Yay!!! :bigsmile:

Heather: Meditation for Fidgety Sceptics looks like a great book to pass along to the right person as a birthday or Christmas present. :wink:

Lisa: I can imagine cutting down my coffee intake, but eliminating it is not a likely choice for me. I like it, for one thing, and I don’t like caffeine withdrawal headaches for another. I can cut down on the number of cups I drink with no real worries, and do so when necessary. :star:

Machlka: Your hair is lovely and waist length will be a good choice. :smiley: I had mine cut today, and it is a short shag. I like it this way and it is very easy to care for. :wink:

Rita: That is a lovely photo of Bottomless Lake. Thanks for sharing. :star:

We have our annual Homeowners Association meeting this coming weekend. I’m the secretary and will take notes. I’m not trained in shorthand or other speed writing, so I’ll do the best I can. It appears that our numbers will be low. Some of our residents are on vacation and others are snowbirds. One couple of snowbirds have already headed south.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know anything about property assessment fees? They put in a new sewer pipe for our street. Our property is being charged 1/6 of the total amount. Which really seems out of line if it is divided up for all properties on both sides of the street and adjoining properties at the intersection if it costs so much per foot. It should be more like 1/16. They also put two access sewer lines in when we only need one. It says that if we object to this we can't take it to district court unless we have a written or oral objection signed by us and filed with the municipal clerk prior to the hearing which is next Monday. The hearing for approval of the assessment is voted on by the city Council of our town how can that be fair? They make an improvement for maintenance to our sewer system, they do it without informing us that they are going to do it, then after completion of the project they charge us for the improvement and they're the ones who vote on approving the charge to us. So what rights do we have? They're even charging us 3% interest on the whole amount then 3% every year on unpaid amount for 15 years and our share is over $20,000!

Any advice would be appreciated!

<3

Mary from Minnesota \ Arizona
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Mary, I wish I had information... I don't, but have great sympathy.

Meg... Traveling grace, and great sympathy.

Lisa
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,328 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Does anybody know anything about property assessment fees? They put in a new sewer pipe for our street. Our property is being charged 1/6 of the total amount. Which really seems out of line if it is divided up for all properties on both sides of the street and adjoining properties at the intersection if it costs so much per foot. It should be more like 1/16. They also put two access sewer lines in when we only need one. It says that if we object to this we can't take it to district court unless we have a written or oral objection signed by us and filed with the municipal clerk prior to the hearing which is next Monday. The hearing for approval of the assessment is voted on by the city Council of our town how can that be fair? They make an improvement for maintenance to our sewer system, they do it without informing us that they are going to do it, then after completion of the project they charge us for the improvement and they're the ones who vote on approving the charge to us. So what rights do we have? They're even charging us 3% interest on the whole amount then 3% every year on unpaid amount for 15 years and our share is over $20,000!

Any advice would be appreciated!

<3

Mary - get a copy of the city code, it should be delineated in there, including the interest unless superseded by an updated ordinance. You can often find the code by going onto the city's webpage, they should have a link to code and ordinances - you'll probably find it under their public works or public services section.

Some of these city codes are quite old.

The fact that it serves 16 properties and not 6 should be brought to their attention. And why now... was the old system leaking or causing problems so complete replacement was the only recourse? And if so, did anyone apply for grants from State ecology or similar to help pay for it? Poor towns often qualify for them.

Good luck. Kind of a shocker, that's for sure. HUGS!

