What Was Your Work Out Today?

Options

Replies

• BigMech
    BigMech Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Good workout this morning, felt much better than yesterday morning. Lower body, core and cardio.

Stretched

32 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 143/165
    26 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 135/152

37 minutes lifting weights

Wide Stance Leg Press: 15@210, 12@300, 10@390, 8@480, 6@570, 6@570, drop set: 6@570, 6@480, 6@390, 8@300, 10@210
    Crunches: 4*25
    Weight Side Bends, each side: 4*10@40lbs
    Dumbbell Romanian Deadlifts: 10@30, 10@40, 10@50, 8@60, drop set: 8@60, 10@30

Stretched

30 minutes of shoveling slush off of the drive way.

The snow shoveling was interesting after the heavy leg press. I definitely uses my legs to lift while shoveling.

• drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Wednesday
    Climbing, Not a bad session, not a great session. I got some really silly balance-y slabby stuff, which is always a bit terrifying. I also got a climb that needed decent flexibility (you needed high feet on the same holds as your hands at a few points.)

Thursday
    Lifting, doing:
    • Jump-rope warm up.
    • Bench, 3 sets of 5, 50 kgs
    • Front squat, 3 sets of 5, 60 kgs
    • Hangboarding

I've just got a decent outdoor pull-up bar; I have a vague plan of seeing if I can build up to a muscle-up. My indoor bars don't have enough room for it.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Treadmill, 25m steep incline
    Elliptical, 5km hills
    Walking dog, 30m level ground

Feeling better about taking a 3-month break from lifting after talking to a gym friend who shared with me how a few years back he was in a nurse's office for a routine shot, but the needle was misplaced and went into his joint rather than muscle, cost him 7 months lifting while he rehabbed.
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Fundamentally, it sounds like she thinks I'm stressing my rotator cuff because I'm not properly recruiting lower traps when I raise/move my arms, and because my posture is too shoulders-forward so compressing one side of the rotator cuff area.

A couple years back I thought I'd torn my arms out of their shoulder sockets from bench pressing too heavy, setting a new PR. I was lifting too heavy, but what the doc said really did me in was a common issue among male lifters who spend too much time pushing for a big chest and not enough time pulling: an imbalance in muscle between the front and rear of my shoulder. Time spent sitting in an office chair compounded the issue. I avoided surgery (barely) but had to do a couple months of rehab exercises, along with revamping the way I lifted: one, I never bench pressed that heavy again, and two, I started placing a priority on pulling, so ever since I now do 4 sets of pulls for every 3 sets of push. Worked, too, as I've never had shoulder issues since.

As far as my elbow goes, looking back at my workout log, I think that my lifestyle of regular lifting followed by all day typing at a computer set me up for failure (no rest for weary ligaments), and the straw which broke the camel's back was an extra-heavy deadlift day where I must not have properly locked out my elbow before pulling. I really enjoy deadlifts, would hate to give them up completely, but might have to limit myself to lighter weight/more reps in the future.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,056 Member
    Options
    nossmf wrote: »
    Fundamentally, it sounds like she thinks I'm stressing my rotator cuff because I'm not properly recruiting lower traps when I raise/move my arms, and because my posture is too shoulders-forward so compressing one side of the rotator cuff area.

A couple years back I thought I'd torn my arms out of their shoulder sockets from bench pressing too heavy, setting a new PR. I was lifting too heavy, but what the doc said really did me in was a common issue among male lifters who spend too much time pushing for a big chest and not enough time pulling: an imbalance in muscle between the front and rear of my shoulder. Time spent sitting in an office chair compounded the issue. I avoided surgery (barely) but had to do a couple months of rehab exercises, along with revamping the way I lifted: one, I never bench pressed that heavy again, and two, I started placing a priority on pulling, so ever since I now do 4 sets of pulls for every 3 sets of push. Worked, too, as I've never had shoulder issues since.

