WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,706 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I have a question for you. I think this is OK to do, but I just want to check. When you make a pavlova, can you make the pavlova ahead of time and right before serving it then add the whipped cream and fruit?

Yes. In fact, there are boxes and boxes of pavlovas in the stores here ... you can buy one, leave it on your counter for a week, and then serve it up. But they might add something to it to preserve it. I think I'd want to keep a fresh one made with real eggs in the fridge.

And don't add the whipped cream and fruit to it until you are ready to serve it because it will crack and soak it all up pretty quickly ... which is great when you're eating it almost right away, but I think it would be a soggy mess if you left it for any length of time.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    I'm so excited. I'm in a weight loss challenge here on MFP. For the month of December I have lost 8 pounds. AND -- for this past week I maintained my loss. Did not gain an ounce over Christmas!! Although I would have loved to have a loss over Christmas week, this is a huge improvement of past years where I would have gained about 7-10 pounds. Pumped for January and hope to lose 8-10 pounds then as well. Love MFP!!!

Well done!!

I'll have to wait till early Jan to see what the scale says but I've been exercising a lot and not going too overboard with food, so I'm hoping I maintained as well.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Lanette - thanks for asking!

On grad school
    - ran the budget out for the next couple years, and at $1,800 - $2,000 per six-week class, grad school will have to wait one more year, unfortunately. Or fortunately, not sure. :) I've got plenty of challenges coming up at work in the new job for the next year, so will reserve grad school until I feel I've conquered all my challenges, work-wise. I usually take a year to start looking around for the next challenge, so starting spring semester of 2020 should be about right for my own personal timing.

I actually did something similar when I started ... I got my paperwork in, and was accepted, but at the last minute I deferred till the next semester. The timing just wasn't quite right.

Even now, I'm taking the summer off although part of me wanted to keep going ... but I've got other things I really need to take care of instead. Fortunately, I guess, there were no summer course options that would have fit my program. Perhaps that was indeed a sign that I needed to take these next 2 months off!!

You've got to work with your own timing. :)

M in Oz

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,752 Member
    Micheller1212, I really love it here in Roswell! Where are you?
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    /////
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,433 Member
    stats for the day:

spin- 1hr, 98aw, 80ar, 122ahr, 149mhr, 14.5mi= 466c
    0runner- 15min 10h, 42al, 104c, lvl10, 9.49min mi, 117ahr, 127mhr, 1.52mi= 124c
    treadmill jog- 8.37min, 143ahr, 155mhr, 7.0-7.5sp, 1mi= 111c

total 701
  • Machka9
    A little bit late, but nevertheless ...

How Christmas is celebrated in 21 places around the world

https://www.businessinsider.com.au/christmas-around-the-world-2018-12

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    2 posts lost.Have had a cold lasting 10 days,now DH has it.Christmas was a blur of med,kleenex & sleep.
    Easier to post than to add on. See you in 2019.Trish
  • Micheller1210
    Micheller1210 Posts: 460 Member
    kevrit wrote: »
    Micheller1212, I really love it here in Roswell! Where are you?

I live in Washington state now. I used to work at the walmart there. We used to go swimming at the bottomless statepark. My mom, sister and brother live in Ruidoso. I have relatives all over the state. My favorite place to live was in Las Crusces. my mom was telling me how they got lots of snow and her pipes are frozen. Brrr enough for now now before I get home sick.

Michelle in the great PNW 🤗
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    :) My cold continues to linger. I walked the dogs this morning, went to the grocery store, went back to bed, ate lunch, lay down again. I'll go to bed early again tonight. Sooner or later, it has to go away.

<3 Barbie
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,722 Member
    Rebecca ...I made soup today as well. Ham and bean.

I have been reading up today on intermittent fasting, particularly the 19/5 window advocated by the Fast-5 Diet by Bert Herring. I will have to ease into it I think and have decided to start slowly over the next few days, fully working at keeping a narrow window after my son is back in school and my husband and I are back into our normal routines. I don't expect anyone in my family to join me in this and I'll make certain there are meals available for my husband. I just think I need to do something different and a narrow eating window with healthy/cleaner food choices makes sense to me.

