What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• DSpence1973
    DSpence1973 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I was on day 37 of #75Hard. Then I had to go out of town to a trade show. I ended up getting Covid after getting home and had a fever for a few days. I took a week off of working out then the next week I started running again with short runs. The #75Hard rules say if you miss a day you have to start over so today is day 1. I did my morning outside 45 minute run at 5 am, 4.3 miles. Then over my lunch hour I did a 45 minute full body strength training.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Did a bit too much yesterday and my back was killing me by the end of the day. Though, with as much as I've strengthened it over the past few years, usually when it's like that, it's OK by the next day after a good night's rest. Woke up and, sure enough, back was fine. I cleaned my pool filters yesterday (there's four of them), so it takes around an hour and you're leaning over a lot. That must have been why.

Today was a lift in the AM and then a hard row at lunch. Did this my rowing club's (indoor/machine rowing) monthly challenge. It was 2K X 3 with 2 minute recovery. Did OK, not great but not bad after a lift. Averaged around 2:08.2 for the 3 sets.

Glad to get it done and over with. I have two timed rows a month. Haven't looked at the other one just yet.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    A couple dives in the aquarium. One in the shark habitat keeping an eye on the critters while another diver cleaned the acrylic. Another dive in the reef habitat running a siphon to keep things tidy. Only about 90 minutes total.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Starting to feel better, so another walk on the elliptical! I did an hour at what felt like my normal pace (I wasn't paying close attention.. I was watching YouTube lol). When all was done, I saw that I did keep my HR in the normal zone 2/zone 3 zone, but I had gone further than normal (3.5 mi instead of around 3.2). It's cool to see an increase in pace without even trying. :)

I followed this with some full-body supersets.

It's good to be back at it!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,978 Member
    Options
    Pull Day in the weight room...

Pullups, BB Row, BB Shrugs, Machine Row, Preacher Curls, DB Side Bends, Side Planks
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Small progress in the run last night. 2min on/1 min off felt ok, no significant soreness and aerobic capacity is fine. Got a pool swim in at noon and will jump on the trainer to ride tonight. Gotta earn those points for the fall challenge.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Yesterday: a rest day - not by choice but it was too late after work (my turn to prepare dinner).

Today: worked too late again so no time for strength training. I had a bit of time after dinner for a short run on the treadmill: 4.5km in 31 minutes.

Feels like I've been spinning my wheels the past weeks - stress from work, lack of motivation for strength training... 2.5 weeks before I'm on holiday for more than three weeks - serious deadline pressure.

This really shows that habits are what keep you going, not motivation. Unfortunately my habits don't extend to regular strength training 😆 only running and keeping my calories (sort of) in check.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Easy hour of cardio today. 20 minutes on the treadmill @ 15% incline (roughly 2.3/2.4 MPH) -- this surprisingly gets my HR up over 60% max and it pretty much stays there. Followed that up with 20 minutes on the LateralX and then 20 on the Assault Bike. All between 60% max and 70% max and mostly under 65% max, so right where it should be for an easier cardio day.

Still staying off the rower in my easy days as my finger has never 100% healed. It's like 80% better but not 100%.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Feels like I've been spinning my wheels the past weeks - stress from work, lack of motivation for strength training... 2.5 weeks before I'm on holiday for more than three weeks - serious deadline pressure.

This really shows that habits are what keep you going, not motivation. Unfortunately my habits don't extend to regular strength training 😆 only running and keeping my calories (sort of) in check.

Agree 1000%. This is THE secret. It's not anything else. "We are what we habitually do."

• nossmf
    Options

I hear ya, though for me it's the opposite: if I'm rushed for time I'll only get my lift on, while my cardio tends to be neglected unless I make a conscious effort to ensure it's represented.
  • nossmf
    Options
    Chest Day in the weight room!

Cable twists, bench press, incline DB press, decline cable fly, standing OHP, cable pushdown, cable woodchoppers, Perloff press
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Long days at work, blah blah blah, repeating myself 😛

Yesterday 4.5km in 31min after dinner, always harder when I'm digesting.

Today: barely slept 4 hours last night (woke up in the middle of the night, incapable of falling asleep again) so lots of steps in the morning, pacing while keeping busy on my phone. Tweaked my lower back while rearranging the contents of some cupboards, of all things, so no strength training today. Any movement upright was still fine, so I did a 5km treadmill run instead, in 35min.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2022
    Options
    Another hour of easier cardio. Same as yesterday, but extended the walk, @ 15% incline, on the treadmill, to nearly 30 minutes and split the other 30 between the LateralX and Assault Bike.

HRM twice dropped on me. New version, they must be working the bugs out still. I don't care on my easy days. Would have been really frustrated tomorrow, when I have my hard row day. It's the "Rugby Test" -- a pretty well known fitness test over in the UK. It's a gauge of Rugby fitness. From what I recall from last year, I'm not in very good Rugby form :D . It's basically row 4 minutes, full sprint, 3 minute break, row 3 minutes, 2 minute break, row 2 minutes, one minute break, row 1 minute, one minute break, then (the killer) a 3 minute sprint. It's just brutal. I averaged just over 2:00 pace last year.

I have the rests wrong, here it is exactly.

https://www.freespiritsrowing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=229
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    First row - first actual workout - since Saturday. Around 8k, in bow of the quad, with quite a few power pieces (interval work).

Really good, patient rower in stroke today, very long through the water, and letting the boat create the recovery (letting boat speed bring the boat back under us to the next catch) - so good. Lovely day (40s F and up, sunny, calm water).

On Monday, we had a chilly morning (mid 30s, so not much above freezing), started with a heavy fog, and there was a difficult number of rowers (5). Not wanting anyone out in a single safety-wise, I volunteered to cox a quad. (I'd even brought extra clothes just in case - coxing in low temps is *cold*.) They did a bunch of power pieces; I just yelled, watched our line; steered.

Tuesday, nada - trying to catch up on some stuff around the house.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

Agree 1000%. This is THE secret. It's not anything else. "We are what we habitually do."

This is so deeply true, IMO, on multiple levels.

I'm grateful that for me, the habit of being active started 20+ years ago, long before weight loss to a healthy weight. Now, it's so ingrained that I don't even worry at all if I flake out for a while.

If the rowing club failed, I might be in trouble - not sure - but short of that, random breaks aren't distressing, because I know I'll resume.

Beyond that: It's super seductive to believe that we are somehow our aspirations or intentions. No - if only! (Hah.) I think we are the behavior we display in the world. Everything else is just a daydream.

Kurt Vonnegut argued that "we are what we pretend to be". I think that's right, with behavior the ultimate public yardstick.

I so admire those of you who mastered both activity and eating habits at the same general time. I can't imagine myself achieving that, even though I wish I'd gotten to a healthy weight earlier.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Scrambling to keep multiple balls in the air this week. Son #2 and his employee (and two hunting dogs) in from Nebraska for a week and staying with us. Instant chaos. :) Also trying to win the gym challenge, which means meal prep, two/day workouts, etc. In addition, I'm winding down to retirement this week after 38 years in large enterprise sales all with the same company. LOTS of formal and informal tasks both business and personal to complete in a relatively short time. Not to mention severance payout decisions, pension decisions, as well as medicare planning. This process came quickly since I had a chance to grab a severance package and wasn't expecting to pull the plug for another year.

All that aside, I managed a trainer ride last night, a treadmill run at noon, and another indoor spin tonight. In with the personal trainer tomorrow morning. Its all about priorities, lol!
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited October 2022
    Options
    My Orkney dives were:

Sunday
    Dresden. 38m to the bottom. However, I was on 32% nitrox, so only went to 33m. 42 minutes; no deco.
    Karlsruhe. 25m; 43 minutes; no devo.

Monday.
    It was a Force 8 gusting 9, so we only got 1 dive. F2; 18m; 48 minutes.

Tuesday
    Coln, 34m, 41 minutes. 3 mins deco.
    Brummer, 33m, 40 minutes. 4 mins deco.

Wednesday
    Kronprinz William, one of the big battleships. 37m, 39 minutes and, oddly, no deco. We looked at the 12 inch guns, at the bottom, which were fired at the Battle of Jutland. We then went to top if the wreck for the rest of the dive. (My buddy was single tank which limited how long my dives could be. I was on twin 12 litre tanks, which were filled before every five, so I had loads of air.)

UB116, 30m, 41 minutes. Cracking dive. I picked up 7 minutes deco.

Random fishing ship, 22m, 31minutes.

Thursday
    Markgraf, another of the big battleships. Another great dive. 41m, 33m, 6 minutes deco.
    Tabarka, 15m, 33 minutes. Lovely dive with loads of life. You do a negative entry, swim inside the wreck for the dive as the current builds up. Then you pop your head out of the wreck at the end and have a very fast drift to end.

Friday
    Force 10 winds so we were blown out. I did a very damp 10 mile hike.

I went climbing on Sunday. I was out of form in a 2 hour session.

I went climbing on Tuesday. This was a bit better, also 2 hours. I got 2 new routes and quite a few session flashes.
  • nossmf
    Options
    No lifting today, cardio only, an hour on the elliptical doing hills. If it weren't for being able to watch Netflix movies at the same time, this workout would be uber-difficult for me to face at 5am.
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2022
    Options
    @Djproulx - congrats on retirement! I'm jealous! I have quite a few more years still (hopefully wind down in six or seven years).

Agree with Ann (and everyone) about habits. Engrained in me now. Wish I had those habits in my 20s and 30s but I didn't back then. Didn't start getting serious about my health until my early to mid 40s.

Today was the "Rugby Challenge". 1000m/3', 750m/2:30, 500m/2:00, 250m/2:00, finish with a 750m sprint. Last year, I blew up on the last one and averaged just over 2:00 pace (pace is what you average per 500m). This year, was more in control and finished with a 1:57.6. I'll have to go back and check, but I'm pretty sure this is my best time at this workout (I don't do it but once a year) since my back injury. 12:44 total time.

I've read an "elite" rugby player, whatever that means, I'm assuming semi-pro, is expected to finish at least in 11 minutes or under, so I'm a bit off of that pace! But even at my best, I would have struggled to get under 12:00 (I never started rowing until my late 40s when my right knee was already destroyed). 11:00 would make you quite the athlete, that's for sure, though some of the guys in my rowing club in their 40s (and a few in their 50s) can still row this in around 11 minutes. I'm happy with the improvement!
  • Djproulx
    Options
    @Djproulx - congrats on retirement! I'm jealous! I have quite a few more years still (hopefully wind down in six or seven years).

Agree with Ann (and everyone) about habits. Engrained in me now. Wish I had those habits in my 20s and 30s but I didn't back then. Didn't start getting serious about my health until my early to mid 40s.

Thanks, @Mike, It will take some getting used to, but I'm ready to move on.

Re: Habits, I was very active while in 20s and early 30's, but the combination of a growing family and the travel and social demands of a F500 sales job really took a toll on me. I didn't regain my fitness until in my fifties.

Now, it's so ingrained that I don't even worry at all if I flake out for a while.

If the rowing club failed, I might be in trouble - not sure - but short of that, random breaks aren't distressing, because I know I'll resume.

@Ann,

You describe what I refer to as the "motivation not needed" effect. Motivation comes and goes, but once you make a DECISION to be active for life, it doesn't matter. Habit formation makes your return to exercise automatic, whether after one day off or ten days. If the habit loop (craving, execution, reward) is strong enough, we don't even think about it. You'd miss your rowing reward, as I miss my running or cycling reward. This is no longer just what we do, its part of who we are.