Do you ever comment on unrealistic logging by friends?

Options

Replies

• Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Ehhh, I log my gym time. Do I eat my calories back? No because I know it's not correct. My typical elliptical work out is 35-40 minutes starting at level 12 and ending at level 25. Am I burning more calories than the person who does the elliptical at level 1 for 40 minutes? Yup....but I just don't put that much into what MFP says I've earned back. I log it for the minutes. But at the end of the day....unless people ask it's not my business. My biggest issue is WTF is mine always logged in Dutch?!
  • 100_PROOF_
    100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    When I first joined here I noticed a lot of people logging cleaning, breastfeeding, walking the mailbox, pushing a grocery buggy as exercise. I even asked if that was what we were supposed to be doing here because I couldn't understand why that stuff wasn't already included in daily activities. ( It was, I just didn't know yet)
    These people said that the activities needed to be logged and that is why they are in the database.
    I did some poking around and saw what formula mfp was using and then realized that those things are indeed accounted for in our activity level.
    I thought it was ironic that those same people cried about not losing weight all the time.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Got a real giggle with this entry that came up on my feed ....

....burned 545 calories doing 90 minutes of Spare time exercise

That is some really strenuous spare time!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that I log a hours’ walk for about 100 calories and a bunch of my friends say “nice burn”, I log 1000+ calories for a two hour run and no one says anything...

so much this... i get that a lot!!!!
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    annaskiski wrote: »
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    When I first joined here I noticed a lot of people logging cleaning, breastfeeding, walking the mailbox, pushing a grocery buggy as exercise. I even asked if that was what we were supposed to be doing here because I couldn't understand why that stuff wasn't already included in daily activities. ( It was, I just didn't know yet)
    These people said that the activities needed to be logged and that is why they are in the database.
    I did some poking around and saw what formula mfp was using and then realized that those things are indeed accounted for in our activity level.
    I thought it was ironic that those same people cried about not losing weight all the time.

The breastfeeding entry is valid, isn't it? Thought it was like 500 extra calories a day or something? How else would you log it? I guess you could change your activity level but that seems six of one a half dozen of the other.

Yes, you need to eat more breastfeeding since you are 'giving away' a bunch of your calories.
    I suppose when non-moms see it as 'activity', it might be surprising. But consuming about 500 calories extra per day is recommended by all breastfeeding organizations...

AFAIK adding breastfeeding in as exercise is the only way to bump up your calorie goal temporarily on mfp without completely resetting your goals.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

If your activity is set to sedentary, then some of this makes sense. It's not much different than my tracker giving me calories for steps taken in the day over a certain amount (and taking calories away if I'm under a certain amount). So if it's unusual activity and the person picked an activity level that wouldn't include them, then yeah it's good to add them. If they are using the software properly. I know if I spend a couple hours cleaning up my garage, I get extra calories for it. But I also do it rarely (needs to be done again).

• kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

Breastfeeding is not accounted for in the regular activities. There is no breastfeeding setting people can choose. You either account for the extra calorie burn through activity or choose the negative calorie adjustment to increase your calories in the food diary.

Some people also put their activity level as sedentary and then will log daily activities. This is more about confusion about how the site defines sedentary, since a lot of people interpret that as basically doing nothing at all in terms of activity, and think they are supposed to log the other stuff. Most people are not familiar with NEAT or TDEE, unless they have taken a class, work in a field that involves those calculations, or have a personal interest in the subject, so they wouldn't think to go digging into which formula MFP is using, they just pop their numbers in and go.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    annaskiski wrote: »

The breastfeeding entry is valid, isn't it? Thought it was like 500 extra calories a day or something? How else would you log it? I guess you could change your activity level but that seems six of one a half dozen of the other.

Yes, you need to eat more breastfeeding since you are 'giving away' a bunch of your calories.
    I suppose when non-moms see it as 'activity', it might be surprising. But consuming about 500 calories extra per day is recommended by all breastfeeding organizations...

