WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2018

Options

Replies

• OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,559 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I ran 12 km today ... my longest run ever!! According to Strava, I burned 968 calories!

Machka in Oz

Jealous. I miss running. I walked everyday at my mother's, and the last couple times I threw in some running. It was fun. And now this toe. I may complain about it everyday until it stops hurting. Lol

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Rebecca - your soup looks absolutely yummy and perfect for this weather. Wanted to mention how I love your minimalist look and that telephone desk is the best. <3 How nice of Dana to you linked up for your DH's scooter!

So neat that all of your possessions "tell a story". As I look around my house, despite working on decluttering, only a few things really tell a story. I could easily eliminate about 90% more of what see -I wonder if DH would notice. Oh, I'd keep him and the dogs, lol.

Margaret, I forgot to mention how much I appreciated your post on staring at electronics screens and the links to macular degeneration. You always come up with really great research in so many areas of health that you post in this group. Thank you! <3 Pear and tea sound great by the way B)

Lanette
    Super breezy and wet SW WA State

Awe, Lanette, you are sweet. My things are the same when we lived in the Oregon apartment, but now there is space for them to seem special. I love my telephone and desk too! It still needs an adapter for it to dial out, but it accepts calls just fine. I miss using the rotary dialing part.💗

My soup was an elixir! I think the Annie's shiitake mushroom dressing is what makes it! Its earthy beefy, and the sesame oil shimmer was delightful! I have two more bowls of heaven!

After moving out 20+ times during our 34 years, I have sold so much. But what's left are simple things my kids made, my mommas rocking chair, and things that make me happy.💗

Today my youngest Navy son texted to husband so that was good ! It was on Steam which is a gaming platform site, and what he typed sounded positive. He recd my Christmas box, and he had duty during Christmas. He was nice and let a married sailor have off. He seems to be enjoying it all, so it makes me happy!
    💗Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    aurq7tb0cjbd.jpg

Thought this was so intriguing!
    Rebecca
    Whidbey island
    Washington
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    atwq5mc7pwsn.jpg

Not Suki, but so beautiful!
    💗Rebecca
  • coastalgosgal
    Options
    uke9nbshh4uz.jpg

Suki with a "cat in a headlight" look!
    💗Rebecca
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    Sunday --

Today I ran the longest distance I've ever run!! It was a lovely day and Rowan cycled behind me much of the way.

Distance: 12.08 km
    Elevation: 87 m
    Moving Time: 1:34:58
    Elapsed Time: 1:40:37
    Pace: 7:51/km

Then we went for a bicycle ride (and stopped for dinner) which gave me a chance to stretch my legs a bit.

Distance: 18.12 km
    Elevation: 91 m
    Moving Time: 1:11:44
    Elapsed Time: 2:06:47
    Speed: Avg: 15.2 km/h | Max: 25.9 km/h
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I ran 12 km today ... my longest run ever!! According to Strava, I burned 968 calories!

Machka in Oz

Jealous. I miss running. I walked everyday at my mother's, and the last couple times I threw in some running. It was fun. And now this toe. I may complain about it everyday until it stops hurting. Lol

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon

Sorry about your toe ... I hope it does heal soon.

I was able to cycle when I broke a toe ... the stiff soled shoes helped a lot. So maybe that's an option.

M in Oz
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Going to 'laminate' the croissant dough today. :bigsmile:
    I also have a yearning for fresh flowers. I've chucked out my Christmas foliage display, but I don't think I can buy anything much on a Sunday from our local shops. I might wander out to see.

I haven’t weighed myself yet, but I hope I have maintained. I've kept within the guidelines as I've still been exercising.

I used to make bread, and still will, for fun, from time to time, but Brighton seems to be the bakery capital of England! Every other shop is bursting with gorgeous artisan loaves! Every kind of deliciousness. It must be hell for coeliacs. :o

Looking forward to a new series of 'Les Miserables' tonight on tv. No music. It's been adapted by the very best tv writer, who is now 80! I have high hopes and I normally don't like costume dramas, only his.
    By the way, in case any of the Brits missed it over Christmas, the Torvill and Dean biog was excellent. I normally hate that sort of thing, but this one was good and worth catching up on.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

• Machka9
    Options
    I'm starting to write the story of my husband's injury. He wanted me to do that, so he could read it and I wanted to do it too ... but it's hard.

