Running and deadlifting - pain in lower back

Options
2»

Replies

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Just gonna to add my twopennyth worth.

I was lifting before I got in to running, but during marathon training at the start of the year I had to lay off the deadlifting as I wasnt recovering.

After the marathons i restarted deadlifting and for the first few weeks, my back did ache at random times. It was just my body getting reused to the movement. Now I don't feel it at all.

I also used to get my back aching at random times during a long run (by that I mean enough to make me pull up and catch my breath). Told my trainer about it and we did some pretty intense core work,which really helped.
  • MohsenSALAH
    MohsenSALAH Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Anterior pelvic tilt causes lower back pain in heavy exercises like deadlifts or squats

https://youtu.be/2NZMaI-HeNU

Check this out maybe that's why
    And also check ur form
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    If it hasn't already been said: go see an athletic therapist or some other certified health professional with a kinesiology background. I would have said work on the strength ratio between your quads and hammies but your lower back issue can really be due to most any imbalance or misalignment from between your knees to your shoulders. So...consider getting it checked, love.
  • johnbtay3
    johnbtay3 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    jesselee10 wrote: »
    Always working on improving form. Just weird that running irritates my back, wondering what exactly does running do that makes it sore. Maybe constant pounding, jarring the lower back?

Could be a lot of different things. Maybe you should get a physical Therapy consult. But I would call around and try to find someone that may specialize in running and or back injuries. Could be shoes, poor core strength, leg length discrepancy, poor hip strength etc.
  • midgetgrl72280
    midgetgrl72280 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have chronic low back pain as well and I run. extended warm ups and cool downs, trunk rotations, and ice helps. sometimes I have to start out slower in my jog to warm up all the muscles & tendons. Low sugar diet helps reduce the inflamation. I also do core exercises for my diastis recti that really helps alleviate the low back pain.