How do you eat your salads?

Options
124»

Replies

• smcurtis1981
    smcurtis1981 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I like soy sauce on my salad, bit weird but it's the saltiness I'm into.
    I also LOVE Kewpie mayonnaise (Japanese) but it's very calorie heavy so it's only a special treat.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    I love a good Persian cucumber salad. I chop cucumber, some tomato, onion, parsley, and add salt, pepper, lemon juice, and olive oil. Delicious and healthy.
  • bisonpitcher
    bisonpitcher Posts: 519 Member
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I like French dressing, but most of it is so high calorie. I found a really good low cal fat free French dressing from Kraft. Its 45 calories for 2 tbsp. I usually have that with a basic garden salad that comes in a bag. If I want to add some protein, I will throw some hard boiled egg and sometimes some turkey pepperoni on it. Mrs. Dash extra spicy seasoning and cracked black pepper to give it some spice.
  • Love_2_Hike
    Love_2_Hike Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Home made Mayo
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It depends on the salad. Some salads do well with little to no dressing, others are just not the same without the original dressing. I don't do "light" dressing if it's a creamy type dressing, I just use less of it but not so little that it's not the same salad anymore. Basically, my approach with salad is: eat it the way you like it, if that means higher calories, eat less of it. I feel like I'm wasting calories if I'm not enjoying my food, even if it's just a few calories.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    With small amounts of regular dressing? With "light" dressing? With a vinaigrette of some kind? With no dressing at all?

Help, please. Need salad inspiration.

I like Newman's Own light balsamic vinaigrette. I also like Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressings for a lower calorie creamy option.
    I do sometimes use regular ranch but less than I used to.
    I often put my salad on the food scale while I add dressing to not add too much.

Adding strongly flavored things like onion or dried cranberries to a salad can make it more interesting with less dressing. Salt, pepper, salsa or herbs are other low calorie options.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10270725/things-to-go-in-salads/p1
  • allarounddice
    allarounddice Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I like mine witch just a couple of table spoons of olive, then add salt and pepper with a squeeze of a lemon wedge.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Water melon and feta cheese is good together.
    Or I like to add some halloumi

Watermelon+tomatoes+feta is weirdly delicious. Not in season now, sadly, and I think that's essential for raw tomatoes and watermelon, but amazing when it is.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I'm mostly a vinaigrette fan, and agree with those who recommended making your own and experimenting with recipes.
  • Safari_Gal
    Safari_Gal Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    With small amounts of regular dressing? With "light" dressing? With a vinaigrette of some kind? With no dressing at all?

Help, please. Need salad inspiration.

I use extra virgin olive oil and vinegar- I add in a bit of French sea salt and some 🌿 herbs.
    Basil blend if I’m eating tomatoes, herbs de Provence tastes great on a romaine mix or anything with a mesclun base. :)

• Kupla71
    Kupla71 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I don’t like preparing salads so don’t eat them often but a quick one I like is a Caesar salad with light Caesar dressing. Throw a couple of croutons on there with a little Parmesan and you’ve got an easy tasty way to get your leafy greens in.
  • lalabank
    lalabank Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I use a good portion of my daily calories on home made ranch or blue cheese, full fat no sugar! Or Ken’s Italian. Or I smother it in guacamole and hot sauce. Oh or feta and olives and sour cream.
    There are so many salads to choose from! I add meat and cheese to every thing. Greens are the base of just about every dinner!