I've got all the updates I gave family in emails etc. to work with, but they just bring such a rush of pain.

So I've more or less completed the first couple days.

I was unrealistically hoping to knock this off in a matter of a week or so, figuring I had most of the words already from those emails etc., but I think it's going to take longer than that, and at this point, I can only work on it for about 30 minutes at a time.

But it's a start.

@grandmallie ... sorry about the tooth. I've got to decide what I want to do with mine. Do I want a root canal? Or do I want to remove the bad one all together and get an implant to replace the one they removed last year. Both expensive options. Meanwhile, it hurts. And no hot food or drink for me!

@cityjaneLondon ... one thing I really like about Australia ... fresh flowers all year round. We've got rose bushes full of blooms! :)

Now I've got to go lie down ... the 12 km run and 18 km ride have tired me out.

M in Oz
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

It's been a lovely, quiet weekend, all things considered. Three more days off, and back to work. Excited to be jumping into the New Year, my onboarding days will be Little Rock the 7th and 8th of January, and will have vision and dental in February through work, need to see both the eye doctor and the dentist, so those appointments will be made soon. Need to get an appointment for my hubby for regular doctor and eye doctor as well.

Have accomplished little of what I planned to do over this holiday, but there are a few days yet. I did, however, work through our budget for the next couple years (I truly love Excel spreadsheets). IF we get our spending ramped back down properly, which we should as the major expenses to get in the house are done for a while, we can get enough into savings to be comfortable, and then start throwing extra payments at the house beginning in August and pay it off by the end of 2020. The amortization calculator says, if we actually accomplish it, we would save $50,000 in interest alone. The benefits of buying a house that needed so much work--though our initial costs were high to get the house fit to move in, the mortgage wasn't high, so small amounts paid off make a big difference. Just by paying $43 extra a month that we're paying already, if we left it at that, we'd cut seven YEARS off the loan and save more than $14,000 in interest.

If we keep it together, we can get the house paid off a year before my retirement age, which is, right now, three years and four months away. Ah-MAY-zing. Doesn't even seem possible...

And I just realized where my son gets his interminably annoying planning and over-planning trait... :smiley: Funny, when he doesn't actually carry any of my genes. Which is probably good, as he's 6'3" tall now, and would have probably been a lot shorter had he been mine. :wink: Just shows that, even when you get them at 15 years old, you mark their lives.

Off to accomplish something. Not sure what, but I'll find something. Oh, and took another two pounds off the top of what I'd gained for Christmas.

Love y'all! :)

Lisa in Arkansas
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    BARB,sorry I don’t know how long your cold has lasted,but ppl don’t realize the energy they steal.Mine is going on 2 wks & I feel ok,but have bad coughing still.Guess it just lasts till it leaves. Take care of your self.

ALLIE,sorry you have a toothache.I’m such a scardy cat when it comes to dentists....for any reason at all.DH only eats hull less popcorn after having problems with shells cutting his gum.

My chosen word is self-compassion.For many reasons, DD’s losing her DH to cancer,the sadness etc.......just life being rough.So many things keep happening.I am not super woman,just an older lady that needs to let others do their own thing,while I live my own life in ways that have served me well. As DH says & believes,why worry,most never happens & what does isn’t my worry! So being easier on myself helps. I hope!

Working on not eating anything after supper.It gives me more hours of no food till brfast,have a few questions I go thru & it usually works.Should have done it a long time ago,...better late than never.

Now that I bent your ear ,going to wish all a Healthy Happy New Year & get this day started. Trish

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,046 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Allie and M your stories is why I had that crown done. I did not want it to turn into needing a root canal. I know the tooth was alive. I could still feel it during the procedure. I did tell him but did not get more novacane. It would have added another twenty minutes to the procedure. As it was I got there at 10:00 and did not leave until 1:30. My dentist creates the crown as you wait. It was a long day but it is done and I do not need to go back. The cost of the crown was bad enough.

Allie do you have a water pik. The use of that might help to dislodge the popcorn kernel. They also make those soft picks to get between your teeth.

