Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Discuss usefulness of "Woo" button and "Woo Stalkers"

Replies

• kshama2001kshama2001 Posts: 18,574Member Member Posts: 18,574Member Member
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Is there really "woo" stalking?
    I don't pay much attention to the things at the bottom and I don't understand why anyone cares about them or why someone gets upset about them.
    I used to "woo" people in success stories when I thought it meant "woo-hoo" I was happy for their success. Otherwise I don't pay any attention to who gets woo.

I am amazed that this is such a big deal and so many people are upset about it. WOO the ____ cares?

I don't care about my woos, but am really bothered by the idea of woo stalkers.
  • WholeFoods4LyfeWholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,451Member Member Posts: 1,451Member Member
    I also like the idea of a "disagree" button. I understand that not everyone is going to agree on everything all of the time, but I definitely feel like I'm "targeted" on the main boards by one or more Woo-Stalkers. I've actually stopped posting all together recently because it started to bother me. I'm also an admittedly sensitive person, so take my position with a grain of salt.

I feel like there are certain types of posters who seem to get woo'd the most, and they are the ones talking about things like Keto and IF for the most part. There are many people who are very passionate and many more who......aren't. It's okay to disagree, and even to have an educated conversation about it, but when someone like myself comes in and is posting about my personal experience, it's ridiculous that I get woo'd.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 28,004Member Member Posts: 28,004Member Member
    I've been on a few forums over the years and the vast majority of them are vBulletin format (which is a lot more user-friendly than these Vanilla ones.) I've never been on a forum with negative reaction choices, so it's been interesting to see this play out.

Definitely agree that Woo should just be removed entirely. Just one positive reaction is more than enough. I don't really think we need any reaction buttons at all, but I do remember the clamor for a "thumbs up" button on here before there were any.
  • pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,436Member Member Posts: 12,436Member Member
    I've been on a few forums over the years and the vast majority of them are vBulletin format (which is a lot more user-friendly than these Vanilla ones.) I've never been on a forum with negative reaction choices, so it's been interesting to see this play out.

Definitely agree that Woo should just be removed entirely. Just one positive reaction is more than enough. I don't really think we need any reaction buttons at all, but I do remember the clamor for a "thumbs up" button on here before there were any.

I was also posting here well before any reaction buttons, and wonder of wonders - it worked just fine. It was strange to come back after a few years and see them (before woo and hug, when we still had awesome).
    @Alex your thoughts on woo stalkers?
  • try2againtry2again Posts: 3,330Member Member Posts: 3,330Member Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean I don't know how you guys know there are negative stalkers. That seems weird.

Couldn't it be that (like mds1207 says above) people actually do LIKE the post? Someone is following you to tell you "WooHoo!" I don't see why we have to assume the worst. There are hundreds of people who are lurkers who rarely post.

Because I get my typical one woo on even the most neutral mundane posts, and can't imagine anyone being such a huge fan of my mere presence in a thread, I do assume mine is negative.

This^^. "I think I broke a fingernail."- *woo* And yes, it is creepy :(

In a past thread on the topic, I remember it being made clear a dislike/disagree/thumbs-down was never going to happen. I guess the negativity of a thumbs-down would cause MFP to implode or something.
    edited October 2018
    The only issue that I take with the proposed dislike button is that instead of getting woos on selfies people might start amassing dislikes instead - and I can't imagine that if people already have an issue with woos on selfies that they'll prefer getting dislikes.

I'm not familiar with the "woos on selfies" thing, but wouldn't this be a case of the poster thinking the reaction means "Woo Hoo!"?
  • jjpptt2jjpptt2 Posts: 4,500Member Member Posts: 4,500Member Member
    Agreed.

I don't know if MFP would support something as blatant as "disagree" because of the overall welcoming/supportive environment they try to foster... but that would be my first choice. Otherwise, I say just remove it completely.

But bigger picture, as long as they are anonymous reactions, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me either way.
  • PAV8888PAV8888 Posts: 5,624Member Member Posts: 5,624Member Member
    The only issue that I take with the proposed dislike button is that instead of getting woos on selfies people might start amassing dislikes instead - and I can't imagine that if people already have an issue with woos on selfies that they'll prefer getting dislikes.

See, wouldn't it have been much nicer if I could have expressed my disagreement; not dislike, by clicking disagree instead of woo?

The idea of woo was probably to help newbies differentiate well... woo.

But it has evolved into a personal like / dislike vote as opposed to a vote about the contents of the post.

Which is why I most carefully continue to call it a "disagree" as opposed to a "dislike" or thumbs down button, because, IMHO, the reaction should be about what was said and not about who said it and whether we like them or don't like them or we are their friends, or not.
    edited October 2018
  • hesn92hesn92 Posts: 5,481Member Member Posts: 5,481Member Member
    I like the idea of changing it to "disagree." I don't like "woo" and think it's too confusing and I think there are people who "woo" posts just because they don't like that person for whatever reason.

I think most people probably don't know what "woo" means until they've been in these forums for a while. I personally NEVER hear the term "woo" or "woo woo" anywhere else.
    edited October 2018
  • DoubleUbeaDoubleUbea Posts: 1,128Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,128Member, Premium Member
    edited October 2018
  • nvmomketonvmomketo Posts: 12,031Member Member Posts: 12,031Member Member
    This post about a keto diet plan has 19 woos so far. My guess is it is partially because his title is keto is the right way, but he did not add YMMV or something along those lines.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10701185/keto-is-the-right-way#latest

Disagree would have worked better.

Speaking of woo stalkers, I was woo'ed for saying "Good Luck!" :D I was woo'ed a few more times down the thread for my opinion that it is not uncommon in any new diet for someone to turn to food, and go off their new eating plan, when times are tough.
    edited October 2018
  • MykatetMykatet Posts: 50Member, Premium Member Posts: 50Member, Premium Member
    When I first came here I thought woo meant woohoo too. Opps
  • orangequiltorangequilt Posts: 84Member Member Posts: 84Member Member
    Mykatet wrote: »

I did too until I read this! Is there any way I can see who I woo'd and un-woo them??!!
  • nvmomketonvmomketo Posts: 12,031Member Member Posts: 12,031Member Member

That's a where a disagree button would be better - clearer meaning. I don't think your experienece is rare. :)
  • cmriversidecmriverside Posts: 28,004Member Member Posts: 28,004Member Member

I did too until I read this! Is there any way I can see who I woo'd and un-woo them??!!

No, but don't lose any sleep over it. If someone takes a little number on a post seriously then maybe they don't belong on internet forums.

No harm done. :flowerforyou:

• Safari_GalSafari_Gal Posts: 888Member Member Posts: 888Member Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    The "Woo" button was rolled out in beta mode with two different and contradictory meanings. While the meaning was since officially changed to mean that you think an idea or approach is too good to be true, many people still think it means "Woo Hoo!" and use it thusly until they happen to read that this is the wrong way to use that reaction.

Additionally, I am seeing more and more people who mention "woo stalkers" - that whenever they make a post, someone woo's it, whatever the content. This troubles me.

I think our Woo reaction experiment has failed and we should get rid of it. Perhaps replace it with something less ambiguous and open to abuse. Thoughts?

Agree!