What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Options

Replies

• PAPYRUS3
    PAPYRUS3 Posts: 13,259 Member
    Options
    Soup: I don't trust it. Especially from restaurants

Omg yes agree. After years of working for panera and other restaurants.... it just really turns me off. Same with salsa bars at places like Moe's.

I also don't trust stuff like this. Also, I wouldn't trust the freshness of p/u and go packaged items from cafe's or supermarkets (made by them). They are usually packaged not from freshly made product, but from old stuff and then a new date is put on them the day they are packaged. Individually portioned 'to go' cakes, etc., are doctored up with some fresh fruit or decoration to hid the dried out/discolored appearance of an item too.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I love stews and soups. I've been making them just about every day lately.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    edited December 2020
    Options
    There are 2 Starbucks near me. Have been to both of them a few times over the years. Absolutely hated it! Wouldn’t try other coffee or tea places, cause they’re all just overpriced crap! Went to a Starbucks about 10 miles away one day cause I was curious about their sous vide eggs. Oh my gosh! They can have my money any day! It was so, so, so good. Have been back several times for coffee.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,591 Member
    Options
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

Omg yes agree. After years of working for panera and other restaurants.... it just really turns me off. Same with salsa bars at places like Moe's.

I also don't trust stuff like this. Also, I wouldn't trust the freshness of p/u and go packaged items from cafe's or supermarkets (made by them). They are usually packaged not from freshly made product, but from old stuff and then a new date is put on them the day they are packaged. Individually portioned 'to go' cakes, etc., are doctored up with some fresh fruit or decoration to hid the dried out/discolored appearance of an item too.

I frequently (well, I TRY not to frequently) buy the individual to go cakes. At least the the not so portioned controlled individual slices and they're always perfectly fine.

Which reminds me. I have to go be pathetic in the birthday food thread. 😀
  • pancakerunner
    pancakerunner Posts: 6,137 Member
    Options

I know COVID iis changing a lot of salad bar type restaurants
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    A good salad does NOT need salad dressing.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    A good salad does NOT need salad dressing.

Truth
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,055 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand people saying they don't "trust" soup from restaurants.
    You trust them to make your other food, though?
    Frankly, if I didn't have faith that a restaurant could safely serve soup, I don't think I'd eat there at all.

Won't speak for others, but I don't trust restaurant soup (in most restaurants) because I don't trust them to actually know and actually tell me whether it has chicken broth or something in it. For a person who's been veg long enough, even some of that kind of thing in soup has the potential to cause a touch of digestive distress (gut microbe adaptation issue), and I don't need that. I don't freak out for emotional reasons over accidental meat, but I like to feel nice after eating, y'know. I assume some of the same idea could apply to folks with food allergies.

I do think some of the chains put kind of weird stuff in soups, or used to. One regional chain here used to package their soups frozen, for sale in grocery stores. Had stuff like non-dairy creamer in it. Tasted like it, too. 😬
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    I don't really understand people saying they don't "trust" soup from restaurants.
    You trust them to make your other food, though?
    Frankly, if I didn't have faith that a restaurant could safely serve soup, I don't think I'd eat there at all.

Won't speak for others, but I don't trust restaurant soup (in most restaurants) because I don't trust them to actually know and actually tell me whether it has chicken broth or something in it. For a person who's been veg long enough, even some of that kind of thing in soup has the potential to cause a touch of digestive distress (gut microbe adaptation issue), and I don't need that. I don't freak out for emotional reasons over accidental meat, but I like to feel nice after eating, y'know. I assume some of the same idea could apply to folks with food allergies.

I do think some of the chains put kind of weird stuff in soups, or used to. One regional chain here used to package their soups frozen, for sale in grocery stores. Had stuff like non-dairy creamer in it. Tasted like it, too. 😬

I definitely understand that in regards to food preference or allergy issues. I would HOPE that restaurant staff would be able to tell you specific ingredients, as they should with any dish on their menu.

It seemed to me that the people who were not "trusting" restaurant soup were afraid it was used with old ingredients and left to sit for too long. I'm all for anything that safely reduces the vast amount of food waste that happens in the restaurant industry, so if they throw some of their "less than perfect" produce into a soup, I'm good with that, assuming it is not off/rotten. It's not in a restaurant's interest to make their customers sick.

Personally what turns me off is seeing how the soup was handled at panera. When I was working at panera, we would save leftover soup that was sitting out all day long and pour it back into a brand new bag, then if that new bag was left at the end of the next day, we'd pour it back into the bigger bag again. So it was mixed with many day old soup. Especially gross for the seafood things.

Same with the salsa. We would save leftover salsa from the salsa bar and put it back into a big jug of salsa again and again.

I don't think there was actually any health concerns because the stuff was eaten within a few weeks, but just seeing how it is done and knowing it wasn't fresh turned me off.
  • elmusho1989
    elmusho1989 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I don't like purple foods, looking at them makes me feel sick
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    I honestly do not trust almost ANY restaurant food at all. I would much rather eat at home. My only exception is steamed veggies from most Chinese restaurants
  • skelterhelter
    skelterhelter Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    Perhaps an unpopular opinion: soup is not a meal to me, unless I'm sick and chicken noodle is all I can stomach. Soup always has to be an accompaniment to either a sandwich, buttered roll, or the first course to an entree.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    I honestly do not trust almost ANY restaurant food at all. I would much rather eat at home. My only exception is steamed veggies from most Chinese restaurants

For the most part, I trust restaurant food in regards to health conditions... sanitary, etc. But not the calories or ingredients by any means.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I've developed an aversion to yogurt. Not sure what happened, used to be a staple food to me. It just kind of makes me ill even thinking about it now.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    senalay788 wrote: »
    Perhaps an unpopular opinion: soup is not a meal to me, unless I'm sick and chicken noodle is all I can stomach. Soup always has to be an accompaniment to either a sandwich, buttered roll, or the first course to an entree.

Not all soup is created equal. Soup can be very filling as a main dinner dish, or as filling as drinking a glass of water. It all depends what you make.

Agreed, I've had some pretty hearty soups and I've also had broth masquerading as soup.
  • pancakerunner
    Options
    I've developed an aversion to yogurt. Not sure what happened, used to be a staple food to me. It just kind of makes me ill even thinking about it now.

I like really good quality yogurt... but cheap, flavored and watered down versions are a big pass