As far as my elbow goes, looking back at my workout log, I think that my lifestyle of regular lifting followed by all day typing at a computer set me up for failure (no rest for weary ligaments), and the straw which broke the camel's back was an extra-heavy deadlift day where I must not have properly locked out my elbow before pulling. I really enjoy deadlifts, would hate to give them up completely, but might have to limit myself to lighter weight/more reps in the future.

Thanks, @nossmf! I think I'm kind of opposite to you: I do way too much pulling, not enough pushing (though I do emphasize push in my brief seasons of Winter lifting). Rowing is all lower body push and upper body pull, low resistance but 800-1000 reps per hour, which adds up over decades. Oddly, the PT doesn't seem to think this is a major contributor to my current problems (problem in opposite side from what you'd expect from too much pull, I guess). Nonetheless, I do honestly need to work more on push, or I know I will have problems eventually. I don't want to give up rowing (boats): That would be crushing.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Just checking back in after a few weeks of doing no real exercise. During the holiday week, I had decided to give myself a few more weeks off, so I could get out duck and goose hunting with my dog.

I did that, but got injured in the process, since I had to drag a sled full of heavy gear back and forth over muddy ground, then load the gear into my truck multiple times almost every day for two weeks. I guess the exertion caused my hernia to act up and this stopped me cold. I'm waiting for ultrasound results today.

I was able to do an hour Zwift group ride on the trainer last night and will try to swim today, but no gym sessions, running, etc. If no surgery is required, I'll give this injury time to heal so it doesn't drag on. Until then, it will be yoga and a swim focus for me.

I'm so sorry to hear that @Djproulx! I'd noticed your absence here, but hoped it was just due to fun hunting plus general busyness around the holidays. I hope you get the best possible news from your ultrasound results, whatever that may be for you. It's obvious how much you enjoy your workouts and challenges, so I know this must be a hit. Best wishes for speedy improvement through whatever route is best!
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    Another 60' stationary bike at pretty easy pace (92W, overwhelmingly Z2 with a tiny bit of low Z3), 3' CD that was unnecessary but programmed in so I did it (82W) .

Two sets of 3 different PT exercises, 2 band-pulling things (shoulder extension, low shoulder row) plus lying-down scapular retraction.

3 sets of 20 of some upper body strength exercises that I think are safe to do right now (dumbbell bench press, shrugs, kickbacks), still with light weights; plus 3 sets of resistance band hamstring curls. Yeah, I know shrugs are a weird choice, but they seem to help with a scar tissue problem I have, so I like them.
  • BigMech
    Options
    Good workout this morning. Upper body, core and cardio.

Stretched

40 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max:
    32 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max:

42 minutes lifting weights

Barbell Bench Press: 12@135, 10@165, 7@185, drop set: 6@185, 6@165, 10@135
    Prone Grip Lat Pull-downs: 12@110, 10@140, 8@160, drop set: 7@160, 8@140, 10@140
    One-armed Landmine Overhead Press: 12@55, 10@75, 8@85, drop set: 6@85, 6@75, 10@55
    Rope Triceps Press-downs: 3*10@30lbs
    Crunches: 3*25
    Dumbbell Curls: 3*10@20lbs
    Kettlebell Side Swings, each side: 3*8@40lbs

Stretched
  • AnnPT77
    edited January 2023
    Options
    60' (92W) + 3' (92W :D ) easy stationary bike, mostly Z2. Physical therapy exercises.

@BigMech, I love my new stand fan. Perfect! I'll always get soggy with sweat, but I'm more comfortable, and no longer dripping on the electronics. Thank you for suggesting it!
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Yesterday did a repeat of the strength training that I did a couple of days ago. We'll see how two days apart sits in the body.

In the meantime, going to try a fix on the elliptical and see if I can get it to limp along for a little while longer while I shop for a new one.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,175 Member
    Options
    I upped my walk miles yesterday; a full 10K. It felt fine, but it might have been too far for my fastest recovery. It's really nice there's a large park so close that I can walk out my front door, walk down to the path, walk south to the City Limits through the park and another open space, and come back getting in about five miles or so. I added a couple loops through the cemetery and my neighborhood to round it up to 10K
  • BigMech
    Options
    60' (92W) + 3' (92W :D ) easy stationary bike, mostly Z2. Physical therapy exercises.

