Two part question :)

Part 1:
Over the past month or so I have been have abdominal pain along with gassiness and bloating so I looked up what these symptoms could be caused by and one thing multiple people and websites said is that is could be caused from too much fiber. When I looked at my nutrition on MFP, I saw that I was having double to triple the recommended amount of fiber (I was having between 45-60g). I also drink enough water (around 64oz) so I decided to lower my fiber amount. I have been . trying to and have been a little successful but still having around 45g each day. I eat 6 meals (3 snacks and 3 actual meals because that is what I need) and I would say 4-5 (depending on the day) of those meals have whole grains (like whole grain cereal, sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, whole grain bread or crackers, etc). I also have 2-3 servings of fruit along with vegetables. All these foods have a good amount of fiber in them and can add up. I also found out that some other foods like the fruit bars, protein bars, even my whole milk yogurt has fiber in it, not a lot but again, it adds up. So how would you recommend getting less fiber? I've been thinking replacing some of my whole grains with white grains (like white rice or white bread) because those don't have as much fiber but everywhere I look it says "eat whole grains over refined grains" so it's making me hesistant. If I am still having a well-balanced diet with getting enough fiber along with vitamins and minerals from some whole grains, fruits and veggies can't I also include some non whole grains while still nourishing my body? I would keep my diet relatively the same except replacing some of my whole grains with white grains so I don't have to deal with my stomach issues from having a lot of fiber...
I am just trying to find a healthy way of eating that works for me, not trying to lose weight or gain or anything, and I want to nourish my body.

Part 1:
Also, i've heard that sugar is not good for your skin, are they talking about natural sugars (like from fruit and veggies) or just added sugar?

p.s sorry for the long message <3

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    1) How much protein and fat are you getting? Are you having regular bowel movements?

2) I have no idea how sugar would affect the skin, I've used sugar scrubs to exfoliate, but consumption? Never heard of this before, and I would want to see some evidence to support it.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Part 1: too much fiber isn’t the problem, there’s something in there that’s causing the bloat. Try no dairy for a few weeks and/or wheat (gluten) which are the two most likely culprits.

You might also want to consider having fewer, larger meals to give your body time to digest. With six meals, you must be pretty much constantly eating.

Part 2: no clue. Dairy effects my skin, but not sugar.
  • linahoman13
    linahoman13 Posts: 9 Member
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    1) How much protein and fat are you getting? Are you having regular bowel movements?

2) I have no idea how sugar would affect the skin, I've used sugar scrubs to exfoliate, but consumption? Never heard of this before, and I would want to see some evidence to support it.

I am not having regular bowel movements which also makes me think that maybe I'm having too much fiber... I know that having too little can cause constipation but also having too much.

For protein I am having between 130-140g per day, depending on the day (that is also over the amount recommended by MFP, but not by a lot :) as for fat, i am usually having between 70 and 80g, which is the recommended amount.
  • nutmegoreo

I am not having regular bowel movements which also makes me think that maybe I'm having too much fiber... I know that having too little can cause constipation but also having too much.

For protein I am having between 130-140g per day, depending on the day (that is also over the amount recommended by MFP, but not by a lot :) as for fat, i am usually having between 70 and 80g, which is the recommended amount.

Thank you for this. I was concerned you were sacrificing proteins and fats for carbs.

Is this higher fibre amount newer to you? Or have you been eating this way for a while? Any other dietary changes?
  • linahoman13
    Cahgetsfit wrote: »
    1) some stuff makes you bloat. For example, if I look at broccoli, I become 5 months pregnant instantly. Could be that something in your diet makes you gassy? Try to pay attention to when you start to gas up. I also gas up if I eat protein bars. Not because of the fibre but because of the fake sweeteners.

I eat white rice every single day and it's fine. White rice is FINE. A bazillion Asians, Indians and South Americans can't be getting it wrong by eating white rice every single day now can they?

2) the sugar for the skin thing? I'd call that bovine excrement. Too much of anything is bad for your. Sugar IMO is not the devil, but I do opt for natural fruit sugar over chucking in spoonfuls of refined white sugar into my diet.

This is a good point! i forgot that certain foods just make you bloated, like broccoli,beans, onions, etc. Also do you still eat protein bars, despite that they make you bloated? Because that is something I never thought about and makes a lot of sense but I also don't want to stop eating them. I like the way they taste, and it's an easy/good post workout snack... Maybe I should stop eating them for a little bit to identify if they make me bloated.
  • linahoman13
    1) some stuff makes you bloat. For example, if I look at broccoli, I become 5 months pregnant instantly. Could be that something in your diet makes you gassy? Try to pay attention to when you start to gas up. I also gas up if I eat protein bars. Not because of the fibre but because of the fake sweeteners.

I eat white rice every single day and it's fine. White rice is FINE. A bazillion Asians, Indians and South Americans can't be getting it wrong by eating white rice every single day now can they?

