WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR OCTOBER 2018

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    :)
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,905 Member
    :)Barbara, I haven't made the spicy apple pumpkin soup in a long time. Once I stopped making gallons of applesauce, it wasn't so appealing. I remember it fondly. I have really simplified my cooking.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,814 Member
    Hello all: Cold foggy day here. I wore my heavy sweater under my choir robe this morning to keep warm. I am feeling like I need a nap maybe just to get warm. Ham and broccoli casserole for dinner tonight with a fruit salad. Has anyone tried moondrop grapes? I got some at the store last week and they are really good. They are black seedless grapes with a very long oval shape. Very sweet and good.

Pat - so sorry about SIL.

Katla - Glad you had a good adventure. Hope you get warmed up at your riding lesson.

Lanette - You are right about chores helping to keep one in shape. Sometimes I feel I would rather not go out but that is not an option and usually I feel better once I am out there.

Rebecca - You look very happy in that first picture. Enjoy!

Everyone take care, Sue in WA
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,519 Member
    /
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,334 Member
    I must have fallen asleep (shh….don’t tell Vince) so heavily that I didn’t even hear the phone ring when Denise called. See, previously Dave (Pete’s step-father) had diverticulitis and has a temporary colostomy. He was supposed to go to the MD yesterday for a colonoscopy and then they’d see about reversing the colostomy. Well, it seems that he also has gall stones. Denise said that she thinks Thanksgiving will be cancelled. Dave usually goes to his sister’s for Christmas and he’s talking about even not going there. He may be a little depressed.

Carol in GA – I suspect the reason I was so tired was because I had some of the apple pie. I hadn’t made it in so long that I wanted to be sure it was OK. Plus, I wanted to see if it was very juicy. The first one was, but the second one wasn’t. Now I’m not sure if it’s the brand of apples that I used on the second one (I used Lady Alice’s which aren’t as juicy) or the fact that I didn’t put as many crumbs on the top so more steam was able to escape. I was trying to avoid a tin plate, but I think I just may have to. On second thought, I may not have to

We put down grass seed today. Vince wanted to do just the bare spots. I thought we should have done more. But in March I want to do more. Actually, I think it would be best if we were to have a landscaper at least at first put in a decent lawn and then we maintain it. But Vince has this “thing” about paying someone to do what he can do. I remember we have a neighbor and Vince commenting how they spent so much time on their lawn and it still looked like c***. Until they had a professional come in and work on it. The guy who does a lot of lawns in the neighborhood at least has better equipment. I see where the aerated the lawn next door and he has these large spikes on the tractor. Ours aren’t nearly as large.

I’m making this hooded scarf for Jess and I’m having the hardest time with the decreasing. The ladies at ACMoore will probably be able to help me Tuesday night

Speaking of decluttering: there was this box in my exercise room, been there since we moved here. I looked inside one day and saw it was all full of electronic stuff so I mentioned it to Vince that he needed to go thru it. Months went by, he didn’t go thru it, I think he forgot about it. So….I put it in front of the TV. What did he do? He moved it. So I put it in front of the other TV where he usually watches the (NASCAR) races. Been there a few weeks and he just went thru it yesterday. There are things in for the Salvation Army and others that need to be recycled when they have the hazardous waste pickup.

Karen in VA – one thing about short ribs in the slow cooker, they literally fall off the bone. Portioned them out so we can have them for dinner some nights. I don’t have a dehydrator, but that’s an interesting thought. I wonder if putting the apples in the oven overnight on a LOW setting (like 200) would work. Vince also drinks Gatorade and diet soda. He went to the MD a while ago who told him that the Gatorade (he went in summer) should be cold. I think he feels that my water should be cold.

Michele in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,682 Member
    I'm home...what a joy to have such wonderful friends ,had a little bit of dinner with them and a little bit of wine.... I am truly blessed ... tomorrow I feed walk all 3 feed my DFIL and then work 11-5 than back to start all over ,so nice to spend so much time with them XOXO
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    NYKaren: I need to add that I take D3 every day to combat Seasonal Affective Disorder and adjust the number of capsules I take daily. I take more in winter and less in summer because the summer sun gives me a dose of D3. :flowerforyou:

Karen in VA: We lost the dog we had just before our current pup (now aged 11). She was in DSIL‘s garden snapping at bees. DSIL heard her yelp and our dog ran for the back porch. She died there, and it was a matter of a minute or two from the sting. I feel sorry for the dog, DSIL, and ourselves. :sad:

Rye: You are a gifted artist. :star:

My riding lesson turned into a trail ride and I had a wonderful time. Arrow did his best. He has asthma and I had to be mindful of him getting enough air.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    Janetr - There is a medicine that can do all those things, but it doesn't come in a bottle. It's called exercise. :D
    Since I've been vigorously exercising my skin is much better, my joints don't ache as much, my memory and thinking power is better, my mood is better and my weight is less. Miracle medicine! I think the running kept me sane through all this.

However I was also helped by the two books on meditation by Dan Harris and I'm re-reading his second one at the moment. Lots of the things that have helped me I first heard about on this thread. <3

Another day of decluttering. Today I will do the top shelves of the wardrobes. There lurks a fascinator, I know. :p I hope my mother's old china doll, Elizabeth, is up there too. I also must make sure the boxes of photos are in order. I'm not going to sort them before the move, just make sure I know what is what. Also find suitable drawers for loose ends.
    DH has to tell the utilities.

