Strongman

RealWorldStrengthLLC
RealWorldStrengthLLC Posts: 552 Member
edited October 2018 in Fitness and Exercise
Recently I've gotten really into strongman, been reading up and watching vids/YouTube/documentaries on the likes of Eddie Hall, Brian Shaw, Big Z, Marius P, Benedikt, Thor, Magnus ver Magnusson etc. Really find it amazing what these guys can accomplish.

It has inspired me to throw 1-2 strongman style events that complement the muscle group of the day into my training at the end of every workout - problem is I go to a regular gym so I'm kind of limited. Anyone have any ideas for this type of training? So far I've got

Tire flips-no idea the wieght, I just use the biggest tire my gym has.
Sledge hammer tire hits - I use a 16lb sledge, and usually superset this with presses or something of the like
Farmers walks w/dumbbells
Obviously I do squats and Deadlifts on legs and back days respectively.
Been thinking about loading up a bar in the squat rack and doing a bit of a makeshift "yoke walk" but this presents its own set of problems.

I'm thinking of picking up a harness to pull my truck, and maybe finding and empty pony keg, going into the field by my house and hurling it in the air as high as I can.

Anyone else into this stuff, I'm open to ideas. And yes, I know the obvious answer is find a strongman gym and that is the goal for when I can actually eat a caloric surplus but for now I just want to throw 1-2 of these types of exercises in at the back end of my regular lifting program.

Replies

• Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Viking press on a squat machine (gym hack)
    Farmer's walk with hex bar/trap bar

Might have to do a search in the area for powerlifting/strongman catered gyms