AFAIK adding breastfeeding in as exercise is the only way to bump up your calorie goal temporarily on mfp without completely resetting your goals.

There are some negative calorie adjustment choices in the food database that can be used. Depending on how long you have been nursing and how frequently the child nurses, it could be 500 calories per day or less. My daughter was over a year old when I joined and did not nurse as frequently, so I think I chose a 250 calorie entry or less.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,736 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    No I would not - even if I actually looked at my news feed which I do not.

I'm sure somebody could look at my diary too - and are you sure every banana you ate was the exact same size and did you really eat all that for dinner and nothing else all day and why didnt you drink any water for years???

Um, because I use the diary in a way that works for me and I lazily log on law of averages and log foods in whichever meal they are already recorded in regardless of when I actually ate them and I dont bother logging water, although I actually drink it about a liter every day.

In short, my diary is a works for me model, not a showcase model - and No, I don't ask for advice so I don't want any.

I do the same thing! Much easier than going around copying and pasting 8 different veggies, meat and condiments from the dinner section if I eat the leftovers for breakfast the next day.

• LiLee2018
    LiLee2018 Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't really pay that much attention to the auto stuff that comes up. Even if I did see that they were BSing.. meh. They're not hurting anyone but themselves.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    It's interesting how many people on here are commenting that they don't even bother looking at their news feeds. Then I'm honestly curious why you have friends on here? I don't mean it in a bad or negative way. It's totally cool to do your own thing and not really want to get involved in all of that. And if its people you talk to regularly through message or some other way, obviously that is different. But why be friends with a bunch of strangers on here if you don't have any interest in interacting with what they post?

I don't offer unsolicited advice on calorie burns, but I certainly read the news feed and like and comment on people's stuff. I know that a lot of people get motivated to do more and post more when they are getting interaction. That is sometimes what can lead to logging daily activity with inappropriate burns, but it also inspires people to eat better and do more exercise.

I'll take a swing. I have a small collection of friends that I regularly interact with on the boards. I might look at the news feed once a week or so, and comment even less than that. In fact this thread prompted me to comment on one persons calorie burn, right @quiksylver296 ? Pretty much got guilted into the first friend and it kinda ballooned from there, to maybe 10 or so. I have over 50 friend requests in my feed if I go and check. I'm sure most were scams of some sort. Only time I really see anything is if I use the app instead of the website and I have the little icon lit up.

I also have maybe 10 FB friends and hit that maybe once a week. But I use FB more for keeping informed on local runs and events, so I liked a running club, running stores etc.

• Zodikosis
    Zodikosis Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Eh, nah, you don't necessarily know why they do what they do. I just had to add like 500 calories worth of "walking" to a few days last week. I forgot to wear my Fitbit those days and it bugs me that it says I was "over" for those days because it thought I was in some kind of coma and only burned ~1200 calories/day. I'm using those numbers for a little statistical experience and I hate to go back way later and figure out which days I was just super sedentary and which days I didn't wear my watch.

I also have my MFP still set to "lose 1/2 lb a week" even though I'm in maintenance because I find that some days I eat over anyway, and aiming for that "1/2 lb loss" number makes it easier for me to actually break even over time.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    It's interesting how many people on here are commenting that they don't even bother looking at their news feeds. Then I'm honestly curious why you have friends on here? I don't mean it in a bad or negative way. It's totally cool to do your own thing and not really want to get involved in all of that. And if its people you talk to regularly through message or some other way, obviously that is different. But why be friends with a bunch of strangers on here if you don't have any interest in interacting with what they post?

I don't offer unsolicited advice on calorie burns, but I certainly read the news feed and like and comment on people's stuff. I know that a lot of people get motivated to do more and post more when they are getting interaction. That is sometimes what can lead to logging daily activity with inappropriate burns, but it also inspires people to eat better and do more exercise.

i would tend to agree with you, i often add people who start threads on here looking for friends, and then they never once comment on anything i post...

but then i figure people use MFP in many different ways, and i just delete people who i haven't bonded with in any way!