Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Keto diet = good or bad

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    While sugar is pretty much only carbs (but has benefit as a flavor enhancer for more nutrient-dense foods), a cup of white flour gives 32% of your iron rda. It's also got some potassium. And if it's enriched, then add in B-vitamins.

The enrichment is what adds the iron too, though I'm not sure how bioavailable it is.
  • Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,902 Member
    I confess I never eat bread for nutrients. I eat it because I love the stuff.

Anecdote >>>Growing up rather poor, sometimes we had some bread in the house and a slice would go in a bowl with a little milk... Really odd how I never lost my taste for that.

I didn't gain weight either 😂
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Phirrgus wrote: »

Anecdote >>>Growing up rather poor, sometimes we had some bread in the house and a slice would go in a bowl with a little milk... Really odd how I never lost my taste for that.

We used to do the same with extra gravy - if we didn't have anything else to put the gravy on, we would put it on bread or toast.
  • Phirrgus
    ccrdragon wrote: »

We used to do the same with extra gravy - if we didn't have anything else to put the gravy on, we would put it on bread or toast.

SoS 😋 that's another favorite
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I don't do Keto. I eat grains, fiber and a moderate amount of sugar. I don't consider myself overly sensitive.

@fatblatta I celebrate the fact that you have found a way to eat that helps you down the path to your goals. I applaud you in having the courage to follow that path. I respect your experiences that have made you the person that you are today.

While my experiences might be different...along with the different path that I have chosen to follow...I hope that we both continue to have the courage to see it through.

^^^ For the win!
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,285 Member
    I don't have a gym membership and I get pizza and ice cream. I mean, why wouldn't I? A large cheese slice is around 250 calories, same as a premium scoop of Baskin Robbins; an ice cream sandwich is about 160. Two hour walks and strength training? TOTALLY worth it!
  • Phirrgus
    I'm airing one last thought now that the "conversation" seems to be over. Something that bugs the heck out of me is how I've seen some keto sites (and heard people) present it. That ketovale site ..."Join our movement"...

What movement? It's a way someone chooses to eat, not a political/religious/gonna save your soul thing. It's food.

Sounds almost cult like from some people, so I really appreciate the folks who just call it what it is.

Ok, done now lol.

It speaks to human nature. Generally, people are psychologically hard-wired with an inherent need to feel special or enlightened or somehow elevated from the uneducated. Self-worth, in many cases, insists upon it.

That's why any sort of perceived in-the-know special interest group - in any area of life - generally gets its hardcore adherents and most vocal proponents amongst the newly-converted.

It's like finding the holy grail.

Even when its not.

@snickerscharlie That bold is so well said, as is the rest, but I focused on that as, seeing it in print like that, it's so prevalent across so many different scenarios and applications.

We all have intrinsic value in my opinion, and a very high value at that, whether an individual knows it or not. I'll continue to seek affirmation elsewhere I think...

Thanks for your input, always appreciated :)
This discussion has been closed.