First day of keto. Feel sick

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    rsclause wrote: »
    People, keto WOE is not only about weight loss. So answering every keto question with "there is no magic to keto only CICO matters" means you are missing several other points to keto. For that matter I find that I am doing better on keto than when I was counting calories. That doesn't CICO doesn't apply but I also am feeling better and not hungry all the time.

Ketogenic can be used in a variety of manners. Some use it for weight loss (or try to), some think of it as a lifestyle, others use it for things like contest preps and others use it to improve medical conditions. Even within that, there is huge variation in the individual response. Some are naturally satiated and some are constantly starving. But it's good you enjoy it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    psuLemon wrote: »
    SusannO wrote: »
    @kimny72 my point was to say that eating keto isn't a new idea. Because of politics after WWII, keto was sidelined and low fat and CICO were pushed. Protein converts to a type of glucose just like carbs. Hence keto is not Atkins. It's fats vs sugars. Greene just knew that carbs were detrimental. I'm not saying everyone should do keto. What I am saying is the chronic woo-ers like anvilhead just choose to believe that their way is the ONLY way. They choose to ignore that CICO is only a hypothesis in science, not a theory or proven. But he can do what he wants, idc, but to disparage others ignorantly only confuses those that are trying to understand VLC eating. I've been doing it for 5 months and my triglycerides have dropped a little over 30%, plus quite a long laundry list of other improvements, including my autoimmune disorder. All I know is that every doc I've spoken to about it has said doing low carb is what they recommend. I don't have all the answers, but I do share what I do know for others that are also learning and working with their docs, etc.

A few things. The longest living and healthiest countries in the world are all very high carb, very low fat. There is a reason they are called the blue zones.

Second, glucenogenesis is the conversation of proteins and fatty acids into glucose. If you want to know more about Glucenogenesis, I would recommend http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html

Third, CICO is not a hypothesis. If you believe so, I would love to see anything to dispute the thousands of metabolic ward studies.

Lastly, keto is definitely a viable and beneficial options for some. For those who feel overly restricted or sick, it might be worth increase carbs (particularly fruits or starches) to help mitigate some of those issues.

No they're not.

Apparently, you are unfamiliar with the Blue Zones? And do you have anything more to offer than a 3 word response to validate your statement?

Hi, I never heard of Blue Zones before. I eat a lot of vegetables and salad but I also like my meat so I don't think I would like that way of eating. I do find blue zones interesting so this will give me something else to research into.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    mmapags wrote: »
    @kimny72 my point was to say that eating keto isn't a new idea. Because of politics after WWII, keto was sidelined and low fat and CICO were pushed. Protein converts to a type of glucose just like carbs. Hence keto is not Atkins. It's fats vs sugars. Greene just knew that carbs were detrimental. I'm not saying everyone should do keto. What I am saying is the chronic woo-ers like anvilhead just choose to believe that their way is the ONLY way. They choose to ignore that CICO is only a hypothesis in science, not a theory or proven. But he can do what he wants, idc, but to disparage others ignorantly only confuses those that are trying to understand VLC eating. I've been doing it for 5 months and my triglycerides have dropped a little over 30%, plus quite a long laundry list of other improvements, including my autoimmune disorder. All I know is that every doc I've spoken to about it has said doing low carb is what they recommend. I don't have all the answers, but I do share what I do know for others that are also learning and working with their docs, etc.

A few things. The longest living and healthiest countries in the world are all very high carb, very low fat. There is a reason they are called the blue zones.

Second, glucenogenesis is the conversation of proteins and fatty acids into glucose. If you want to know more about Glucenogenesis, I would recommend http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/07/gluconeogenesis.html

Third, CICO is not a hypothesis. If you believe so, I would love to see anything to dispute the thousands of metabolic ward studies.

Lastly, keto is definitely a viable and beneficial options for some. For those who feel overly restricted or sick, it might be worth increase carbs (particularly fruits or starches) to help mitigate some of those issues.

No they're not.

Apparently, you are unfamiliar with the Blue Zones? And do you have anything more to offer than a 3 word response to validate your statement?

Hi, I never heard of Blue Zones before. I eat a lot of vegetables and salad but I also like my meat so I don't think I would like that way of eating. I do find blue zones interesting so this will give me something else to research into.

Meat is included in the standard diet in "Blue Zones" (with the exception of Loma Linda, California where many residents are vegetarians). It's just that the diets in these areas are typically also include foods like grains and beans and the meat isn't the center of the diet. Also, plant oils are usually used more often than animal fat.

Here is a starting point if you're interested in learning more: https://www.bluezones.com/recipes/food-guidelines/
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member

No they're not.

Where are the populations of 100 yr olds that follow keto ?
  • rsclause
    NovusDies wrote: »

First I am happy you found a WoE that help you. While your results will be reproduceable in a certain number of people it will definitely not be all.

If limiting carbs is all that really matters for weight loss then how do you stop losing weight before you lose too much? Eat carbs again? Is there any pattern to the weight loss or is it just random amounts each week? Many of the people that I know that always maintain a lean weight intuitively also eat carbs with no reservation. Why aren't they gaining weight?

I am curious about this too. It is implied by some that the body will self regulate at an ideal weight. If keto is truly about only CICO I would predict that one would keep losing weight. If there is some "magic" to keto weight loss would stabilize at an ideal weight with the same diet. So I guess I will experiment on myself and see what happens next.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

First I am happy you found a WoE that help you. While your results will be reproduceable in a certain number of people it will definitely not be all.

If limiting carbs is all that really matters for weight loss then how do you stop losing weight before you lose too much? Eat carbs again? Is there any pattern to the weight loss or is it just random amounts each week? Many of the people that I know that always maintain a lean weight intuitively also eat carbs with no reservation. Why aren't they gaining weight?

I am curious about this too. It is implied by some that the body will self regulate at an ideal weight. If keto is truly about only CICO I would predict that one would keep losing weight. If there is some "magic" to keto weight loss would stabilize at an ideal weight with the same diet. So I guess I will experiment on myself and see what happens next[/b}.

You can conduct an N=1 or you can read the meta-analysis posted above and see what the research says. It indicates that irrespective of dietary composition, energy balance (CICO) is what determines weight loss, gain or maintenance.

Keto is preferable for some, low carb for others, high carb for others, high protein for others. But none of it trumps energy balance. There is some research that suggests the appetite suppression effects of keto. For people that have issues with hunger control, that could be a factor. But not all have this issue.

https://sci-fit.net/ketogenic-diet-hunger-suppression/
  • rsclause
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »

No they're not.

I haven't researched Blue Zones yet but this 100 years thing made me reflect on a friend that is 102 and lived alone until this year. Very sharp and when asked when she moved into her home she said 62 years ago it was labor day and it rained. I also when singing happy birthday at her 100th thought "this could really screw up a retirement plan" For what it is worth she never exercised and ate a crappy processed, carb loaded and fatty diet. Go figure.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited September 2018

I am curious about this too. It is implied by some that the body will self regulate at an ideal weight. If keto is truly about only CICO I would predict that one would keep losing weight. If there is some "magic" to keto weight loss would stabilize at an ideal weight with the same diet. So I guess I will experiment on myself and see what happens next.

There's no "magic" involved. If one is eating, say, 1500 calories per day, their body weight will stabilize when they reach a point where 1500 calories = their TDEE (BMR goes down as you lose weight, thus lowering TDEE unless activity is increased to compensate). If they continued eating 1500 calories and didn't alter their NEAT or EAT, they would not gain or lose any weight (aside from normal scale fluctuations) regardless of the macro composition of their diet or what time of the day they ate.

According to the Fung/Taubes fantasy, if one stayed on a keto diet they would indefinitely continue to lose weight regardless of calorie intake, body weight, activity levels, etc. because insulin. And gaining weight while on a ketogenic diet would not be possible. Neither of which is true.
  • rsclause
    AnvilHead wrote: »

There's no "magic" involved. If one is eating, say, 1500 calories per day, their body weight will stabilize when they reach a point where 1500 calories = their TDEE (BMR goes down as you lose weight, thus lowering TDEE unless activity is increased to compensate). If they continued eating 1500 calories and didn't alter their NEAT or EAT, they would not gain or lose any weight (aside from normal scale fluctuations) regardless of the macro composition of their diet or what time of the day they ate.

According to the Fung/Taubes fantasy, if one stayed on a keto diet they would indefinitely continue to lose weight regardless of calorie intake, body weight, activity levels, etc. because insulin. And gaining weight while on a ketogenic diet would not be possible. Neither of which is true.

