Help to run faster

2»

Replies

• shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    More miles! I'm a pacer, not a racer, myself. lol My speed only increases when my endurance is stronger, and that happens with more miles. Increase your running distance safely by adding just 10% more each week, as you feel comfortable. Doing a bit of 'cross training' helps too. My time increased when I would do some light lifting or yoga on off days, and switched up some days to do the rowing machine instead of lower body focused cardio to give my lower body a break. But do what works for YOU, and don't try to force yourself to be fast right out of the gates.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    I was of the school of thought that miles increase time, I increased miles and I went from 10 min miles to 9 minute miles and then sat between 9 and 9.30 depending on if I were 5 or 10k... I believe that the only way to increase speed is training! Hill training, intervals and instructed speed training.

You need to decide what you want to concentrate on first, a quicker 5/10k or the ability to run a consistent distance (marathon or ultra) and once you have picked your individual furthest, work on doing it quicker.

I know I will never do more than a half, Each one i do I look to take match or decrease the time taken, I have gone 2.20, 2.15 and 2.06. My next one im looking for 2.06 or pref 2. small steps but I'm out there running and I am proud of that.

Given where the originator is, they'll make rapid gains just pushing steady pace distances. Without the aerobic base the other types of training don't generate significant improvements.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I also assume there is a degree of diminishing benefit in some situations. Someone who wanted to imporove their 5k time, regardless of ability/time, probably shouldn't be pushing out mileage to HM distances. It's one thing to increase distance to 6 or 7 or even 10k, but at some point more distance isn't helpful. I don't think OP is at that point, and I don't think anyone was suggesting HUGE distance goals for her.

In general there is a balance between total weekly distance, distance of the long steady run and the number/ distance of speed work sessions.

For a 5K improvement plan I'd veer towards about 35-40 now with no more than a 10mi LSR and all the other sessions being 10K.

For a novice runner wanting to improve a 5K performance about 10K is as far as you'd want to go. Once someone is on 30-40Kpw of steady paced, then look at starting to bring in some speed sessions. For a novice to speed sessions that might mean two 10K LSRs, a 5K steady run and a 45 minute spread session. So cycling the total distance down to accommodate the increased intensity, and manage risk.
  • makkimakki2018
    makkimakki2018 Posts: 414 Member
    Run on a beach where the sand is thick enough, but not too thick. You will have a harder time running on sand than on paved roads. You will be faster eventually on paved roads.
  • ellyseb1
    ellyseb1 Posts: 49 Member
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’m mostly interested in being able to do a faster 5k next spring. Nothing longer than that on the horizon. I took the advice and ran a little longer today. The weather was great so I managed 4k in 34 min. Slower pace but longer time! Tired, but not exhausted.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited October 2018
    ellyseb1 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I’m mostly interested in being able to do a faster 5k next spring. Nothing longer than that on the horizon. I took the advice and ran a little longer today. The weather was great so I managed 4k in 34 min. Slower pace but longer time! Tired, but not exhausted.

That's terrific! Just remember to work your way up slowly. Adding too much distance too quickly is almost as bad as going too fast for a beginning runner (or any runner). The speed will come. Save the crazy speed workouts for next year when your body is ready for them.

Good luck.
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Great suggestions!!!!
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Thanks. Still working on a steady 10km without walking. With some walking I'm around 7min/KM, so running faster. Thinking maybe I should slow the run part down to run more of it.
    Ran a full 10K yesterday. Still ended up a 7min/km average. Was a trail run so portions of it were real slow, but still running. Might try a flat run next weekend to see if I can do a 6:45. That seemed to be my pace on the flat part at the end.
  • Mccloud74
    Mccloud74 Posts: 789 Member
    Hi there,
    I started running about 3 months ago, at first I couldn't even run for a minute without being out of breath and having to stop!
    I can now do 10km without stopping...my pace is 12:30min mile / 8 min km. But way I see it is that I'm out there doing it and can now run for 69 minutes longer than I could 12 weeks ago :smile:
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Look for a local track club that you can work out with. In my experience, speed workouts and sprints made my 5k and mile paces faster really quickly, and I also benefited from the coaching and trying to race other people. You might also want to just add pickups to your run, like every 2 minutes run harder/faster for 30 seconds. You can also run hills. Pushing your comfort level seems to help speed.