This November I Will...

Replies

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    @nebslp BWAHAHA! That does bring a certain picture in my head... Funny! I am thinking I could do 5 arm circles or something also... It has to be something easily done in a "stall" at work, so I'm kind of limited...no lying on the floor and doing sit-ups, no jumping jacks... :mrgreen:

I didn't even think of an immediate reward...Hmmmmm.... I started this yesterday and I just kind of thought to myself "Good job! You got another one down!" and that was enough. But I think as time goes on, I will need something more concrete...maybe allow myself a nice hot cup of flavored decaf after I get all my water in or something?
  • Heidijens123
    Heidijens123 Posts: 289 Member
    I wanted to give a shout out to @MmamaBearR, @birgitwebster, @swimMighty, @Cafelelia, @PackerFanInGB, @clynns54, and @debk0718 who participated in our October challenge and made great strides and progress. If you have a November goal in mind that needs to get checked off the to-do list, we are here for you!

And to @Heidijens123, @MadisonMolly2017, and @mikaila96 who also participated in our October challenge but are grappling with injuries and post-op recoveries, I hope you are feeling better and that each day is a little better for you!

Just wanted to check in and say hi!! After giving my shoulder a few weeks off it is feeling much better and I'm back to going to classes every weekday. I'm sticking to lighter weights for now but pushing myself cardio wise. Thanks for thinking of me!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    @PackerFanInGB, in each trip to the restroom clean water will come out of the faucet. Something we take entirely for granted. Maybe use the running faucet water as an opportunity to reflect on something you are grateful for? That could be one of your “5 somethings”.
  • themedalist
    An update on my November goal, to mix my morning coffee 50/50 caffeinated/decaf and have an evening salad. Both are going very well. The caffeine reduction has had zero downsides, I am fully awake, just less jittery. This is a habit that will definitely stick.

Still eating the salads too. I’ve met my 4 salads a week goal. I’ve had a salad every night, unless it we fajita night or I had breakfast for dinner. I love having breakfast for dinner.
  • themedalist
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I have finished myErrma Bombeck book. I will starting Jude Deveraux book Holly tonight.

So good that hear this, @PinkyPan1. Reading before bed is such a good practice to have. I really miss Erma Bombeck.
  • themedalist
    edited November 2018

Just wanted to check in and say hi!! After giving my shoulder a few weeks off it is feeling much better and I'm back to going to classes every weekday. I'm sticking to lighter weights for now but pushing myself cardio wise. Thanks for thinking of me!

Good to hear from you, @Heidijens123! I’m glad your shoulder is better and that you are back to your gym classes!
  • PackerFanInGB
    An update on my November goal, to mix my morning coffee 50/50 caffeinated/decaf and have an evening salad. Both are going very well. The caffeine reduction has had zero downsides, I am fully awake, just less jittery. This is a habit that will definitely stick.

Still eating the salads too. I’ve met my 4 salads a week goal. I’ve had a salad every night, unless it we fajita night or I had breakfast for dinner. I love having breakfast for dinner.

I love breakfast for dinner too! One of my favorite meals! 😊

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,646 Member

I’m glad your habit changes are having positive results. It’s funny how we think we have to do things a certain way until we find out that we really don’t!
  • M310
    M310 Posts: 13 Member
    Time for my weekly comment (November goal). :) Thanks for the support on movement while hosting a houseful. I did go walking with my cousin and did part of an exercise video with my sister a few times. I planned food very carefully for the whole week of visitors and got along great. It was today, when all our company was gone, that was harder for me. For now I'm exhausted, but trusting I can pick things back up with pre-planning tomorrow. I love reading all the ideas being shared. :)
  • themedalist
    M310 wrote: »
    Time for my weekly comment (November goal). :) Thanks for the support on movement while hosting a houseful. I did go walking with my cousin and did part of an exercise video with my sister a few times. I planned food very carefully for the whole week of visitors and got along great. It was today, when all our company was gone, that was harder for me. For now I'm exhausted, but trusting I can pick things back up with pre-planning tomorrow. I love reading all the ideas being shared. :)

Sounds like you had a great week, @M310. I’m glad you went for a walk and got some exercise video time in with your sister. I’m not surprised that today was more difficult for you. It’s hard to have company leave and you’ve been in hosting mode for some time now. I can understand why you’re exhausted. Wishing you good sleep!
  • nebslp
    @M310 Having company for a week would be exhausting! I sometimes lose focus when events are over and I need to recover. Pre-planning should help things get back to normal.
    @prgirl39mfp You're doing great! It's such a busy time of year, so I'm glad we could catch up on how you're doing.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,749 Member
    77tes wrote: »
    Okay, to prevent getting into the hole with my grading, I decided to make that my November challenge. The thing I need to do prioritize doing the essays instead of checking email or grading smaller assignments.
    1. This November I will stay current with my essay grading.
    2. Small action? Every time I open my computer, I will grade an essay first.
    3. Trigger or cue? When the Canvas page loads, I will click the essays first.
    4. How often? Every weekday 9-5
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing the habit? Give myself a star and a fist pump.
    6. What help do you need from us? Be my cheer leaders.