Lanette

PS - you might want to call neighboring cities of similar size and ask them how they handle infrastructure replacement. Out here in WA state, at least in our county, the cities should have a replacement fund for this - the city owns it to the customer's hookup, unless it's a brand new development then the developer kicks in a lot of $$. So if sections of the pipes have to be replaced, that cost is borne by ALL customers in the system and part of the monthly sewer rate is dedicated to this fund. Your state might have very different laws and ways of handling things.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    Lanette- thanks for the information! I will definitely look into that and ask those questions. We also believe they have the length of our property wrong. I'm going to have a lot of investigating to do on Monday! Maybe I can go Thursday but it is a six hour round-trip drive…

<3

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,527 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 7.45min, 12.2mph, 127mhr, 1.5mi= 71c
    apple watch- 58c
    TREADMILL slow jog- 51.16min, 10.15min mi, 5.6-6.4p, 136ahr, 148mhr, 5mi= 488c
    apple watch- 562c
    ride gym 2 dome- 5min, 17.5amph, 131mhr, 1.4mi= 68c
    apple watch- 45c
    ride puy 2 sumn station- 14min, 12.8amph, 129ahr, 147mhr= 147c
    apple watch- 118c
    jog sta 2 wk- 4.38min, 8.58min mi, 144ahr, 152mhr, .5mi= 63c
    apple watch- 54c
    jog wk 2 sumn sta- .4min, 9.11min mi, 144mhr, 4mi= 44c
    apple watch- 59c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 17.59min, 8.7amph, 146mhr, 2.6mi= 175c
    apple watch- 142c

total cal 1056
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,815 Member
    Options
    <3
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    Options
    Mary when they did some work on a street over from us one of our neighbor was a vet and their assessment was much less. We were told their will be an assessment for the oiling and gravel they just did on our street. We have have yet to get the assessment. I hope it goes well for you on Monday.

:heart: Margaret
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,336 Member
    Options
    Did the Biggest Lower Last Chance Workout. The plan for tomorrow since we have the Newcomer board meeting is to do the Fit In 10 Body Transformation DVD

Well, I called the doctor’s office because I had my bone density scan the other day. The result is that he said there isn’t any change from last year. Guess this means that I am osteoporatic. Which is a change from my osteoporosis.

Lisa – I’m glad for you that the griddle is just an extra. There will be times when you’ll want the other burners. I remember in our second house I had the 4 burners and a griddle. Honestly, and this is just me, I never used the griddle.

Lisa – doing a happy dance for you!

Supposed to go to AC Moore tonight for their needle night. I have a pattern that I want someone to look at. I’m also wondering if the scarf I made for Colby is long enough so I may need help ending it. Update: I went, got a few things, used my 55% off coupon. Really, you're only supposed to use it once a day, but I used it once when I got there and then once right before I left. Finished the scarf I made for Colby and got one of the skeins of yarn for the hooded scarf for Jess.

Katla – I honestly can’t remember the last time we had a homeowner’s association meeting. We are so loose….lol

Meg – safe travels! That is so nice of you to go to the funeral

Mary – good luck to you!

Michele in NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Having lunch out today in our local village / town. I haven't taken my friend there yet, so I hope she likes the menu. I like the salads there, but she usually wants a main meal as she doesn't want to have to cook in the evening.
    My cleaner will be letting herself in. I've tidied up (!) so could bring my friend back for coffee.
    Weather glorious again. :D

I'm resigning myself to not moving. I just want to know one way or another. We need to make plans for the future, but at the moment I can't even stock the freezer. :(

Lots of love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    On the one hand ...

I'm so tired I nearly fell asleep standing up & having my jaw X-rayed. I was told to relax for 20 secs ... and I was almost out!

And then I did fall asleep on the bus home again.

On the other hand ...

Next weekend (Oct 7) ... Daylight Savings Time starts!! 💖😁 WooHoo!!! 😍💖

Wish we could keep DST year round!!

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,687 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    cool one day and muggy the next.. oh well life in new england. I am having my tea and got dressed.. another night of really not sleeping well...i was doing so good for so long.. might go back to the melatonin...
    Found out yesterday from our boss that the office manager will be moving to japan with her wife.. a big wig at UTC as an engineer ... so now they are interviewing for the position.. Dr Ho is pretty good at finding someone that will fit in with us.. so we shall see...always something...
    tomorrow I go to the Dr.. will see what she has to say...
    took alfie out for a walk and will go walk Homer and Chester ,then go feed DFIL