Hope it resolves without a trip to the dentist. Do you have procedures done at your office and get any discounts because you work there?

LanetteThank you for your comment. My mom had macular degeneration so if I can take any precautions to avoid this conditions I will. I just leave my computer and cell phone in night time mode most of the time. On my phone it does have the capability to set a time for it to go off. Even so I do need to get in the habit of taking more eye breaks where I look away from the computer.

If you are interested in changing the light on cell phone and computer go to settings to find how to turn the blue light feature off. Somewhere it will say night mode on or off. On my phone it actually said blue light.

It also reminds me I should be better where my glasses that filter out the blue light from lights during the evening hours.

Exposure to blue light at night can throw off your sleep.

:heart: Margaret

• KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Sunday! Well, I am glad I lost a couple pounds last week, because they found me this week! lol All good, not going to sweat it. It will all come off. Today, I have ham and bean soup in the crock pot, I have put together my one pound veggie bags for the week, and yogurt is going in my pressure cooker. On my to do list today is putting together my January/February daycare calendar and crafts, taking the Christmas deco down, and hanging the curtain in the kitchen. I will end my day with watching the last four episodes of House that I recorded, so that I can get rid of the tv in the living room. (Step one in my plan of getting rid of cable).
    I looked over our budget (Tim has an excel spreadsheet and has extended our budget out to June); we have cut enough "fat"
    and debt from our budget that we only have a $700/month deficit. SO...rather than me needing to make $1,600 extra per month just to keep us afloat. I only need to make $700/month. That means, if I can get more kids in on the weekends and evenings I should be able to do this AND get some money saved and pay down more debt. I can do this, I can do this, I can do this. My word for 2019= FOCUS
    Allie - lol I was going to ask if maybe you had eaten some popcorn or something really salty. For me, it is always a popcorn kernel or too much salt that makes my teeth/gums ache. Definitely do some saltwater swishes. Baking soda in warm water will work as well. Maybe floss or brush gently to locate and remove the kernel. Do you have a waterpik? In regards to your resume: Remember to add skills that you have picked up in life. Because the majority of my resume would be my childcare, I include skills I have picked up in my volunteer work. Leadership skills, organizational skills, any tech or computer skills, skills you have learned in dealing with settling affairs after divorce and death. You have a LOT to pull from, my friend.
    Lisa- Yea! I am so excited for you being able to pay down your mortgage! This is one of my goals for the next couple of years!
    Rita- I am stunned to see snow in New Mexico! I love that building that you shared. If that garage door were replaced by a barn door, it would look just like something out of a Clint Eastwood spaghetti western!
    Mary- You and your family look fantastic!
    Machka- I loved the article regarding Christmas around the world. I think I am going to focus next December's crafts and activities on that theme. I have read a few books on Christmas around the world, but they do get old and traditions change; so I saved your article. Thank you!
    Love and hugs to everyone else <3 ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,197 Member
    Options
    Nice one KJ!!! I have read Born to Run and after that I watched some videos of the runners.

I went out to the supermarket looking for flowers, but the only ones I liked were too expensive. The cheaper ones were a bit tired. It can wait. I have artificial snowdrops etc I can get out on Jan 1st. :D

Still haven't done the croissants, but we attacked the pictures that gave been languishing in DH's study, to see if there was anything we wanted to hang. We hung a couple of railway posters in the hall, so now there are three out there. They look great. Then DH took a Klimt for his study and a lovely etching. Other pictures are destined for the charity shop. Some are pending decisions and have gone in the eaves, which is where they will probably stay! ;):* I wanted to sell the old pair of prints, but failed. A couple will be re framed and go up somewhere, so they are out on the hall table so they don't get forgotten. I have an old British Rail map of the Southern Region,which is an original that would have been screwed to the wall of the old compartment. Original frame which I want to keep. It is broken in one corner, so I need to take it to a proper framer to get it restored.
    So, a good job well done. :D
    Poor DH's study is still a mess and we still have loads of books to sort out. The TV isn't working, so we need to get the guy back who put up the new aerial. Grrrrrrrrrr! He said he might get over this week. I didn't want to nag DH about checking that the connection was working, but I should have done. It should have been done while the guy was here. But it's his study. :/

Off to laminate the croissants.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx