Calorie Counter

Message Boards Food and Nutrition
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What are some of your unpopular opinions about food?

Replies

• lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member, Premium Posts: 6,502 Member Member, Premium Posts: 6,502 Member
    I can agree with that.
  • Bluetail6Bluetail6 Member, Premium Posts: 1,577 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,577 Member
    Freeze-dried durian is horrible, imho.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 18,171 Member Member, Premium Posts: 18,171 Member
    flroezne9xgi.png
    ^^^ this is the hot sauce i put on my stuff

Um, why does the "hot" sauce say "mild" about eleventy-seven times all over it? 😉😆

(Just joking around, no serious criticism intended - I have no doubt it's tasty. 🙂 Me, I like good things across the whole gamut of the tomato-condiment range, from catsup all the way to "ouch" in Asian, Mexican, Indian, Jamaican, NOLA and other variants.)
  • VegjoyPVegjoyP Member Posts: 1,282 Member Member Posts: 1,282 Member
    Do not like white chocolate
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member, Premium Posts: 5,334 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5,334 Member
    okay, not really an unpopular opinion but more just an annoyance... I feel like there are WAY too many "healthy" baking mixes on the market now.
  • pancakerunnerpancakerunner Member, Premium Posts: 5,334 Member Member, Premium Posts: 5,334 Member
    I like steak sauce (A1, heinz 57, etc.) just not on steak! haha
  • PAPYRUS3PAPYRUS3 Member Posts: 8,492 Member Member Posts: 8,492 Member
    okay, not really an unpopular opinion but more just an annoyance... I feel like there are WAY too many "healthy" baking mixes on the market now.

That goes for so many things out there that keep coming out...stating that they are "healthy"...and most of them just SOOO are not! (annoying for sure!)
    PAPYRUS3 wrote: »

That goes for so many things out there that keep coming out...stating that they are "healthy"...and most of them just SOOO are not! (annoying for sure!)

just what we need is another "grain free" pancake mix
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member, Premium Posts: 6,502 Member Member, Premium Posts: 6,502 Member
    I do like Bob's Red Mill 10 grain pancake mix. I used to make it with 2 eggs (instead of the recommended 1 egg plus oil) or just do a half serving with one egg, and then top it with microwaved frozen berries, and it was good if one wanted a low cal pancake fix. It's not super healthy (and it doesn't claim to be), but it fits my macros/cals better than classic pancakes would.
    edited January 22
    I love new products for sure - but it's when they state and plaster to consumers that theirs are SOO healthy, etc., etc., but when you look at the ingredients, it's not accurate to their claims!
  • frankwbrownfrankwbrown Member, Premium Posts: 758 Member Member, Premium Posts: 758 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I do like Bob's Red Mill 10 grain pancake mix. I used to make it with 2 eggs (instead of the recommended 1 egg plus oil) or just do a half serving with one egg, and then top it with microwaved frozen berries, and it was good if one wanted a low cal pancake fix. It's not super healthy (and it doesn't claim to be), but it fits my macros/cals better than classic pancakes would.
    I like Bob's Red Mill -- I've had their 13 bean soup mix and vegetable soup mix. I haven't had that pancake mix, but I did try Kodiac Cakes "Power Cakes". I'll give that 10 grain mix a try.
    I love new products for sure - but it's when they state and plaster to consumers that theirs are SOO healthy, etc., etc., but when you look at the ingredients, it's not accurate to their claims!
    I know, and everything is "new and improved". Makes me wanna ask, "What was wrong with it before?" :D
    Yeah, I've liked a number of Bob's Red Mill products, including that 13 bean soup.
  • corinasue1143corinasue1143 Member Posts: 4,682 Member Member Posts: 4,682 Member

I just read the label on a protein shake mix. It had 21 grams of protein and 565 calories. Whaaaaat?

edited January 22

I just read the label on a protein shake mix. It had 21 grams of protein and 545 calories. Whaaaaat?

😐 holy!
    One of my dorm friends in college was a rugby player who was always trying to put on mass, and he consumed some kind of protein powder shake (Joe Wieder brand, I think) that was intended to be high cal to help with muscle building. I just looked at something similar, called Mega Mass, and even it is only 400 cal and 26 g protein. But if a protein shake is that high cal, I wonder what the purpose of it is -- could be for hard gainers.
  • frankwbrownfrankwbrown Member, Premium Posts: 758 Member Member, Premium Posts: 758 Member
    Just imagine if one's difficulty was in trying to gain weight! :D
    (I had a college roommate like that, he's still a string bean)
    edited January 22
    Do people still order Frappuccino’s?
    Do people still order Frappuccino’s?
    I do, espresso or mocha, but not as often as I used to, and when I do, I say "no whip cream"... sometimes even "nonfat".
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 18,171 Member Member, Premium Posts: 18,171 Member
    Curry powder is highly questionable. Some brands are good, others pretty terrible.

Any general spice blend (Italian Blend or Pumpkin Pie Spice or whatever) can range in quality/tastiness across brands, either because of the quality/freshness of individual ingredients, or the particular ingredients/proporions used in a given brand, but to me curry powder seems especially likely to have a huge range in practice.

Mostly, I'd rather use the separate spices or herbs, though I have found a brand of chili powder I like.

As a somewhat related, but possibly unpopular opinion: I don't personally care to keep things like brownie mix, cake mix, muffin mix, etc. around. It seems so much more straightforward to keep the ingredients on hand (flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, cocoa, etc.) and make whatever I want at the time, rather than needing the specific box of stuff. The steps aren't hugely more time-consuming to make most things from scratch, either, IMO.

It seems evident, from looking at the grocery aisles, that a big segment of the population must disagree with this.
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    As a somewhat related, but possibly unpopular opinion: I don't personally care to keep things like brownie mix, cake mix, muffin mix, etc. around. It seems so much more straightforward to keep the ingredients on hand (flour, sugar, eggs, baking powder, cocoa, etc.) and make whatever I want at the time, rather than needing the specific box of stuff. The steps aren't hugely more time-consuming to make most things from scratch, either, IMO.

It seems evident, from looking at the grocery aisles, that a big segment of the population must disagree with this.
    You're right, it appears to be an unpopular opinion, but I share it.
    I haven't lately, but I used to enjoy making cakes (and icings) from scratch. You haven't had a good cake until you've had one with the egg whites whipped separately and folded in. :D