I don't know who said it about keto leading to self regulating body weight. I am not saying it is true or has any fact or study to it. But don't you agree if I keep my diet on keto the same I should keep losing? If I don't what would that mean? This is an easy experiment I will do because I can and trust me if I need to stop losing weight more beer will be my first step. So I am biased in that regard. I must admit I threw the word "magic" in just to drive you crazy.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

I don't know who said it about keto leading to self regulating body weight. I am not saying it is true or has any fact or study to it. But don't you agree if I keep my diet on keto the same I should keep losing? If I don't what would that mean? This is an easy experiment I will do because I can and trust me if I need to stop losing weight more beer will be my first step. So I am biased in that regard. I must admit I threw the word "magic" in just to drive you crazy.

No you wouldn't keep losing. As anvilhead said, at some point your calorie deficit would no longer be a deficit. It would be maintenance.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

If you kept your diet the same (in terms of calories), you would eventually stop losing if you were no longer in a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,386 MFP Moderator
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »

No they're not.

I haven't researched Blue Zones yet but this 100 years thing made me reflect on a friend that is 102 and lived alone until this year. Very sharp and when asked when she moved into her home she said 62 years ago it was labor day and it rained. I also when singing happy birthday at her 100th thought "this could really screw up a retirement plan" For what it is worth she never exercised and ate a crappy processed, carb loaded and fatty diet. Go figure.

Genetics plays a huge role in longevity. My family frequently lives into their 100's and upper 90s. Short lift in my family is in their mid 80s.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    edited September 2018

As you lose weight your energy requirement declines so if Keto is only about CICO it is more likely the weight loss would stop. If it has nothing to do with energy it is more likely the weight loss would continue unchecked.

ETA: When you think about this try and remember your science classes and that energy cannot be created or destroyed. There is some fuel that powers you and enables to your muscles to move and electrical impulses to travel throughout your body. If it doesn't come from food where does it come from?

• rsclause

As you lose weight your energy requirement declines so if Keto is only about CICO it is more likely the weight loss would stop. If it has nothing to do with energy it is more likely the weight loss would continue unchecked.

ETA: When you think about this try and remember your science classes and that energy cannot be created or destroyed. There is some fuel that powers you and enables to your muscles to move and electrical impulses to travel throughout your body. If it doesn't come from food where does it come from?

I guess its all in how you say it. You say whatever my non calorie counting deficit is as long as it is a deficit I will eventually arrive at a break even point and stop losing because I will be maintaining. I say that if the magic of keto is true (I added this for AnvilHead) I arrive at my Ideal weight and something changes like appetite or insulin whatever. If keto and calorie deficit meet at the same weight it would be very coincidental. I do plan on seeing what plays out for fun. All I can do is keep my eating consistent and graphing my weight to find the stall point. I have plenty of time to play around with this.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member

I guess its all in how you say it. You say whatever my non calorie counting deficit is as long as it is a deficit I will eventually arrive at a break even point and stop losing because I will be maintaining. I say that if the magic of keto is true (I added this for AnvilHead) I arrive at my Ideal weight and something changes like appetite or insulin whatever. If keto and calorie deficit meet at the same weight it would be very coincidental. I do plan on seeing what plays out for fun. All I can do is keep my eating consistent and graphing my weight to find the stall point. I have plenty of time to play around with this.

Are you tracking your calorie intake?
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member

Consider this. I track my deficit and my weight loss matches within a reasonable margin of error. It is impossible to track by the week but by the month if, for example, I have a 28,000 calorie deficit (7k per week) at 3500 calories per pound I will show approximately an 8lb loss.

My weight loss has matched my deficit now for 7 months and has not been hampered by carbs even when I was drinking alcohol. In the last 4 months I have eaten more controlled carbs that average 120 during the week and 200 on the weekend. My weight loss has not accelerated at all now that I am technically low carb although high by Keto standards.
  • rsclause
    WinoGelato wrote: »

Are you tracking your calorie intake?

No I haven't track in a long time. I decided to try keto without logging to see what happens. I lost 16 pounds and feel very full without snacking. I think it would be a lot of trouble to log calories on a LCHF diet. With all the fats and oils I don't think I could get very accurate. I cook bacon and pour most of the grease out and add some butter. I just don't feel the need to log unless I start having some weight gain issues.