Has anybody lost weight by just setting one goal: eating less calories then you burn?

Options
2»

Replies

• AmyC2288
    AmyC2288 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    AmyC2288 wrote: »
    Caralarma wrote: »
    The only thing I don't agree with is the forcing food part. It is fine to eat a little bit less sometimes

I agree with you! I often see people on these forums talking about forcing themselves to eat more if they are under their goal and I dont get it. I mean yes you should aim for your calorie goal but if you happen to be under it, why not see that as a bonus? I do it all the time and it also allows me to eat more on other days where I do happen to be hungrier

I agree with this- the annoying part though is that MFP won't let you log a day that they consider is "too low" and then it won't count towards my overall weekly totals (which is how I track). Is there a way around this?

it logs it, it just doesn't do a notification on your feed.

Yay! Didn't realize this- Thanks!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Has anybody lost weight by just setting one goal: eating less calories then you burn?

Isn't that the essence of everyone's approach?

But most people don't realize that. They think hitting their macros, eating clean, avoiding junk, etc etc is an essential part of the plan. I took the OP to be another, "can you really eat whatever you want or do you have to do a specific diet" post.

OP, I started just counting calories while trying to eat a generally balanced diet, but I didn't cut out anything. Over time I found that I was often low on protein and fiber, and on those days I was obviously hungrier. So I started watching calories, protein, and fiber. Because I'm fairly small and didn't have much weight to lose, I aimed for a 250 cal deficit but often ended up more like a 150 cal deficit, so I lost around 1-2 lbs per month. Super slow but I'm naturally patient and it meant I didn't have to eat a "diet" that I would ditch when I got to goal weight.

If you become more comfortable and confident, you may be able to get to a point where you can aim for another 100 cals lower and not worry about days of not eating enough to stay consistent. But if you've found a plan that keeps you in control and you can stick with it for the long haul, that's awesome. Good luck!
  • krich0502
    krich0502 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    krich0502 wrote: »
    When I stopped drinking soda only, I lost about 15lbs, and I hadn’t made any other changes to my diet. I wasn’t even counting calories back then.

That was a big part of when I lost weight in my 20s. The look how many calories I’m consuming with soda and iced tea. I also stopped eating fast food and brought lunch.

It came back over the time but I had to really log and hop on the stationary bike because I can’t move around at work.

I shudder to think how worse I be if I still drank full cal soda and Snapple all the time.

Right, it’s shocking how much that drink can add. Water please ☺️