Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Discuss usefulness of "Woo" button and "Woo Stalkers"

Replies

• pinuplovepinuplove Posts: 12,434Member Member Posts: 12,434Member Member
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    Mykatet wrote: »
    When I first came here I thought woo meant woohoo too. Opps

I did too until I read this! Is there any way I can see who I woo'd and un-woo them??!!

What MFP really needs is net-woo functionality that would subtract off the negative woos from the positive woos giving you net-woos.

:lol: Right after they roll out net carbs! Roughly equal complaints about both.
  • Safari_GalSafari_Gal Posts: 888Member Member Posts: 888Member Member
    Woo stalkers = kinda sad really. (If indeed that’s the case- with so many people thinking it’s a oh yeah! It’s hard to quantify.)

But I’ve been disappointed overall in most of the forums with how negatively people speak to one another. Seriously - it’s a fitness app!

MFP - the woo button is divisive and half the people use it thinking it has a different meaning. Time to upgrade to something more clear and meaningful.

My 2 cents! Have a great day all! 🌞
    edited October 2018
  • New_Heavens_EarthNew_Heavens_Earth Posts: 504Member Member Posts: 504Member Member
    try2again wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean I don't know how you guys know there are negative stalkers. That seems weird.

Couldn't it be that (like mds1207 says above) people actually do LIKE the post? Someone is following you to tell you "WooHoo!" I don't see why we have to assume the worst. There are hundreds of people who are lurkers who rarely post.

Because I get my typical one woo on even the most neutral mundane posts, and can't imagine anyone being such a huge fan of my mere presence in a thread, I do assume mine is negative.

This^^. "I think I broke a fingernail."- *woo* And yes, it is creepy :(

In a past thread on the topic, I remember it being made clear a dislike/disagree/thumbs-down was never going to happen. I guess the negativity of a thumbs-down would cause MFP to implode or something.

Imagine someone with BDD (body dysmorphic disorder) or other insecurities/ issues posting a picture then getting a dislike. Could be damaging to the psyche.

Hug is like here's a hug for moral support or empathy. Bring back awesome.

• try2againtry2again Posts: 3,330Member Member Posts: 3,330Member Member
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Yeah, I mean I don't know how you guys know there are negative stalkers. That seems weird.

Couldn't it be that (like mds1207 says above) people actually do LIKE the post? Someone is following you to tell you "WooHoo!" I don't see why we have to assume the worst. There are hundreds of people who are lurkers who rarely post.

Because I get my typical one woo on even the most neutral mundane posts, and can't imagine anyone being such a huge fan of my mere presence in a thread, I do assume mine is negative.

This^^. "I think I broke a fingernail."- *woo* And yes, it is creepy :(

In a past thread on the topic, I remember it being made clear a dislike/disagree/thumbs-down was never going to happen. I guess the negativity of a thumbs-down would cause MFP to implode or something.

Imagine someone with BDD (body dysmorphic disorder) or other insecurities/ issues posting a picture then getting a dislike. Could be damaging to the psyche.

Hug is like here's a hug for moral support or empathy. Bring back awesome.

Honestly never occurred to me, because the idea of posting a picture of myself in a public forum has never crossed my mind ;) I can certainly understand the concern. I'm thinking entirely of discussion situations, which is why it's always been my opinion that "disagree" is the best option. Completely removes the emotion and as a bonus, really has no application to pictures.
    edited October 2018
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 11,161Member Member Posts: 11,161Member Member
    Getting rid of the buttons entirely is not a good option, IMO: It results in more volume of posts with no content other than "I agree" or the like. One hardly ever sees "+1" posts around here with no other content besides that, but it used to be much more common.

I don't like the ambiguity of woo, would rather have a disagree option, but don't feel strongly about it.

I'm not even remotely disturbed by random woos, or the occasional seeming woo-stalker. I admit, I've only been (AFAIK) woo-stalked within a thread so far, not everywhere. Still don't think I'd care: I don't think the occasional woo or two affects how 3rd parties evaluate what I've written. At 3+, I start questioning whether what I communicated was clear and correct. None of that affects my self-image in any larger sense, speaking only for myself.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

I'm not even remotely disturbed by random woos, or the occasional seeming woo-stalker. I admit, I've only been (AFAIK) woo-stalked within a thread so far, not everywhere. Still don't think I'd care: I don't think the occasional woo or two affects how 3rd parties evaluate what I've written. At 3+, I start questioning whether what I communicated was clear and correct. None of that affects my self-image in any larger sense, speaking only for myself.

Woos certainly don't affect my self-image, but at times they bother me for other reasons. Recently I offered what I believed to be sound advice, but admittedly the poster had certain factors involved in their situation that were unusual. The woo there bothered me, because if I said something ill-advised, I would have liked it to be explained, but no one followed up. Though it was partly designed to prevent multiple people from piling on with the same comment, when it's given without further explanation, it can be frustrating. I've had several like that.
  • New_Heavens_EarthNew_Heavens_Earth Posts: 504Member Member Posts: 504Member Member

Woos certainly don't affect my self-image, but at times they bother me for other reasons. Recently I offered what I believed to be sound advice, but admittedly the poster had certain factors involved in their situation that were unusual. The woo there bothered me, because if I said something ill-advised, I would have liked it to be explained, but no one followed up. Though it was partly designed to prevent multiple people from piling on with the same comment, when it's given without further explanation, it can be frustrating. I've had several like that.

I got another woo! Woohoo!

The only woo that bothered me was something about my personal life experience. They weren't there, didn't happen to them, so what gives someone the right to say "your experience is irrelevant or unbelievable to me, so here's a woo".

Scroll, don't troll.
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Posts: 3,991Member Member Posts: 3,991Member Member
    Getting rid of the buttons entirely is not a good option, IMO: It results in more volume of posts with no content other than "I agree" or the like. One hardly ever sees "+1" posts around here with no other content besides that, but it used to be much more common.

I don't like the ambiguity of woo, would rather have a disagree option, but don't feel strongly about it.

Exactly. Those of us who were here before the buttons remember long, long threads with mostly arguing. When someone explains why they don't agree with you, then you respond, then they respond, then you respond, then they and their friends respond, then you and your friends respond,........ It escalated and went on forever, and many good threads were shut down and good advice and information lost. Woo is not a good option, but it's better than what was. Many knowlegeable posters wound up in "jail" or banned. I still miss them. I like the idea of "disagree" myself, but my vote doesn't count.
  • 35dollars35dollars Posts: 817Member, Greeter, Premium Member Posts: 817Member, Greeter, Premium Member
    Whether "woo" is the right word for it, I'm not sure - there have been enough confusions over it that I tend to doubt it - if you're not familiar with skeptic thinking, you probably won't have come across the term previously. However, I think that having an option for flagging posts as "this is a load of pseudoscience / broscience / urban myth" is A Good Thing, as a way to warn new-comers that (for example) the latest promotion of some MLM scheme / ACV enthusiast / fad of the month has no objective value, rather than descending into a long flame war about it.
  • TavistockToadTavistockToad Posts: 35,819Member Member Posts: 35,819Member Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    DoubleUbea wrote: »
    Is there really "woo" stalking?
    I don't pay much attention to the things at the bottom and I don't understand why anyone cares about them or why someone gets upset about them.
    I used to "woo" people in success stories when I thought it meant "woo-hoo" I was happy for their success. Otherwise I don't pay any attention to who gets woo.

I am amazed that this is such a big deal and so many people are upset about it. WOO the ____ cares?

I don't care about my woos, but am really bothered by the idea of woo stalkers.

i only get woo's from my stalker at certain times of the day, which leads me to believe they are in a different timezone to me...
    35dollars wrote: »
    Whether "woo" is the right word for it, I'm not sure - there have been enough confusions over it that I tend to doubt it - if you're not familiar with skeptic thinking, you probably won't have come across the term previously. However, I think that having an option for flagging posts as "this is a load of pseudoscience / broscience / urban myth" is A Good Thing, as a way to warn new-comers that (for example) the latest promotion of some MLM scheme / ACV enthusiast / fad of the month has no objective value, rather than descending into a long flame war about it.

Yes, but if those newcomers don't know what woo is, what good does it do? There are genuinely users out there thinking some of these posts are being cheered.
    35dollars wrote: »

Yes, but if those newcomers don't know what woo is, what good does it do? There are genuinely users out there thinking some of these posts are being cheered.

I agree. And I'm not saying this is the right word to be used, but something like "false." There'd be no confusion as to why someone clicked false on a thread about ACV, for example.

I like it in the respect that "false" relates to going against the evidence and "disagree" is just an opinion, although people will still use their opinions to call something "false". Unfortunately, any option is going to be misused. :(
  • nutmegoreonutmegoreo Posts: 14,127Member Member Posts: 14,127Member Member
    pinuplove wrote: »

Every single post I made this morning received exactly one woo, at least in the threads I followed up on (most all of them). I can only assume someone is wooing every post of mine they see 🤷 I'm not bothered by it. Rather amusing, really.

To be clear,

it wasn't me :)

With the number of times she's thrown you under the bus (lovingly, I'm sure), I wouldn't blame you if it was you. :laugh: