September Self-Care Challenge

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @donimfp Good luck in meatspace!!
    skram01 wrote: »
    This week had been really rough. I have been having a hard time this month and there has been a lot of negative self talk. I have been trying to do little things to slowly crawl my way out. I made a doctor's appointment that I've needed so that's a positive thing o have a big stack of new recipes to try. The weather finally changed over and it coincided with the first day of fall (dang mother nature, you're awesome).

I am dog sitting right now for someone who had a lot of land so this afternoon I'm going to find two good trees and practice putting up my camping hammock. I need to perfect my angles. Tomorrow my husband and I are going apple picking. I'm hoping to make at least two apple pies in the near future. I'm also looking forward to a baby shower coming that I get to go to in Ohio. I get to see a good friend again as well as travel a little.

@skram01 Hugs! Well done for noticing your negative self-talk. That's a huge step in not taking it seriously. <3

Wow, what lovely plans you have! Now, go out there and do them! Make a list and tick them off, and really savour them. So nice autumn has arrived for you!
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    @kzzr that recipe looks great! thanks for sharing!
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    I took a nap yesterday and before and after it just was able to think about the week. About to start my weekly Sunday paper time.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    I'm starting a new job Tuesday. I'm beyond excited. One thing is that it will be the first time I've "gone to work" since 1999! I've been a telecommuter all those years. Since I'm older and wiser than I was in 1999, I've been researching delicious lunch options and reading about prepping on the weekends. I'm going out of town tomorrow and Monday, so today I'm going to prep all my veggies and make the quinoa and dressing for an Asian quinoa salad to take for lunches next week. Meal prep is my happy place!

Congrats on the new job and cudos for getting organized with food prep!
  • twyla77
    went for lunch with my mom, did laundry & my meal prep for the week, and now i’m able to relax and finish the book i’ve been reading!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Went for a 8,000 Step walk before 8 am. Meditated for 30 min. Caught up with laundry which gives me satisfaction.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    I am baking bread today. I don't think I'm too bad as a baker but I definitely need a recipe. I'm better at coming because it's more free form. Baking requires science, had yes. I'm determined to become a better basket and I'm going to do it by the end of the year via baking for the holidays and because it's what you do in cool weather! I'm starting with this past bread recipe a friend had made. It sounds good and send like a great dessert bread.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    dkabambe wrote: »
    Hi all - this group seems like a wonderful resource, and self-care is definitely something I should do more of especially with a few stresses in my life at the moment.

Bought myself two new cookbooks recently, so going to make some time today to flick through those, (though I rarely if ever follow recipes I love reading cookbooks for inspiration!).
    ryobi1l775rc.jpg
    As you might gather I like a bit of spice in my life :smiley:

Spices Yay!!!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,036 Member
    edited September 2018
    @skram01 I love baking my own bread. I used to be really rubbish at it. Never could get the proving right. Then I bought a new cooker, and discovered that it had programmes for both proving and baking dough, and I've never looked back. I get perfect results every time, and am experimenting with different combinations of ingredients.
    • Yesterday, I made a batch of tasty leek and potato soup for some of my lunches this week.
    • Today, I went to my craft group, and enjoyed chatting with my friends while being productive with a needle and thread.
    • It's too wet to walk outside today, so I will be doing a Leslie Sansone Walking video to get my daily steps up.
    • Also planning to switch my summer/winter wardrobe and bag up some items for donation.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    @TerriRichardson112 I love potato leek soup!! I am so happy it's soup season. I get so much joy from cooking during the fall and winter. @dkabambe those look super interesting! I may have to see if my library has them.

The bread turned out really good. Flavor is amazing. The texture is good but next time I might knead it a little more so it gets a little fluffier texture. It's the type of bread that does well with an ever so slight chewiness to it but I think a little lighter would make it a good French toast bread. I made this at a friend's house so I'll be interested to see how it does at my house. Can't wait to try!
  • RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    My fiance turned me on to an app that tracks your habits and helps you to create new, healthy ones. It's called "Loop Habit Tracker" and you use it to create reminders for yourself to do the things you need or want to do. Since I have a lot of trouble sticking with routine chores such as showering, brushing my teeth, etc., I made my list to be stuff like that and other self-care reminders. So far I have on the list:
    • Walk
    • Shower
    • Brush teeth
    • Daily Spanish lesson
    • Don't eat in the middle of the night

I'm sure I'll come up with more as time goes on. I just started using this app a couple days ago so I'm interested to see if it will help me take better care of myself.
  • TerriRichardson112
    My fiance turned me on to an app that tracks your habits and helps you to create new, healthy ones. It's called "Loop Habit Tracker" and you use it to create reminders for yourself to do the things you need or want to do. Since I have a lot of trouble sticking with routine chores such as showering, brushing my teeth, etc., I made my list to be stuff like that and other self-care reminders. So far I have on the list:
    • Walk
    • Shower
    • Brush teeth
    • Daily Spanish lesson
    • Don't eat in the middle of the night

I'm sure I'll come up with more as time goes on. I just started using this app a couple days ago so I'm interested to see if it will help me take better care of myself.

Reminders are so useful. Because I have a lot of activities in my schedule, I use the alarm on my iPhone to give me reminders, and have my Fitbit set to remind me to walk every 2 hours.
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    My fiance turned me on to an app that tracks your habits and helps you to create new, healthy ones. It's called "Loop Habit Tracker" ....

I use that app to track days I exercise and don't drink alcohol/smoke/consume caffeine. Really useful - a bit of black magic how they come up with the % score, but I'm forever trying to beat myself so quite useful in that way as motivates me over time.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @dkabambe The baking book looks fascinating! I know almost nothing about "Chetna bakes from the East", though when I was in India for 6 months I got hooked on their sweets.

and also @RespectTheKitty "Loop Habit Tracker" sounds awesome!

I have lots of recurring daily/weekly tasks, but I've been achieving great productivity using "ToDoist".

I really must compare the two, and also look forward to any more information you both can supply.

Also planning to switch my summer/winter wardrobe and bag up some items for donation.

I've been in maintenance since April 2016. I de-cluttered everything and a capsule wardrobe remains, but I've bought a few new pieces recently because I felt things needed switching up too. Your post reminds me to donate a few things too as I've got things I don't love anymore.

• TerriRichardson112
    @Orphia It's difficult to break the habit of a lifetime. I was so glad of all the clothes I had in my back closet when I lost the weight, because it meant I didn't need to buy the interim sizes.

Now that I'm almost at maintenance, it's time to let them go. And I am resolved to get rid of all my bigger sizes, since I don't intend to ever need them again.
  • twyla77
    Got to the gym this morning BEFORE the rain started which was awesome, and the rain on my walk home was a nice cool down!

Started the October Self-Care Challenge thread, link below! I can't believe we're only days away from October already! Fall is my favourite time of year, so I'm happy about this!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10698100/october-self-care-challenge/p1?new=1
  • twyla77
    a good reminder for myself, and maybe for you as well!
    bfs0sddcdwj5.jpg
  • dkabambe
    dkabambe Posts: 544 Member
    Orphia wrote: »
    @dkabambe The baking book looks fascinating! I know almost nothing about "Chetna bakes from the East"...
    @Orphia - Chetna is the name of the author. She did really well on a famous baking show over here (Great British Bake Off) by putting lots of Indian/Eastern flavours into traditional western puds/cakes. Can't wait to try some of them out - probably stick to the savoury bakes for now as trying to be healthy at the moment!

Been very busy today so no time for proper self-care (but did run today which is always a positive thing for me). Does watching a bit of Netflix in bed count?