@BigMech, I love my new stand fan. Perfect! I'll always get soggy with sweat, but I'm more comfortable, and no longer dripping on the electronics. Thank you for suggesting it!

@AnnPT77 Glad to hear it's working for you!
  • BigMech
    Options
    Good workout this morning. Lower body, core and cardio.

Stretched

40 minutes on the spin bike, heart rate avg/max: 133/162
    31 minutes on the treadmill, heart rate avg/max: 135/151

38 minutes lifting weights

Body Weight Box Squats: 4*15
    Crunches: 4*15
    Narrow Stance Leg Press: 15@210, 5*12@300, 15@210
    Landmine Twists: 4*8@65
    Kettlebell RDL: 4*10@40

Stretched
  • swimmom_1
    swimmom_1 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    dralicephd wrote: »
    Yesterday did a repeat of the strength training that I did a couple of days ago. We'll see how two days apart sits in the body.

In the meantime, going to try a fix on the elliptical and see if I can get it to limp along for a little while longer while I shop for a new one.

I wasn't able to get a fix on my old elliptical but it did limp along (mine was the terrible screeching my ears had to put up with) while I was searching for a new one. New ones I priced at Dick's and other places ranged from $1000+ to almost $6000. And weren't anywhere near as good a quality as what I got for the gently used gym quality Precor. (Costs 9 K new. I got a great deal!) It has so much more versatility than my old Horizon. The different programmed settings Interval, Weight Loss, Versatile, Performance, Heart Rate and Manual are great. The ramp and tension changes automatically and no electricity, self generated. I definitely recommend the place I got it. Christen's Fitness Factory and they will ship anywhere. There is only 3 employees and the 1 is the owner.
    Best of luck on your hunt.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    Interval setting on my Elliptical 150 minutes for 10.05 miles. I love my new elliptical. No more screeching for my ears to put up with!
  • azoutte
    azoutte Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    5.5 mile walk. Not as impressive as most of what you did recently, but it was great to get outside in the sunshine.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    @swimmom_1

I hope you can find someone to get your nice tool fixed and running like a well oiled machine again.
  • swimmom_1
    Options
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @swimmom_1

I hope you can find someone to get your nice tool fixed and running like a well oiled machine again.

I think you meant this for @dralicephd . I just got my, new to me, elliptical the beginning of November.
  • mtaratoot
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    @swimmom_1

I think you meant this for @dralicephd . I just got my, new to me, elliptical the beginning of November.

Probably so. Sorry about that.
  • dralicephd
    dralicephd Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    swimmom_1 wrote: »
    dralicephd wrote: »

I wasn't able to get a fix on my old elliptical but it did limp along (mine was the terrible screeching my ears had to put up with) while I was searching for a new one. New ones I priced at Dick's and other places ranged from $1000+ to almost $6000. And weren't anywhere near as good a quality as what I got for the gently used gym quality Precor. (Costs 9 K new. I got a great deal!) It has so much more versatility than my old Horizon. The different programmed settings Interval, Weight Loss, Versatile, Performance, Heart Rate and Manual are great. The ramp and tension changes automatically and no electricity, self generated. I definitely recommend the place I got it. Christen's Fitness Factory and they will ship anywhere. There is only 3 employees and the 1 is the owner.
    Best of luck on your hunt.

Thanks! In mine, the flywheel seems ok (I hope), but one of the foot pedals has broken. The spring mechanism has been loose for awhile (it's floppier than it should be) and now the actual pedal plastic has cracked and broken. I've been searching for a replacement part, but the company has been out of business for awhile and this is an older model (2006). I hate the thought of getting a whole new machine over a stupid piece of plastic, so my husband has it on the vice with a bunch of epoxy. We'll see if it holds. We had a conversation about maybe using it as a template to make a plywood version if the glue doesn't hold. :D Anyway, it's just a matter of time before other parts begin to fail, so I'll be keeping my eyes on the used market. Unless the fix doesn't work... then I might just suck it up and buy a new one.