I got my essays done yesterday, and prioritizing them over the smaller assignments really helped. After I'd finished the essays, I graded the smaller assignments by the end of the day, so my Canvas "To Di" list is currently cleared.:) Finals next week, but I'm ready for them. Then the semester will be over. Thanks for your encouragement, it really helped me stay focused.
  • PackerFanInGB
    I'm checking in for November. I didn't do so well. I think I will have to repeat this same one in December, because it is important to me, but sometimes I don't feel like "I" am very important and put myself on the back burner. I really think I need to use my Outlook calendar and schedule time in for self-care. I just don't do it otherwise!

I am really encouraged to see all the wonderful posts on there though of progress made! Great job!
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    nebslp wrote: »
    @PackerFanInGB good plan and triggers! Do you have an immediate reward you use for reinforcement? I’m laughing at myself because I was trying to think of some 5 things to do and my first thought was leg lifts while standing by the sink. I wonder how many other people would associate that with what I did and laugh!?! 🤪 Probably not that many.

@PinkyPan1 Did you like the book?

I loved the Erma Bombeck book! Lots of laughs. I could not help but wonder what Erma would think of todays technology and how it has impacted the family dynamics.
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    I have dropped the ball at my bedtime reading. I was doing so well too. UGH. I am in the middle of my second book and I will try to get back in the groove of reading at bedtime.
  • nebslp
    @PinkyPan1 I remember reading Erma's books way back when and they are memorable. Some books are easier to stick with than others, especially thrillers, but I wouldn't recommend that as bedtime reading!
  • nebslp
    3rd attempt and hope it's charmed
    :
    My up and down goal was a fail. I need more than fear of future possibilities to make a goal sustainable. But since November is almost a memory, I want to report my progress since beginning my steps goal in October.

Goal: get 250 steps min every hour for at least 8 out of 13 hours a day (from 8AM-9PM).
    STATS:
    Weekly range from Apr-Sept 30 was around 5-7 hours, average about 5. YIKES!
    Oct. 1 (started challenge) - Oct. 28, weekly averages were 8, 10, 10, and 11 hours.
    Oct. 29-Nov 25, weekly averages were 12, 12, 10, 8.
    This week I think my average number of hours will be 11.
    Much improved over when I started keeping stats!

The second part of this "experiment" was to monitor the number of minutes I was stationary, usually when watching a movie, or reading, sewing or traveling.

The following is the 30 day average of stationary time (sitting at one stretch) throughout my waking hours:
    Sept 1- 2 hours 54 minutes
    Oct. 1- 2 hours 38 minutes
    Nov. 1- 1 hour, 59 minutes
    Nov. 30 - 1 hour 30 minutes WooHoo!!!

One more thing...my average total steps for the week has gone up between 8,000-11,000 steps. Oct 29-Nov 4's average was actually up 18,000 steps from when I started October 1.
    Must have been busy that week!

Looks like I'm "quitting the sitting" one minute at a time! I have an internal clock now that let's me know when I've been sitting for almost an hour. Then I get up and walk around and read or get busy with an activity that gets me moving. My inner clock doesn't always work, I still get overly involved in my sitting projects sometimes, but there's a great deal of improvement and I don't expect that to change any time soon.

I wrote a blog post explaining why this challenge is so important to me. I don't know how to link it here, but if anyone's interested, you could send a friend request and you could see it from the home page. I'd like that!

Tomorrow is December!!!

• texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,658 Member
    @nebslp, I listened to the audio book "The Kitchen House" by Kathleen Grissom. I also "couldn't put it down" in ways that one can't put down an audio book :laugh: The narration was done perfectly. Thanks for the recommend!

@PackerFanInGB, I also will repeat my "I will" again in December. Somewhere during my reading everyone's posts I realized that I really don't know actually how well I did with my drinking water first thing during the morning. I do know that there were several days that I missed because my morning was complicated and I exercised later on, and that there were days that I did well with it. And days when I'd find my "morning water bottle" of water half empty. Obviously forgotten.
    While reading I realized that I didn't keep track. So in December I'll make a notation on my exercise calendar each day. Then I can see at a glance what is going on, and track progress.

@M310, when I came here tonight to catch up on reading posts and see how everyone had done with November's goal I was happy to see that you had been faithful with posting your weekly comments <3 .
    It is indeed hard to get out of having company/ guests mode. I couldn't quite put my finger on why I was having trouble getting caught back up again, and feeling extra tired so it was good to see @themedalist explain it and validate that we do get tired afterwards. I mean it is not all that hard to tidy up and run some laundry, but somehow it actually feels like it is. (And of course it is much more than that when all is said and done.)
    I've also had company (my out of town sons and their wives and children/ babies) several times lately in various configurations, which also sometimes included my in town son/daughter and their spouses/friends/toddler coming over (or going there) which also included all or some hosting/ feeding/lodging/ playing games with, as well as lots of :noway: , :laugh: , and :yawn: going on :smiley: .

I finished reading all the posts for November and learned some things and was encouraged by everything being written and shared. I'm excited about all the potential for "December's I will"

See you next month :p ,

texasgardnr :flowerforyou:

• themedalist
    edited December 2018
    Even if you did not succeed at your November goal, kudos to you for trying and for moving it from the “maybe someday I will“ to “This November I will”. We change our lives through action and not wishful thinking. The one suggestion I’d have it’s to consider if your goal is something you want to do or if it’s something you feel you should do. Habit researchers are very clear on this point: we simply cannot force ourselves to adopt a new habit or practice if it’s not something we want to do. In the short term, we can muscle the motivation to make it happen, but motivation fizzles out pretty quickly.

I will have the “This December I Will...” thread up later today!