I need a hug (and a stepladder)

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    I'm 5ft 2.2 ( up from 5ft 1.8 go me)
    I found it helps to date short guys (5ft 3-4) then I feel perfectly normal

My ex was 6ft 4 and thought it was funny to put me over his shoulder 🙄

My husband topped out just short of 6ft but apparently he's shrinking too, so it's all good! :tongue:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    edited October 2018
    :lol:

I especially like that she edited for clarity on that green thingy post. :no_mouth:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Joined a gym and got measured yesterday as part of their fitness analysis. My whole adult life, I've thought I was 5'4. They measured me at 5'2. I'm crushed! :lol:

My measurement at home puts me at 5'2 & 11/16 (because 16ths matter now!) I'm rounding up to 5'3 when I update my stats :tongue: Nothing has actually changed except my own perception, I know.

My husband's been telling me for years I'm short, while I vehemently declared 5'4 is average height for a woman. Which it is. I'm just not.

I have been measured 5'4" and been the shortest person in my family since I was a teen. I have a step ladder I use daily in my kitchen. I would be so upset if someone measured me 2" shorter!
    Rationally it would not change who I was to find out I was shorter but it would feel like a difference. It would feel like all those times growing up when people held things out of my reach and laughed.

Worried now that my measurements are wrong. Pretty sure I am at least 5'3" though as my dd has been measured at the doctor recently as 5'3 3/4" and I am not shorter than her.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    hihi. I thought that torture apparatus was common...

Here a video (German, sorry) showing how it's used (and gives a good idea of size)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqrHOyDdI8Y

It also happens to be one of my most love-hated exercises ever. I do it religiously on a daily basis. My hate for it is paltry in comparison with the benefits I got out of it.
  • ladyreva78

I especially like that she edited for clarity on that green thingy post. :no_mouth:

Sorry @cmriverside I really thought those little balance pillow thingies were common knowledge. I live in Switzerland and don't always know what you guys over yonder the big pond might find normal or just plain strange :tongue:

See my previous post for a short video showing how it's used. :-)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,942 Member
    ladyreva78 wrote: »

Sorry @cmriverside I really thought those little balance pillow thingies were common knowledge. I live in Switzerland and don't always know what you guys over yonder the big pond might find normal or just plain strange :tongue:

Ah! Thanks, cool. :)

Well I haven't stepped foot in a gym in ten years, so maybe it is common...I just walk on trails outdoors and get the same workout.
  • pinuplove
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Joined a gym and got measured yesterday as part of their fitness analysis. My whole adult life, I've thought I was 5'4. They measured me at 5'2. I'm crushed! :lol:

My measurement at home puts me at 5'2 & 11/16 (because 16ths matter now!) I'm rounding up to 5'3 when I update my stats :tongue: Nothing has actually changed except my own perception, I know.

My husband's been telling me for years I'm short, while I vehemently declared 5'4 is average height for a woman. Which it is. I'm just not.

I have been measured 5'4" and been the shortest person in my family since I was a teen. I have a step ladder I use daily in my kitchen. I would be so upset if someone measured me 2" shorter!
    Rationally it would not change who I was to find out I was shorter but it would feel like a difference. It would feel like all those times growing up when people held things out of my reach and laughed.

Worried now that my measurements are wrong. Pretty sure I am at least 5'3" though as my dd has been measured at the doctor recently as 5'3 3/4" and I am not shorter than her.

Yay, someone else gets it (on page 8 no less)! I keep reading posts from women saying 'I'm 5'4 and weigh xxx...' and I think, me too! Oh wait, no I'm not :lol:

I've really never really been subjected to more than good-natured teasing though :smile:
  • ladyreva78

Well I haven't stepped foot in a gym in ten years, so maybe it is common...I just walk on trails outdoors and get the same workout.

Hehe. I would most certainly have killed myself had I tried to walk on a path. I was the butt of the joke pretty much all the time with how much I was falling and stumbling and hurting myself.

I've now graduated to walking trails and that little torture design definitely helped me.

@Pinuplove sorry for the thread-jacking :tongue:
  • pinuplove
    @ladyreva78 8 pages in, no worries! :lol: I find the balance exercise thing interesting, too. Good to know there's actually something that might help me not trip over shadows.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member

Here a video (German, sorry) showing how it's used (and gives a good idea of size)

It also happens to be one of my most love-hated exercises ever. I do it religiously on a daily basis. My hate for it is paltry in comparison with the benefits I got out of it.

Oh my. I struggle to do that on flat ground. I'm sure I've seen those before. I'll take a closer look though.
  • ladyreva78
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Oh my. I struggle to do that on flat ground. I'm sure I've seen those before. I'll take a closer look though.

My first few attempts were pathetic.

Currently: balancing while brushing my teeth is no problem. I would have laughed you out of the room had you told me that after my first attempts.

I also had seriously sore muscles in my lower legs :tongue:
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

My first few attempts were pathetic.

Currently: balancing while brushing my teeth is no problem. I would have laughed you out of the room had you told me that after my first attempts.

I also had seriously sore muscles in my lower legs :tongue:

Thank you :heart:
  • amyepdx
    amyepdx Posts: 750 Member
    amyepdx wrote: »
    I have my physical Tuesday - I’m going to have them measure me. Maybe I’m not 5’5” any more since I turned 60? That would suck!

Good news - I haven’t shrunk, in fact, they measured me at 5’ 5 1/2”! I’m updating my profile now!

Never mind - can’t enter half inches lol
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    I have my physical Tuesday - I’m going to have them measure me. Maybe I’m not 5’5” any more since I turned 60? That would suck!

Good news - I haven’t shrunk, in fact, they measured me at 5’ 5 1/2”! I’m updating my profile now!

Still, congrats on not shrinking/maybe even gaining a little :lol: I'm all for rounding up.

(Actually, I updated my profile with 5'2 even though it hurts to be back in the 'overweight' category because of it :cry: )

Yikes, never thought of that! Lots of hugs!
  • amyepdx

Still, congrats on not shrinking/maybe even gaining a little :lol: I'm all for rounding up.

(Actually, I updated my profile with 5'2 even though it hurts to be back in the 'overweight' category because of it :cry: )

Yeah - I sneaked in with a 29.3 post-cruise BMI at the doctors office - clothes weight and all - so the 1/2” helped there at least!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member

I've seen Bosu Balls in gyms, but not the balance pillows.

xscwfkwb3u3c.png
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    I'm still the same height I was 35 years ago, and assume I have the yoga to thank for that.
  • amyepdx
    She still wants me to do the bone density test to be sure everything’s good - you know 60 and everything