Less Alcohol - December 2018 - One Day at a Time

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    @dawnbgethealthy You're doing really well! I love seeing your updates.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    dawnbgethealthy Posts: 7,543 Member
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 05 - 2 drinks. Can't lie, it was lovely. No regrets. Still within my calorie range today.
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 07 - 3 drinks, so AF 4 days out of 7. I was shooting for 4 or 5, but was counting Sunday to Saturday. I am up a whole pound this morning, so it is obvious that drinks should be avoided often.
    Dec 08 - 1 glass of wine, 2 mixed drinks.
    Dec 09 - 1 glass of champagne, 2 mixed drinks. I don't normally have drinks on Sundays, so if I want to go 4 or 5 AF this week the workdays will have to be AF. Way under calories for today even with the drinks.
    Dec 10 - AF
    Dec 11 - AF
    Dec 12 - Cocktails. I obviously didn't make it through the week AF. Six AF days in 12 days. Not what I was shooting for. I will just have to try harder.
    Dec 13 - AF
    Dec 14 - 2 Bailey's, 2 cocktails
    Dec 15 - 2 drinks Saturday night. My scale doesn't budge no matter what if I have had drinks. Really need to string together some AF days. At least marking it in here is making me mindful.
    Dec 16 - AF. Sunday, the beginning of my week.
    Dec 17 - AF
    Dec 18 - AF - that counts 10 AF days out of the month so far.
    Dec 19 - AF
    Dec 20 - AF - the scale is reflecting AF in a good way. There were a couple of days this week when I really felt like having a glass of wine or a couple of drinks. I guess that I wanted to see the scale budge more than I wanted alcohol. Mulled wine will be made over the holidays.
    Dec 21 -
    Dec 22 -
    Dec 23 -
    Dec 24 -
    Dec 25 -
    Dec 26 -
    Dec 27 -
    Dec 28 -
    Dec 29 -
    Dec 30 -
    Dec 31 -
  • Orphia
    Hey, this might help some of you, just found in my emails today.

This is the app for Dry January, now updated and called Dry Days by AlcoChange.

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/dry-january-beyond/id1062948603?mt=8

"The Dry Days app is for those who want to cut down or cut out the booze throughout the year, while seeing the impact it has on your overall health and wallet.

"The app has been powered by CyberLiver's behaviour change platform to help you change your drinking by keeping track of your drinking, sleep, mood and drinks.

"The app helps you track your daily progress and motivates you to stay dry with personalised messages, tips and tricks."
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 05 - 2 drinks. Can't lie, it was lovely. No regrets. Still within my calorie range today.
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 07 - 3 drinks, so AF 4 days out of 7. I was shooting for 4 or 5, but was counting Sunday to Saturday. I am up a whole pound this morning, so it is obvious that drinks should be avoided often.
    Dec 09 - 1 glass of champagne, 2 mixed drinks. I don't normally have drinks on Sundays, so if I want to go 4 or 5 AF this week the workdays will have to be AF. Way under calories for today even with the drinks.
    Dec 10 - AF
    Dec 11 - AF
    Dec 12 - Cocktails. I obviously didn't make it through the week AF. Six AF days in 12 days. Not what I was shooting for. I will just have to try harder.
    Dec 13 - AF
    Dec 15 - 2 drinks Saturday night. My scale doesn't budge no matter what if I have had drinks. Really need to string together some AF days. At least marking it in here is making me mindful.
    Dec 17 - AF
    Dec 19 - AF
    Dec 20 - AF - the scale is reflecting AF in a good way. There were a couple of days this week when I really felt like having a glass of wine or a couple of drinks. I guess that I wanted to see the scale budge more than I wanted alcohol. Mulled wine will be made over the holidays.
    Dec 21 - AF - 4AF the first week, 3AF the second week, 6AF the third week. Always shooting for 4 or 5 AF each week, made up for the 3AF week this week I guess. Boozy 10 days coming up, I will for sure be having mulled wine, and then Champagne on NYE. So happy for this forum to keep me accountable. It has helped my waistline too : - )
    Dec 22 -
    Dec 23 -
    Dec 24 -
    Dec 25 -
    Dec 26 -
    Dec 27 -
    Dec 28 -
    Dec 29 -
    Dec 30 -
    Dec 31 -
  • Orphia
    I hope everyone enjoys their festive season.

If you do have any worries, or feel lonely, or are struggling, please don't hesitate to post in here.
  • Orphia
    I'm going to have Bailey's Custard at some point this week, and I'm NOT going to count that as breaking my streak! :smiley:

(The amount of alcohol in it must be less than 0.5% or it wouldn't be allowed to be sold in our supermarkets here in Australia.)
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,542 Member
    edited December 2018
    Orphia wrote: »
    I'm going to have Bailey's Custard at some point this week, and I'm NOT going to count that as breaking my streak! :smiley:

(The amount of alcohol in it must be less than 0.5% or it wouldn't be allowed to be sold in our supermarkets here in Australia.)

🤣 ROTFL GOOD FOR YOU @Orphia, there is no reason to count it as a negative. I did not say I broke my steak when I ate chowder that had quarter cup of white wine in the entire huge batch.

(Reminds me of the eposide of Ron White from blue collar comedy tour talking about beef broth because someone is vegetarian.)
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 10 - AF
    Dec 11 - AF
    Dec 13 - AF
    Dec 17 - AF
    Dec 19 - AF
    Dec 21 - AF - 4AF the first week, 3AF the second week, 6AF the third week. Always shooting for 4 or 5 AF each week, made up for the 3AF week this week I guess. Boozy 10 days coming up, I will for sure be having mulled wine, and then Champagne on NYE. So happy for this forum to keep me accountable. It has helped my waistline too : - )
    Dec 22 - Baileys mixed with Brandy, then later on 3 additional cocktails. It didn't show on the scale this morning, but might catch up to me. 13 AF out of 22 so far with 9 days left in the month. For sure better than the 0 AF days for 6 months prior to joining MFP, but really shooting for 16-20 AF days per month (4-5 AF days each week).
    Dec 23 -
    Dec 24 -
    Dec 25 -
    Dec 26 -
    Dec 27 -
    Dec 28 -
    Dec 29 -
    Dec 30 -
    Dec 31 -
  • dawnbgethealthy
    edited December 2018
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 10 - AF
    Dec 11 - AF
    Dec 13 - AF
    Dec 17 - AF
    Dec 19 - AF
    Dec 22 - Baileys mixed with Brandy, then later on 3 additional cocktails. It didn't show on the scale this morning, but might catch up to me. 13 AF out of 22 so far with 9 days left in the month. For sure better than the 0 AF days for 6 months prior to joining MFP, but really shooting for 16-20 AF days per month (4-5 AF days each week).
    Dec 23 - AF - 14 out of 23. I must admit that I slept better last night after having a few drinks, but I definitely am not at my peak the next day.
    Dec 24 -
    Dec 25 -
    Dec 26 -
    Dec 27 -
    Dec 28 -
    Dec 29 -
    Dec 30 -
    Dec 31 -
  • SallyLuvsFitness
    SallyLuvsFitness Posts: 13,724 Member
    Proud of you and your efforts! I have been off alcohol for about a week with the exception of last night....
  • Orphia
    edited December 2018
    Merry Chrimbo!

My Google app showed me a really great article about the non-alcoholic drinks market boom in Australia this morning!

https://amp.smh.com.au/business/markets/beer-without-a-hangover-ray-joins-non-alcoholic-drinks-boom-20181220-p50njx.html

Our supermarket AF/NA drinks section seems to get bigger every month, with bubbly, sparkling apple & grape juices, NA beers.

It's not just Australia. Heineken are promoting a NA beer. And UK friends were talking about non-alcoholic Kopparberg cider yesterday too.

Guys, we're ahead of the curve! xxoo
  • Orphia
    edited December 2018
    Xmas lunch today was interesting. My first sober Xmas in 20 years!

2 out of 7 people were drinking alcohol. They may have only had 2 glasses of bubbly each.

4 of us shared a non-alcoholic sparkling Cabernet of some sort. There was definitely no alcohol in it. Not sure if it was the large lunch or some sort of woo "body memory" of Xmasses past, or the heat here in Australia, but I felt a bit woozy for a while after my meal, and we hadn't even had dessert!

I also had a Facebook memory pop up today of me drinking champagne at Xmas in 2011. I looked very, very tired and very puffy, and had an awfully strained smile on my face.

If today's sort of tiredness happened when I wasn't drinking alcohol, I can see why I always felt so crappy after a few hours drinking and eating.
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 10 - AF
    Dec 11 - AF
    Dec 13 - AF
    Dec 17 - AF
    Dec 19 - AF
    Dec 23 - AF - 14 out of 23. I must admit that I slept better last night after having a few drinks, but I definitely am not at my peak the next day.
    Dec 24 - Hot chocolate laced with Peppermint schnapps + 3 drinks afterward.
    Dec 25 -
    Dec 26 -
    Dec 27 -
    Dec 28 -
    Dec 29 -
    Dec 30 -
    Dec 31 -
  • forestdweller1
    forestdweller1 Posts: 356 Member
    Hello to all the new folks and familiar "encouragers".
    191 AF...6 more to go before I settle down with some Panettone and a couple [2!-2!-2! only] glasses of Chianti. Almost don't want to follow through on my reward for being AF and losing a ton of weight, because I fear I may fall back into old habits and need to quit again, this time forever. The prospect is.... :'( ...Maybe I'll keep putting off my "reward" for several extra months. Stale Panettone makes great toast, and the wine keeps just fine with the cork unpulled.
    Louisiana daughter is up for the Holidays to spend time with her 14 year old son. WHEE!! Drunk ex-son-in-law came home from a Holiday party at 1 am, stone cold sober last night. Don't know if he was just trying to keep on the good side of his ex wife, or if his brand new church lady girlfriend is a good influence. If this continues, his ex, his son, and ex-mother-in-law all agree that this one is a "keeper".

Toasting y'all with AF eggnog, plenty of vanilla and nutmeg....
  • dawnbgethealthy
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 10 - AF
    Dec 11 - AF
    Dec 13 - AF
    Dec 17 - AF
    Dec 19 - AF
    Dec 25 - 1/2 bottle of champagne. Yup, I easily could have drank the whole thing, but didn't.
    Dec 26 -
    Dec 27 -
    Dec 28 -
    Dec 29 -
    Dec 30 -
    Dec 31-
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,542 Member
    Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas.

December has been a very " dry" month for me, actually since Nov. 23 I have been completely AF (30 days). As planned I toasted the holiday with friends for the three days (not all day LOL) before Christmas. And on the December 25 I was to busy flying around in the kitchen cooking & I never thought about partaking in alcohol. Knowing I am definitely going to have a few on New Years Eve keeps me in check.

It was an eye opener for me as to how much energy, time and follow through I have had through out the month. I had a 12 hour baking session one day, got out to see and deliver cookie plates to neighbors and friends I had avoided in the past because I would claim to be to busy, when in reality I was either hung over or wanted to start drinking early and never got around to baking etc, .mailed out and delivered all my Christmas packages on time.

As odd as it seems. My husband keeps blinking his eyes and shaking his head. He says WOW your in such a giving mood this year. And I replied, I am getting done everything I have wanted to do in past years but was consumed by something else ( not telling him I was to loaded or needing to recover from the night before)

Applause to @dawnbgethealthy , @forestdweller1, @Orphia, @Fitness327wk and anyone else I missed since last posting.

• Orphia
    Hello to all the new folks and familiar "encouragers".
    191 AF...6 more to go before I settle down with some Panettone and a couple [2!-2!-2! only] glasses of Chianti. Almost don't want to follow through on my reward for being AF and losing a ton of weight, because I fear I may fall back into old habits and need to quit again, this time forever. The prospect is.... :'( ...Maybe I'll keep putting off my "reward" for several extra months. Stale Panettone makes great toast, and the wine keeps just fine with the cork unpulled.
    Louisiana daughter is up for the Holidays to spend time with her 14 year old son. WHEE!! Drunk ex-son-in-law came home from a Holiday party at 1 am, stone cold sober last night. Don't know if he was just trying to keep on the good side of his ex wife, or if his brand new church lady girlfriend is a good influence. If this continues, his ex, his son, and ex-mother-in-law all agree that this one is a "keeper".

Toasting y'all with AF eggnog, plenty of vanilla and nutmeg....

@forestdweller1 I kept postponing drinking again to avoid having to quit again. 11 months soon.

But some people such as @dawnbgethealthy and @MissMay seem to be able to have regular AF days. Well done, both of you!

• dawnbgethealthy
    Dec 01 - Cocktails
    Dec 02 - AF
    Dec 03 - AF
    Dec 04 - AF
    Dec 06 - AF
    Dec 10 - AF
    Dec 11 - AF
    Dec 13 - AF
    Dec 17 - AF
    Dec 19 - AF
    Dec 25 - 1/2 bottle of champagne. Yup, I easily could have drank the whole thing, but didn't.
    Dec 26 - 2/3 of the rest of the 1/2 bottle of champagne (left like a glass) + 2 drinks. Another holiday party to attend tonight where I am bringing the wine. I think that I am not really trying too hard this week, but I do like to be accountable. I don't think that I would have left champagne in the bottle in the past.
    Dec 27 -
    Dec 28 -
    Dec 29 -
    Dec 30 -
    Dec 31-