2) the sugar for the skin thing? I'd call that bovine excrement. Too much of anything is bad for your. Sugar IMO is not the devil, but I do opt for natural fruit sugar over chucking in spoonfuls of refined white sugar into my diet.

also you're saying that it's ok to eat some white grains?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

This is a good point! i forgot that certain foods just make you bloated, like broccoli,beans, onions, etc. Also do you still eat protein bars, despite that they make you bloated? Because that is something I never thought about and makes a lot of sense but I also don't want to stop eating them. I like the way they taste, and it's an easy/good post workout snack... Maybe I should stop eating them for a little bit to identify if they make me bloated.

Which protein bars are you eating? There are ingredients on some of the popular brands that can indeed cause bloating.
  • linahoman13
    Part 1:
    Answer A - just cut a serving or two of grains altogether if you can add something less fibrous to make up the calories - Greek yogurt or protein shake, maybe.

Answer B - if cutting fiber doesn't help, mention this to your doctor, it could be the first symptoms of an impending appendicitis or a gall stone. It probably isn't, but if it is, catching it early is better.

Part 2: If (and that's a big if) sugar is bad for your skin, it would be refined sugar not natural occurring.

Yeah I could try that. I am also a runner for my school so carbs for kinda important for me...
  • linahoman13

Which protein bars are you eating? There are ingredients on some of the popular brands that can indeed cause bloating.

I eat mostly ThinkThin Protein bars and a brand called "One".
  • linahoman13

Thank you for this. I was concerned you were sacrificing proteins and fats for carbs.

Is this higher fibre amount newer to you? Or have you been eating this way for a while? Any other dietary changes?

I have been doing this for a while.
  • nutmegoreo

I'm hesitant to think it's the fibre if you've been consuming that high for a while, assuming the bloating and gas is a new issue. Anything that is new? Does it happen everyday? I suggest looking for some patterns in when it's happening in combination with what you are eating. Maybe include some notes in your food diary on when it's happening, so that you can see if it correlates with any particular food items.
  • linahoman13

I'm hesitant to think it's the fibre if you've been consuming that high for a while, assuming the bloating and gas is a new issue. Anything that is new? Does it happen everyday? I suggest looking for some patterns in when it's happening in combination with what you are eating. Maybe include some notes in your food diary on when it's happening, so that you can see if it correlates with any particular food items.

No the bloating and gas is not new and yes I think i will do what you said. I think i am going to cut down on my dairy to see if that helps... I asked the question wondering about the fiber and a part of me was also just wondering if white grains are ok to eat if a person still gets all the vitamins, minerals, and fiber that whole grains give you. Idk. this is frustrating and kinda stressful but thank you for helping me! <3
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member

Each of those contain sugar alcohols, which can definitely cause issues with gas and bloating.

In regards to the fiber content of your diet, in respect especially to the One bar, one of the sweeteners/binders they use is a prebiotic fiber.

It would be better to cut the protein bar than to cut vegetables or whole grains from your diet. There's 9 grams of fiber or so in one of those bars, if you're going to be looking at cutting fiber. Then again, I'm not entirely sure that's the source of your problems.

If you're new to eating the bars, the sweeteners are the likely culprit. How many of the bars do you eat a day?
  • linahoman13

Each of those contain sugar alcohols, which can definitely cause issues with gas and bloating.

In regards to the fiber content of your diet, in respect especially to the One bar, one of the sweeteners/binders they use is a prebiotic fiber.

It would be better to cut the protein bar than to cut vegetables or whole grains from your diet. There's 9 grams of fiber or so in one of those bars, if you're going to be looking at cutting fiber. Then again, I'm not entirely sure that's the source of your problems.

If you're new to eating the bars, the sweeteners are the likely culprit. How many of the bars do you eat a day?

I don't eat one every day but i eat like 2-3 a week... about. I'm gonna try to not eat them at much.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member

No the bloating and gas is not new and yes I think i will do what you said. I think i am going to cut down on my dairy to see if that helps... I asked the question wondering about the fiber and a part of me was also just wondering if white grains are ok to eat if a person still gets all the vitamins, minerals, and fiber that whole grains give you. Idk. this is frustrating and kinda stressful but thank you for helping me! <3

You said in the OP that it's just been the past month? Has it been longer? Did the beginning of the bloating and gas coincide with an increase in overall fiber, with a change in the sources of your fiber, with some other dietary change?

If you can't link it to some specific change in your diet, you might want to see a doctor.

Otherwise, just based on what you've mentioned so far, I'd start by eliminating the high-fiber protein bars and switching to a yogurt that doesn't have added fiber (is that a soluble fiber like inulin?). But, again, if you were eating these things for months before the bloating and gas started, it seems like you ought to look elsewhere -- either something that actually changed around the time the problem started, or a separate medical condition (see a doctor).
  • 33gail33
    33gail33 Posts: 1,155 Member
    My constant daily bloating went away when I cut out grains. Oatmeal and whole wheat bread were worst for me.