How to stay consistent when trying to lose weight?

2»

Replies

• Sparkle097
    Sparkle097 Posts: 83 Member
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If I recall correctly from other threads, you were eating at a fairly low calorie level, probably targeting a weight loss rate faster than 0.5lbs (0.25Kg approximately) per week. (Fast loss would be inappropriate and unhealthy with so little weight to lose.)

I also understand from this and your several other threads (that all cover this same general topic, from only slightly different perspectives), that you're not having major trouble sticking with that probably-too-low calorie goal most of the time. If I recall correctly, there's usually one day a week when your family (or whoever) shows up, bring sweet treats that you "can't resist".

Four things:

1. Set your calorie goal to lose only 0.25kg per week, and log/add a reasonable percentage of your exercise calories on top of that.

2. On a daily basis, that 5-6 days per week, eat the number of calories you've been eating when you had too aggressive a goal. That will give you calories left over each day. Don't eat those daily. Bank them, like a calorie savings account, for later.

3. When your family shows up with treats, take those calories you've had left over, add up the ones left over on days since your last treat-fest, and use that as your maximum calorie allowance for the treats. Eat that many treat calories, then stop. It will probably help if you eat a treat, savoring it, wait awhile, think whether you'd like more and have more calories available to cover it, then eat more if your calorie budget allows, spacing out the treats over the period of time they're there, savoring each, then waiting a while. It would be extra nice if you can leave a few calories in your savings account for the next round (not toooo many), just as an exercise in self-management.

4. Stop saying "I can't resist" or "can't control my mind" or whatever. Don't even say it inside your own head. Your choices about your own self-definition are very powerful. Stop thinking of yourself as someone who "can't". Start thinking of yourself as someone who enjoys treats, but knows how to enjoy them sensibly, and in a way that will support both short-term happiness and long-term health. Or, think of yourself as someone who's had difficulty moderating treats in the past, but who is working at changing that, and is going to keep working until you succeed.

You're making a choice here, and saying "you can't" make a different one. You can; you simply haven't chosen to. You have a choice. Don't take away the power you have over your own behavior by self-defining in a powerless way. And stop making post after post about this perceived powerlessness, and take some responsibility for doing something about it. You'll be a better woman for it.

Signed,

Mean Granny ;)

Thank u for this. But I dnt understand point 2 and 3? Wat do u mean?
  • kikjarman
    kikjarman Posts: 1 Member
    I plan my day in advance ..put in my normal breakfast,lunch & dinner .. then I start on the indulgent bits rangeing from:
    Proper corn sea salt 10g bag - 42 cals
    Options hot chocolate - 39 cals (takes that edge off)
    Warbatons fruit loaf - 87 cals a slice
    10 Cal jelly - which only works out at 4 cals

That way I know I can have them but I will try not to have them...that satisfaction of them deleting them from the log and seeing saved calories is another boost that today you did well!! It’s all mind tricks!!
    Good luck
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,031 Member
    sathmif465 wrote: »
    If I recall correctly from other threads, you were eating at a fairly low calorie level, probably targeting a weight loss rate faster than 0.5lbs (0.25Kg approximately) per week. (Fast loss would be inappropriate and unhealthy with so little weight to lose.)

I also understand from this and your several other threads (that all cover this same general topic, from only slightly different perspectives), that you're not having major trouble sticking with that probably-too-low calorie goal most of the time. If I recall correctly, there's usually one day a week when your family (or whoever) shows up, bring sweet treats that you "can't resist".

Four things:

1. Set your calorie goal to lose only 0.25kg per week, and log/add a reasonable percentage of your exercise calories on top of that.

2. On a daily basis, that 5-6 days per week, eat the number of calories you've been eating when you had too aggressive a goal. That will give you calories left over each day. Don't eat those daily. Bank them, like a calorie savings account, for later.

3. When your family shows up with treats, take those calories you've had left over, add up the ones left over on days since your last treat-fest, and use that as your maximum calorie allowance for the treats. Eat that many treat calories, then stop. It will probably help if you eat a treat, savoring it, wait awhile, think whether you'd like more and have more calories available to cover it, then eat more if your calorie budget allows, spacing out the treats over the period of time they're there, savoring each, then waiting a while. It would be extra nice if you can leave a few calories in your savings account for the next round (not toooo many), just as an exercise in self-management.

4. Stop saying "I can't resist" or "can't control my mind" or whatever. Don't even say it inside your own head. Your choices about your own self-definition are very powerful. Stop thinking of yourself as someone who "can't". Start thinking of yourself as someone who enjoys treats, but knows how to enjoy them sensibly, and in a way that will support both short-term happiness and long-term health. Or, think of yourself as someone who's had difficulty moderating treats in the past, but who is working at changing that, and is going to keep working until you succeed.

You're making a choice here, and saying "you can't" make a different one. You can; you simply haven't chosen to. You have a choice. Don't take away the power you have over your own behavior by self-defining in a powerless way. And stop making post after post about this perceived powerlessness, and take some responsibility for doing something about it. You'll be a better woman for it.

Signed,

Mean Granny ;)

If you've been trying to eat 1200 calories daily to lose a pound a week (not the real number, since I don't know your stats), try to average 1450 daily instead to lose half a pound a week. Achieve that by (for example) eating 1200 6 days a week, and 2950 one day a week.

In that example, (7 x 1450) = ((6 x 1200) + 2950) so either will result in the same weight loss over time. (The peak day will temporarily increase scale weight because of the extra food, but that's just water weight and temporary digestive contents, not fat gain, so nothing to worry about.)

Like I said, do the arithmetic to get your own actual numbers; that's just an example for illustration.
  • Sparkle097
    Sparkle097 Posts: 83 Member
    sathmif465 wrote: »

Four things:

Signed,

Mean Granny ;)

If you've been trying to eat 1200 calories daily to lose a pound a week (not the real number, since I don't know your stats), try to average 1450 daily instead to lose half a pound a week. Achieve that by (for example) eating 1200 6 days a week, and 2950 one day a week.

In that example, (7 x 1450) = ((6 x 1200) + 2950) so either will result in the same weight loss over time. (The peak day will temporarily increase scale weight because of the extra food, but that's just water weight and temporary digestive contents, not fat gain, so nothing to worry about.)

Like I said, do the arithmetic to get your own actual numbers; that's just an example for illustration.

Thank u, I’ll try this