Going to turn colder by the time we move. As long as it's not blowing a gale and raining!!!!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • trucker743
    trucker743 Posts: 393 Member
    Lisa in AR - I’ll bet it feels lovely to be settled in place and be able to relax! It sounds like Egg wants to annoy you enough that you’ll let her out. My two are now indoor only. I have bobcats, cougars, coyotes and bears occasionally around here. I lost one to a coyote, and two of the neighbors lost theirs to bobcats. I’m taking no more chances.

Kelly - I sure know that “sameness”! Being retired let’s you get to a point where if you don’t have an appointment coming up you can forget what day it is easily.

Machka - one of my daughter’s spent a lot of time with ominous Pap tests and a number of procedures due to those abnormalities. I hope you don’t ever have those worries again. They can be so draining!

Michele - I do believe our fur babies let us know when it’s time to let them go. That doesn’t make it much easier, but it helps.

Heather in UK - I love the term “knackered” for being totally worn out. One of my grandmas used to say that.

You also mention a drawer for “loose ends”. My “drawers” have had a loose end in them for years!

NYKaren - “OMG!” is right! What a gorgeous animal. Now it needs an audio track of that roar!

Pip! Hope that ½ marathon goes well!

Janetr OKC - that ornament is a stunner!

Barbie, you’re doing so great with your back, and still getting steps in. I can’t wait to see if my surgery and weight loss will let me do more steps! Bully for you!

Heather, one of my family’s happiest memories is of the girls and I going for high tea at a little shop in Victoria BC. We couldn’t afford the one at the Empress Hotel, but this one made us feel just as grand!

Pat in OH - just gave you a virtual hug. What you’re going through right now tugs at my heart.

Rye, your Mocha kitty is so sweet!

Karen in VA - It is hard to wake at the times we were needed and realize the need isn’t there anymore. Somehow it makes the loss a bit harder instead of easier.

Barbara the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD - Your title now makes such perfect sense that I believe I may begin signing myself -

Sharon, the Seattle area AHMOC - sounds like “amuck” a bit, but that fits too!
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited October 2018
    JanetR - In my recent far too busy-ness, I realized I forgot to mention how much I loved the black ornament, such an elegant piece! I like this last one a lot, too. Really looking forward to finding my sewing machine in the storeroom and putting it out so I can be a maker again instead of a mover! :smiley:

Lisa in AR - I’ll bet it feels lovely to be settled in place and be able to relax! It sounds like Egg wants to annoy you enough that you’ll let her out. My two are now indoor only. I have bobcats, cougars, coyotes and bears occasionally around here. I lost one to a coyote, and two of the neighbors lost theirs to bobcats. I’m taking no more chances.

Sharon
    - I get that, I really do. It worries me, too, a bit. But, my husband is determined that she be able to get out and roam, and made sure of it in town. I was worried about that at the time, but she's quite cautious, and he's determined, and Egg is more his cat than mine. Mrr, our son's cat, goes in and out John's bedroom window all night long, as there's a piece of the old screen where he can get in and out, and he's a tough old bird. Will be glad when Egg and Mrr reach some form of detente'. Egg's more of a scaredy-cat, so we need to arrange a space for her where she can get back in at will.

Oh, and I wanted to say, the gastric bypass changed everything for me. I had always hated running, but learned to love it (well, shuffle-run, with the knees) and did that until the right knee got so bad that I just couldn't anymore. But every pound you lose is four pounds of pressure off your leg joints, and you will be amazed how much better you feel. Looking forward to the knee replacement for the same reason.

Karen in VA - I feel ya on the soda/Gatorade thing. My son asked me, when I was picking up lunch, to pick him up a Coke, and it weirded me out. Lots of reasons. Haven't drank soda/pop/coke, whatever you want to call it, since my own gastric bypass, 13 years ago now. And knowing it's empty calories now, and how much damage sugar does to me just made it weird. I know you're missing Farley, after so long taking care of him, and my heart goes out to you.

Busy day in front of me today - need to get Corey's lunch made, and coffee going (it's 4 a.m.), and as he goes out the door, I'll be right behind him. Going down to the rental house to clean all the floors and surfaces so we can turn that back over to them (fingers crossed they get it rented soon and get us out of the lease!). Once I get that done, need to go to the office supply store and pick up linen paper to get 200 letters and envelopes printed, packaged up and mailed out to Midland, TX for signatures and sending out from there. Long story, but for work, of course.

Today/tomorrow, got to find all my usual business clothes and get packed for a business trip. Leaving Wednesday morning about this same time, and will be in El Paso and the environs for a week. Not usually an issue, packing, but things are a little scattered around the house at the moment, got to find everything and get it all back in my suitcase. Back again about midnight the following Tuesday.

Off to the races, kids,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,682 Member
    morning ladies~
    i am up have the dogs fed and there is heavy frost on the pumpkin here in Ct..slept pretty well but it is kind of hard with thee dogs stuffed around you especially when you need to hit the rest room.
    will take the boys out for a walk and go feed DFIL , then maybe stop at my place and water the plants and check on things... working 11-5 today..
    Lisa ~ so glad that you are longer a nomad and have your forever home <3
    I have found alot more peace in my life with ,putting my life into the good lords hands...he knows what he is doing..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,193 Member
    Did a bit of writing just after I spoke to you this morning. First time I've done it so early. :D:D

Sorted out loads of old jewellery from the top of one wardrobe. A pile to take to the charity shop, but I've kept some valueless sentimental pieces. From my teenage years. :o;) They are in a wooden box my parents gave to me one Christmas when I was about seven.

More to do this pm.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx