What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    For the first time in months, I did a stationary bike ride, 10k easy pace, 3' CD (as if I needed a CD! 😆).

Tree cutters were here with a giant lift truck and chipper for part of the day. Between keeping an eye on them and pretending I was going to accomplish something around the house, I stuck around home, hence the îndoor activity - I needed something.

Also, tried a single overhand hang to stretch out (and see how long until it got uncomfortable - not long ;) , only about 50" 😆).
  • AnnPT77
    @Djproulx , congratulations on the retirement.

I've found it pretty great, but experienced an adjustment period that felt almost biochemical. It was weird. I think I was so used to fast paced changes of activity and high stress that it took a while to focus more calmly . . . but adapting to that change was very worthwhile.

I feel like some people I know experienced something similar, didn't give themselves time and patience, panicked and went back to work! If it takes some time to find the right new routine, that may just be part of the process.
    Djproulx wrote: »
    @Ann,

You describe what I refer to as the "motivation not needed" effect. Motivation comes and goes, but once you make a DECISION to be active for life, it doesn't matter. Habit formation makes your return to exercise automatic, whether after one day off or ten days. If the habit loop (craving, execution, reward) is strong enough, we don't even think about it. You'd miss your rowing reward, as I miss my running or cycling reward. This is no longer just what we do, its part of who we are.

Y'know, I think it happened for me at first even without a lot of decision or commitment: I stumbled into something I found so much fun that it was self-motivating.

I agree with the habit and craving part, for ongoing sustenance, though.

That "what we are vs. what we do" distinction fascinates me, has for a while. I think I am a rower, but I like to ride my bike (not a cyclist, IOW). There are other things like that in my life, and I see it in others, too. Only some things become part of my identity, and for me the distinction isn't how good I am at them. I'm not sure what tips the scale.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2022
    Went to the gym last night again (first time in 3 weeks -- did last two Thursday night lifts at home).

Didn't really feel like driving to the gym, but was nice once I got there and got it done. I am enjoying having access to heavier (standard) weights again. I have heavy dumbells and heavy KBs at home, but not heavy bench pressing capability or leg press capability.

Also finished up with the Stairmaster, which I enjoy. Around 33 floors in 10 minutes, skipping steps and doing some sidestepping work.

As a vanity thing, I'm regaining a lot of the shoulder definition I had back in my late 40s/early 50s when I first lost the weight and was regularly lifting heavy. Wasn't really positive, at 57 (58 in a few weeks) that I'd be able to regain that bulk/shape, but it's coming along nicely.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    As a vanity thing, I'm regaining a lot of the shoulder definition I had back in my late 40s/early 50s when I first lost the weight and was regularly lifting heavy. Wasn't really positive, at 57 (58 in a few weeks) that I'd be able to regain that bulk/shape, but it's coming along nicely.

So there's hope for the rest of us!
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2022
    mtaratoot wrote: »

So there's hope for the rest of us!

LOL, I didn't think there was any hope for me at my age. The bad thing (and I'm sure you know this) is at over 55/60, any muscle developed seems to fly off within weeks of inactivity. You can work years developing it and lose it quite quickly. I don't have access to a boat (or water for that matter, living where I do in AZ!). I was just getting back to the gym when Covid hit. For two years, I wasn't able to or wanting to lift anything over my head with my disc injury.

Hard getting muscle back but a lot of protein and consistency has gone a long way. My wife actually thinks I might need to lose some muscle. I'm 5' 10" and 204 currently and there's not a lot of fat. First time she's ever said that to me -- "maybe you should stop lifting so much...". She's concerned about the extra bulk weight on my aging body.
  • MikePfirrman
    Easy cardio day -- one hour. 30 on the treadmill, 15 on the LateralX and 15 on the Assault Bike. All around 60% to 65% max. Pretty much a recovery type of workout for me.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Easy cardio day -- one hour. 30 on the treadmill, 15 on the LateralX and 15 on the Assault Bike. All around 60% to 65% max. Pretty much a recovery type of workout for me.

Your recovery workout is a max effort for many folks I know. :)
  • AnnPT77
    About 9k rowing bow in the quad, quite a few power pieces interspersed. Chilly morning - higher intensity helps keep us warm.😆
  • Djproulx
    edited October 2022
    Nice outdoor ride yesterday. 36 hilly miles through classic New England fall scenery. Helped take my mind off the pain of climbing, lol. Followed it up with a 1.75 mile walk to earn extra gym challenge points.

Today I got my gym challenge work done early. Strength session, then a treadmill run. I'm seeing progress, however modest, in my run fitness. Today I moved from a 2:1 to a 3:1 run/walk protocol for 35 minutes. As long as I don't look at my old run times, I'm happy to be improving. The goal is NEXT year, not this one, so injury prevention is the real focus.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,100 Member
    Thursday: considering my back was still feeling iffy, a shorter strength training. Two sets each of DB bench press, DB shoulder press, assisted pull-ups, dip bar leg raises. And then 3 sets of bodyweight hyperextensions to give my back some gentle recovery.

Friday: work, work, work and then cooking dinner, so no exercise.

Today: I felt like pushing myself, considering my lack of mileage so far this week. I ended up doing a 19km run on the treadmill in 136min (not counting 2 short walking breaks). I was aiming for 20km but I was really struggling at the end. Still way better than my previous longest run (15.8km).

I have more stubbornness than common sense though apparently 🙄 about 10 minutes afterwards I started to feel nauseous and weak. Low blood sugar and/or lack of electrolytes I'm guessing. Definitely need to think about fueling myself during long runs, new territory for me. I turned the big 4-0 this week, too old for the recklessness of youth 😉
  • AnnPT77
    Canceled this morning's group row: Air temp barely above freezing, windy, uneven/unhelpful number planning to attend, and I didn't want to be responsible for sending anyone out in a single (safety).

Feeling unmotivated - it's practically a personality trait! - but I talked myself into another stationary bike ride. Still fairly moderate intensity, mostly Z3 and below with just a bit over 3' Z4 toward the end, but a little more push than last time, 100W average not counting the CD after the 10k.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,907 Member
    My wife actually thinks I might need to lose some muscle. I'm 5' 10" and 204 currently and there's not a lot of fat. First time she's ever said that to me -- "maybe you should stop lifting so much...". She's concerned about the extra bulk weight on my aging body.

My wife hounded me for years about not adding too much muscle, although her excuse wasn't to reduce stress on joints, but rather how she didn't find Arnold attractive. Had to repeat myself dozens of times how I didn't have the genetics, the drugs, the 10 hours per day to lift, nor the appetite to put away five thousand calories per day, so the chances of me ever actually looking like Arnold were between slim and none, lol.
  • nossmf
    Yesterday was my full body day:

Elliptical - 5km
    Deadlifts
    Hack Squat
    DB Press <superset> DB Row
    DB Front/Side/Rear Raise
    DB Curl/Extend

My wife always ribs me about enjoying the blazes out of my 3 hours in the gym on Saturday mornings, and I do, lol. (Though that time also includes long hot tub soak and shower.)
  • MikePfirrman
    edited October 2022
    Yesterday I skipped my workout. It's "bulk pickup" week this week in my neighborhood and we take advantage of that and trim some of the stuff behind our backyard fence. We have a lovely view lot with a nice 3 to 4 mile Arizona vista and then mountains in the distance. That's about all you can see when you look out from the deck -- except a few overgrown thorn bushes! So the wife wanted those bushes trimmed. These things are bushes from hell -- 3 to 4 inch thorns in them. I thought rose bushes were bad until I moved to Arizona. Took 3 hours to trim them enough down (don't want to destroy them -- the provide Quail cover from predators) to see the mountains unobstructed. Wife thinks it's like trimming a boxwood shrub. Hardly! The other issue is you really have to be careful not to disturb a rattler sleeping or chilling under the shrubs!

Today was a lift in the AM followed by a hard row. Repeated the row from last week -- 3 X 2K with 2 minutes rest. Improved by nearly a full second -- 2:07.9 average. Better, but still not great. Happy I don't seem to be losing rowing speed (what little I have!) with only doing two hard rows per week and the rest of my work on my other cardio equipment.

Had HRM issues again today. Was kind of amusing. Here I'm dying on the rower and it's telling me (it talks to you through the headset and interrupts the music) that my HR is in the 60s and I've "burned 4 calories so far".
  • Djproulx
    Another day of morning walk and stability work, then an afternoon bike ride.

Two of us started in NW Connecticut and looped into the Mass Berkshires. the foliage is moving to peak color in the next week or so, making it very pretty riding. The only downside was a brief rain shower during the big downhill descent, (-4% grade over 3.8 miles), causing us to back off the speed a bit. We touched the high 30's, which is exhilarating, but neither of us wanted to risk any higher speeds in today's conditions.
  • nossmf
    Leg Day Monday!

Squats 4x20
    BB Step Ups
    BB RDL
    BB Hip Thrust
    Seated Calf Raise
    Cable Crunches
    Planks
  • nossmf
    Pull Day Tuesday!

Pullups
    BB Rows
    BB Shrugs
    Machine Rows
    Preacher Curls
    DB Side Bends
    Side Planks
  • MikePfirrman
    Easy cardio work today. Had my Covid booster and flu shot yesterday late. Arm was sore and I've had past weird reactions, so just took it fairly easy.

Put the rower out on the deck (only like 80 today) and rowed for 20 minutes. Then went inside and did around another 20 more on the Assault Bike -- super easy on the bike. Dogs enjoyed getting out in this nice weather while I rowed.
  • Djproulx
    I'm increasing my days working with my trainer at the gym, since she told me today that I have 16 sessions "banked" from my summer break. This will help me in the gym challenge as well.
    Today's work was a bunch of various lunges done on unstable bases, plus some core stuff, including a new movement to me. It was a standing windmill like movement done while holding one end of a weighted bar while the other end was secured on a swivel base. Treadmill run in am, then walk in pm.

May swim or ride the bike tomorrow.
  • AnnPT77
    Few days of not a lot.

Sunday my club had a boat dedication to a founding member. He's an amazing guy, a mentor to many of us, and the closest thing to a Renaissance man I think I've known in real life (athlete, sculptor, art-furniture builder, distinguished academic with multiple degrees, gourmet cook, and more - including being a warm, generous, and decent human being).

Some time back, he taught me how to row his self-built Venetian style rowing boat - a sandolo, rowed like a gondola, but a smaller boat type. (Very challenging to row!) Sadly, he now has dementia in his 80s, but rose to the day, seeming to recognize many of us, and shared memories. His wife, son, and grandchildren seemed touched by the ceremony.

That was followed by an oar-painting afternoon, so I did more standing, low-key walking, and especially wet sanding than usual, after which we went out for pizza & beer. Took up much time, and rowing related, but not a workout.

Monday, no workout, but probably I had an elevated heart rate from the tree cutting project at my house. They dropped 5 giant maples & tulip poplars, literally shaking my house. Neighbors at least 2 houses away felt it.

Totally off topic:
    IMO, a job for pros. Even so, it was scary: A line of trees between my garage and neighbors' house, each several times taller than their house (or the space between trees & their house).
    bt2h7aabemty.jpg
    (That's my hand, which isn't petite.)
    tn9qvw3vkcvq.jpg
    tvp8h7fvtfax.jpg
    Today, rode my bike 2.8mi at 10.6mph to meet a friend, with whom I took a 4.25mi walk in total (two different places, his car between), then 2.8mi/12mph bike ride back home . . . where my trees guys are still working on cleaning up the first 5 trees, with 2 more yet to be cut.

Rain/major wind tomorrow, canceled the group row already, so either indoor workout or laziness - we'll see.