What Was Your Work Out Today?

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,970 Member
    edited June 2023
    Rowed bow in a double this morning, first time in a double this season. Usual distance, but not super intense because the stroke rower is a guy who started last year, was looking for some coaching as well a recreational row, so we stopped a couple of time to do drills, he rowed ultra-slowly along for small bits, and that sort of thing.

This evening was the first of our learn to row classes - two classes, M/W and Tu/Th, all through June. There are two coaches, and I'm like an assistant, I guess - a little minor coaching, answering questions, taking people who need extra help out in a double, carrying boats, whatever.

But not much vigor tonight for me, just a little light coaching on ergs and some oar-wrangling and such. The first session is always mostly on land, with a brief visit to the barge to get the class members familiar with how to put in the seats and oars, and get into the craft itself. (It's like rowing your living room, about the same size, shape, stability, performance characteristics - used for beginner training and parties.)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 8,907 Member
    Lower body power day in the weight room.

Deadlift 5x5
    BB Hip Thrust 3x5
    One-Leg Press 3x8
    Seated Leg Curl 3x8
    Calf Extension 4x12
    Cable Crunch 3x10
  • nossmf
    Got in a 30 min run this morning, in warmer weather than I'd like. (My ideal is running in 45 F but that's hard to come by in June in Arkansas :).

Back in my cross country days as a teenager, my all-time best 5k time came in the middle of a snow storm, where the ground was warm enough to instantly melt the downfall so no issues with traction, but the air cooled my body as fast as my exertions were heating it. Also rather peaceful running and not being able to see more than a couple hundred yards on any side, limiting the number of other runners I could see to only a handful.
  • nossmf
    drmwc wrote: »
    We meandered up and down a valley, where a friend had found what appears to be a new cave. It was very tight; he managed to wriggle through to link it up with another cave. It was too narrow for me, although I did get about 15 metres into the 30m squeeze.

I'm claustrophobic, and just listening to you describe it sent shivers down my spine.
  • nossmf
    So jealous right now...
  • cyndi2012
    cyndi2012 Posts: 65 Member
    There are some nice-looking adventures going on! Well done, everyone. I tweaked my knee playing softball about two weeks ago so am relegated to the spin bike for now!
  • laurachambers86
    laurachambers86 Posts: 152 Member
    Wow caving, canoeing, hiking, what amazing adventures!

Mine is less exciting today, cycled to a friend's (mile or so each way) to walk her dog first thing. No chance to get to the gym today or tomorrow due to work commitments.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    @mtaratoot - Wow, what great pictures! Looks like quite adventure.

@drmwc - I'm claustrophobic as well, so NO THANK YOU! I really admire your ability to block out fear/anxiety while climbing/caving/diving. I don't know if I could train myself to do that. Probably not.

Took an easy spin yesterday with my wife. She rode her eBike and I rode my hybrid for 12 miles on our local bike trail. i had a trainer led gym session today, plus a 20 minute treadmill romp just to keep the legs moving.

Maybe a swim tomorrow.
  • DiscusTank5
    DiscusTank5 Posts: 329 Member
    drmwc wrote: »
    Saturday I got stuck for a couple of minutes at the top of a climb where it turns into a squeeze to get into the Northen Lights.,but I eventually twisted the right way.
    We spent a few hours wandering up and down the valley after this going into small caves.

@drmwc, this story is amazing and also the stuff of my nightmares, you realize!?! That picture of your feet disappearing into a gopher hole was something else.

I biked first thing this morning, so it was still cool out. A 20 min. loop around my house, then back to get my autistic son ready for the bus (summer school), followed by a 10 min. ride to my local coffee shop, reading for a bit, then another 20 minutes or so on a meandering ride back home to take my daughter to swim practice.
  • DiscusTank5
    Wow caving, canoeing, hiking, what amazing adventures!

Mine is less exciting today, cycled to a friend's (mile or so each way) to walk her dog first thing. No chance to get to the gym today or tomorrow due to work commitments.

