What do you eat the morning before a race?

13»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Exactly what you eat when you train.
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member
    BecMarty14 wrote: »
    I personally make sure to have 0 chocolate for two days before a race.
    Otherwise, it's a wonderful experiment. You will become ever more of an expert as you listen to your body and grow that mind - body connection.

What now?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    FL_Hiker wrote: »
    Otherwise, it's a wonderful experiment. You will become ever more of an expert as you listen to your body and grow that mind - body connection.

What now?

That's similar to my reaction. I had a GF chocolate lava cake the night before my last half (last week) and smashed my stretch goal.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

The cereal I usually have on race day is chocolate. PBed my race by 3 and a half minutes... I totally blame the chocolate! :laugh:
  • FL_Hiker
    FL_Hiker Posts: 919 Member

The cereal I usually have on race day is chocolate. PBed my race by 3 and a half minutes... I totally blame the chocolate! :laugh:

Shame on you!!! LOL!
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 301 Member
    The problem could be that you’re eating 30mins before a long run. We’re all different but you may just be finding you just need to eat earlier.

I tend not to do anything different from usual mealtimes, maybe a flapjack or something if I’m feeling low on energy.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    just had the salted caramel gu...wow that was good
    one of my favorites without caffeine is the strawberry kiwi
  • rodmelching
    rodmelching Posts: 67 Member
    rainbow198 wrote: »
    If it's early in the morning I go fasted. I'm just not hungry in the mornings.

I do make sure I ate well the day before, I hydrate beforehand and I bring a couple of homemade protein bars with me.

Then I'll enjoy a big breakfast afterwards. 😋

@rainbow198 . . I thought PR was an acronym for personal record . . actually means "pancake record" the post-race breakfast feast. LOL
  • Jpedno
    Jpedno Posts: 301 Member
    As already noted by others... nothing new on race day!

Before a half I Generally eat pb or almond butter on toast. Or Nutella on cinnamon raisin bread with a banana. Or A clif bar. Or A bagel. Always accompanied by NUUN rehydration tablet in my water. Honeystinger gummies for during the run. I am definitely NOT one of those people that can do a long run in an empty stomach!
  • stanlfink
    stanlfink Posts: 267 Member
    for me, I usually don’t eat before running to train. This is what I’m accustomed to and then I do t have the urge to go to the bathroom. For an actual run, I will eat a banana ahead of time to prevent or minimize muscle cramps. If a banana isn’t enough for you, then perhaps some small amount of oatmeal or granola that might stick to your ribs and help you prevent stomach cramps.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Hi y'all,
    I'm trying to figure out what I should eat 30 minutes to an hour before my half marathon next week. I've been experimenting and so far it hasn't gone well let's just say. Last week I tried a tbsp of peanut butter on toast an hour before I ran 12 miles and around the 10 mile mark my stomach had some issues. What are some other things I could try? I bought a banana this week and made Rice Krispie treats, would either of those be too much sugar right before a run? Maybe oatmeal? I apologize for my ignorance... nutrition is not my strong point. Curious to see what others eat!
    Thanks!

I generally can't eat within 1-2hours before a long run. If I have a run scheduled for say 10am, I'll have a bowl of oats with yoghurt, berries, banana and nuts at about 6.30am. Then I have Percy Pigs and shot bloks during the run and stuff my face after.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Hi y'all,
    I'm trying to figure out what I should eat 30 minutes to an hour before my half marathon next week. I've been experimenting and so far it hasn't gone well let's just say. Last week I tried a tbsp of peanut butter on toast an hour before I ran 12 miles and around the 10 mile mark my stomach had some issues. What are some other things I could try? I bought a banana this week and made Rice Krispie treats, would either of those be too much sugar right before a run? Maybe oatmeal? I apologize for my ignorance... nutrition is not my strong point. Curious to see what others eat!
    Thanks!

Personally I generally camp at races, so for an 0830 race start I'll get up at 0600 and boil up enough water for a couple of pots of ready made porridge, a banana, apple and a couple of cups of coffee. During the race briefing I'll have a gel.

I carry two 500ml bottles of tailwind as well.
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    I get terrible runners runs so for any race (or indeed any cardio) I don’t eat beforehand.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I do oatmeal before a race along with sips of some gatorade or some other sports drink. I crack open a bag of skittles and pop a few before a race and eat ~1 each mile just for something to look forward to and pace-setting. Clif Blocks are really nice on the run and easy digested/high calorie.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    I do oatmeal before a race along with sips of some gatorade or some other sports drink. I crack open a bag of skittles and pop a few before a race and eat ~1 each mile just for something to look forward to and pace-setting. Clif Blocks are really nice on the run and easy digested/high calorie.

Oh, I like that Skittles thing. I'm going to try this.
  • clynds
    clynds Posts: 41 Member
    I vote for oatmeal with maple syrup 60-90 min before. Definitely test it in training.
  • cgibson522
    cgibson522 Posts: 31 Member
    I drink lots and lots of water the day before so that I don't have to drink much in the morning before the race. Before running, I eat a banana with peanut butter. Gotta have some energy but not a full stomach. I've been able to run several half marathons that way and not have any gels along the way. They make me too thirsty.