Still working on my word for 2019.

Beth
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Marking my place.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Well I am home and in bed..with a raging toothache..gee just what I need.. had a ni e time with my friends but when your tooth is hurting it kinds sucks....took 3 tylenol and brushed gingerly and flossed and rinsed with warm salt water..here is hoping I can get some sleep...
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,310 Member
    Got a wallet for Lynette. If I have to give it to her, I’m going to go buy myself one. Made the apple pie for Monday. I hope that by it cooling, it is no longer watery. I made another smaller one (which cools quicker) and it’s not juicy. Exact same crust, exact same apples. The only thing I can think of that would be different is the length of time it takes for the pie to cool. Update: doesn’t look like it is

I don’t know if I can do IF, but I do find that if I don’t have anything to eat after dinner (which can be hard), I usually lose.

Lanette – this is the first time in a loooonnnngggg time that we’ve been on city water. When we last lost power, it was so good to know that we could still flush our toilets. I know….it’s the little things.

Didn’t exercise today (I told you I probably wouldn’t since I didn’t do it first thing). The plan for tomorrow is to do Denise Austin’s Hot Body Yoga DVD.

Kim – I really like your twist on “celebration of life”. Sounds like a fun time

M – thanks for the info about the pavlova. I thought it would be OK as long as I didn’t put the whipped cream and fruit on it until right before it was served. One thing I didn’t think about was that it should be refrigerated. I didn’t think that would be necessary since meringue cookies don’t need to be refrigerated. But then again, the pavlova (I’ve never made one) might be softer in the middle than a cookie.

The Newcomers website: I’m laughing, the webmaster got this location program. Only problem is that he can’t seem to get it so that it’ll update based on the directory, he seems to be inputting all the information by hand. Plus….only one name is showing up. Like only Vince’s, not mine. He’s going by the “new” directory which isn’t up to date. The president seems to think it’s the best thing since chicken soup. To me, it’s just funny that he’s doing all this work and the directory isn’t even up to date. Adra said she wants us (her, me and Greg) to get together. Before we do that, I want to talk to Adra and express my concerns. I know that if I express them to Greg, he’ll take it as criticism. He’s already done that and I only brought one question to him. I don’t even want to imagine what he’ll do if I brought multiple concerns up to him. His stock answers will be “well, you can’t get the same functionality with an off-the-shelf program”. No, you can’t. But why are we even bothering with this program when we already have something that’ll do the job? “the directory is breaking down little by little”. No, I’ve worked with it for over a year. I certainly would have noticed if there was a problem, and I haven’t encountered any problems. The only problem is the thing that he can’t fix. Code isn’t organic material, it doesn’t break down. So I’m just sitting by smiling, knowing that he’s doing all this work and it isn’t even up to date.

Michele in NC
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    Caught up. Spent the last week at my mom's. I am very worried about her and trying not to fret. She has a nuclear stress test scheduled for Monday.

I may have broken the toe next to my left big toe this morning in the Pilates/yoga class this morning. Really, who can get hurt in downward facing dog. Apparently, I can. My husband buddy taped it for me and I am going to take some pain meds and go to sleep. My poor toe looks pretty bad, but everything seems to be basically where it is supposed to be, so it should be fine. We leave for Cancun on Thursday, and I hope I can walk pain free by then.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • Machka9
    exermom wrote: »
    M – thanks for the info about the pavlova. I thought it would be OK as long as I didn’t put the whipped cream and fruit on it until right before it was served. One thing I didn’t think about was that it should be refrigerated. I didn’t think that would be necessary since meringue cookies don’t need to be refrigerated. But then again, the pavlova (I’ve never made one) might be softer in the middle than a cookie.

Mine ... made from the mixes ... is always hard and crunchy on the outside for a depth of about 1/2 cm, and then soft like the meringue on lemon meringue pie on the inside, for the remaining 5 or 6 cm.

When I put fruit on and pour a bit of the juice from the fruit over my piece, the juice soaks into the soft part and makes it so delicious!!

M in Oz