@laurachambers86, my workout today was a lot like yours. No caving over here!
  • DiscusTank5
    edited June 2023
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Mine have been "non-traditional" as far as what most would call "work-outs." But I'm having fun!
    Last week I went paddling two days (Sunday and Thursday). It was about 18 miles each day. The second day launched from where the first day ended. I didn't really get any pictures, and that's OK.
    Yesterday I hiked up a local peak that's the highest in the coast range. I hadn't been up this year. Hiked a bit more than seven miles through beautiful forest and saw a bunch of wildflowers. There were different flowers blooming along the way to the top. It was really windy up there, but I stayed a while as it was one of those rare days you can see the beach and even the waves crashing in (and the bridge over the bay) and also the Cascade volcanoes to the east. Usually you can see one or the other; sometimes neither. Every now and then, you can see both. Nice day.

@mtaratoot, thanks for sharing your adventures. Those pictures were gorgeous. Where is this, if you don't mind my asking? It is hard to believe anyone would want to move away from so much natural beauty, even for Australia. I'd love to see volcano pictures if you have some.

*Update* I did a quick Google search and realized you are in the Pacific NW. Lucky!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,970 Member
    Complicated schedule day, so not much activity: Just a walk while my car was getting repaired, 4.27 miles at a casual 3.1 mph pace. Later, helped with learn-to-row class again, only slightly more physical than last night, so pretty negligible.

• mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,129 Member
    edited June 2023
    mtaratoot wrote: »
    Mine have been "non-traditional" as far as what most would call "work-outs." But I'm having fun!
    Last week I went paddling two days (Sunday and Thursday). It was about 18 miles each day. The second day launched from where the first day ended. I didn't really get any pictures, and that's OK.
    Yesterday I hiked up a local peak that's the highest in the coast range. I hadn't been up this year. Hiked a bit more than seven miles through beautiful forest and saw a bunch of wildflowers. There were different flowers blooming along the way to the top. It was really windy up there, but I stayed a while as it was one of those rare days you can see the beach and even the waves crashing in (and the bridge over the bay) and also the Cascade volcanoes to the east. Usually you can see one or the other; sometimes neither. Every now and then, you can see both. Nice day.

@mtaratoot, thanks for sharing your adventures. Those pictures were gorgeous. Where is this, if you don't mind my asking? It is hard to believe anyone would want to move away from so much natural beauty, even for Australia. I'd love to see volcano pictures if you have some.

*Update* I did a quick Google search and realized you are in the Pacific NW. Lucky!

The pictures were from Tillicum Beach campground, Siltcoos Canoe Trail, Sweet Creek, and Marys Peak.

On our trip today we saw only eight Bald Eagles. One was a juvenile; the rest were adults. We also saw a very rare thing; a small flock of Pelicans. They are not uncommon east of the Cascades, like on the Snake River, but we don't see them here. Well, we saw them today. Pretty kitten awesome.
  • DiscusTank5
    A 30 minute pool swim today, first thing. I slept badly--that seems to affect my swim more than my bike or run.
  • nossmf
    Hour on the elliptical, hills.

Must've slept wrong, because I woke with a stitch in my side along my ribs which flared every time I tried to inhale deeply. Made the middle part of my elliptical session pretty uncomfortable, as that's when the hills are at their steepest/hardest resistance. But my final numbers for distance and calorie burn were consistent with previous sessions, so it didn't seem to affect performance, only comfort.
  • DiscusTank5
    Djproulx wrote: »
    The wildfire smoke from Canada is affecting the Northeast US in a significant way.
    Friends who are already at the New Jersey race venue advised that today's air quality reading of 166 is at an "orange alert" level. If the level gets to red, the race will be cancelled. I'm hoping that the smoke impact will lessen by Saturday. Race is Sunday. Fingers crossed.

@Djproulx, I'm sorry to hear that! Hope the wildfires die out and the race goes on.