Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Golfers advice

MrWeather_81MrWeather_81 Posts: 52Member Member Posts: 52Member Member
Hi all.

Just wondering if any fellow golfers out there track their calories burn for a round of golf. And if so how too??

Thanks in advance for any tips.

It has been a few years since I have played, really am going to be rough round the edges in my swing.

Just have had a notion to get back playing. Time to hit the driving range to get swing back.

⛳🏌️

Replies

• 80sSynthwave80sSynthwave Posts: 8Member Member Posts: 8Member Member
    Easiest thing is to chalk it up to a deficit day, depending on how healthy your diet is. Lord knows most golfers could use it. :) Otherwise, I'd say pulling a cart for a round lasting 3+ hours would burn around 1000 cal. If you're a scratch player, then much less. If your handicap is 20 like mine, then a bit more.
  • RunnerGrl1982RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 150Member Member Posts: 150Member Member
    I play a bit of golf. I'd say it varies grossly like most exercises, but there are three factors to consider in your golf round:

Are you going to be at a golf course where:

1) You have a caddy carrying your clubs and you are walking your 18 holes?

2) You are walking the course and carrying/pulling your own clubs?

3) You are riding in a golf cart and simply swinging?

If your answer is #1, I'd say chalk most of your calories up to the normal calculation of exercise walking over distance and time + a few additional calories for the swinging and putting,

If your answer is #2, same answer as the above, but you'd need to calculate some resistance from either carrying or pulling your golf clubs.

If your answer is #3, the calories count goes down significantly due to riding in a golf cart, and simply swinging your golf club + putting.

As the above poster @80sSynthwave mentioned, you will be in a deficit, just a matter of how much, by how you are playing golf from the above I have described. Could be a lot, could be a little, but it will still be a deficit of some sort since you are exerting yourself separate from your daily routine.

I'm fairly certain, if you were to jump on Google, there would be a calculator of some sort that would give you the relative information you are looking for as well on calories burned golfing. But at the end of the day, it will be a ball park figure of some sort.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. Best of luck to you, but most of all - enjoy your round and try to keep it in the short grass. ;)

Edited: Typooooooooos.
    edited December 3
  • MrWeather_81MrWeather_81 Posts: 52Member Member Posts: 52Member Member
    Easiest thing is to chalk it up to a deficit day, depending on how healthy your diet is. Lord knows most golfers could use it. :) Otherwise, I'd say pulling a cart for a round lasting 3+ hours would burn around 1000 cal. If you're a scratch player, then much less. If your handicap is 20 like mine, then a bit more.
    I play a bit of golf. I'd say it varies grossly like most exercises, but there are three factors to consider in your golf round:

Are you going to be at a golf course where:

1) You have a caddy carrying your clubs and you are walking your 18 holes?

2) You are walking the course and carrying/pulling your own clubs?

3) You are riding in a golf cart and simply swinging?

If your answer is #1, I'd say chalk most of your calories up to the normal calculation of exercise walking over distance and time + a few additional calories for the swinging and putting,

If your answer is #2, same answer as the above, but you'd need to calculate some resistance from either carrying or pulling your golf clubs.

If your answer is #3, the calories count goes down significantly due to riding in a golf cart, and simply swinging your golf club + putting.

As the above poster @80sSynthwave mentioned, you will be in a deficit, just a matter of how much, by how you are playing golf from the above I have described. Could be a lot, could be a little, but it will still be a deficit of some sort since you are exerting yourself separate from your daily routine.

I'm fairly certain, if you were to jump on Google, there would be a calculator of some sort that would give you the relative information you are looking for as well on calories burned golfing. But at the end of the day, it will be a ball park figure of some sort.

Take my advice with a grain of salt. Best of luck to you, but most of all - enjoy your round and try to keep it in the short grass. ;)

Edited: Typooooooooos.

Thanks folks,

Most definitely not a scratch player lol. I'd say my handicap 20+

Thanks for the feedback to you both. Yes for sure I'll be aiming for the short stuff but I'm sure there will be some nice slices lol.

Before I stopped playing I changed my grip for putting and to be honest it did help and helped me on the greens.

Good luck to you both on the course!!
    I am a right handed player. Used to use the traditional right handed grip putting. Now I've changed putting technique it is more like a left handed grip. Were my left hand grips top of the club in a fist then my right hand 3 quarters way up the club. Found it give me a great feel for the ball!!
  • pondee629pondee629 Posts: 2,186Member Member Posts: 2,186Member Member
    With golf, I have my I-phone which counts my steps. I just use the step calorie burn calculation and leave it at that.
  • stingrayinflstingrayinfl Posts: 284Member Member Posts: 284Member Member
    you are getting some good suggestions. If the course is hilly, walk some extra on the hills if no one is behind you. I love to run and walk on the golf course as the sun comes up before anyone plays. At the recent International Association Golf Administrators meeting , they had an appl that helped with what you are searching for. I just don't remember much about it. Play and have fun, count your steps as someone suggested.
  • OldAssDudeOldAssDude Posts: 1,247Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,247Member, Premium Member
    you could log it through MFP here...

3yz9d9s48s5v.png
    OldAssDude wrote: »
    you could log it through MFP here...

3yz9d9s48s5v.png

I never thought they would have had golf in exercise bit, thankyou for this!!!
    pondee629 wrote: »
    With golf, I have my I-phone which counts my steps. I just use the step calorie burn calculation and leave it at that.
    you are getting some good suggestions. If the course is hilly, walk some extra on the hills if no one is behind you. I love to run and walk on the golf course as the sun comes up before anyone plays. At the recent International Association Golf Administrators meeting , they had an appl that helped with what you are searching for. I just don't remember much about it. Play and have fun, count your steps as someone suggested.

Yes I really am. It is very much appreciated everyone. Hopefully get some play and practice done in these winter months. Come next spring hopefully be down few pounds and ready to play on the course with my mates again.

Thanks all!!
    While on the subject of golf, has anyone any thoughts on the long putter? Is it any good?

It looks like a club I could use and be comfortable with?
  • TrambomanTramboman Posts: 148Member Member Posts: 148Member Member
    I used to use a long putter, but stopped when USGA rules changed to prohibit anchoring it against the body.
    If you have a place nearby that does putter fitting, I would certainly recommend a fitting. I had one done last week and it really opened my eyes to the things I was doing poorly and the things I was doing well.
    Tramboman wrote: »
    I used to use a long putter, but stopped when USGA rules changed to prohibit anchoring it against the body.
    If you have a place nearby that does putter fitting, I would certainly recommend a fitting. I had one done last week and it really opened my eyes to the things I was doing poorly and the things I was doing well.

Unfortunately I don't have a fitting area close to me. Although I would travel to test it.

For years I used same grip putting. It was not untill I played around with my stance and grip that I have found a all round good position
  • stephensweeney93stephensweeney93 Posts: 11Member Member Posts: 11Member Member
    I use the 'Endomondo" app on my phone for walking running and golf. It tracks distance and calories burned and syncs well with MFP as it owned by the same company. Free to use too. I hope you enjoy getting back into the game. Play well.
    I use the 'Endomondo" app on my phone for walking running and golf. It tracks distance and calories burned and syncs well with MFP as it owned by the same company. Free to use too. I hope you enjoy getting back into the game. Play well.
    MrTee1986 wrote: »
    I just log it into my iFit app for how long i played. It auto calculates the cals for you. MFP app stinks, I don't recommend it.

Thanks folks, going to aim to get an official handicap this year. So I can keep track of my game.

Enjoy your game fellow golfers !!

Feel free to add updates here on your game. Be good to read it all.
    Well not this year as only few weeks left. Next year I meant. March 2019 I'll am to calculate my handicap.
  • pondee629pondee629 Posts: 2,186Member Member Posts: 2,186Member Member
    I just log it into my iFit app for how long i played. It auto calculates the cals for you. MFP app stinks, I don't recommend it.

Thanks folks, going to aim to get an official handicap this year. So I can keep track of my game.

You don't need an "official" handicap to track your game. Get an app. I like Swing U. Shows distance on the course, tracks your scores and handicap plus some other stuff. Walk the course. However, golf is the ruination of a good walk.
  • DX2JX2DX2JX2 Posts: 1,751Member Member Posts: 1,751Member Member
    I used to estimate my rounds at 600 calories per, maybe a bit more on a really hilly course. Figure half the calories are from walking with a pull cart and the rest from playing.

Basically, golf paid for the beer & hot dog consumed during the round.
    Well not this year as only few weeks left. Next year I meant. March 2019 I'll am to calculate my handicap.

Playing all year round in the north east. If there's no snow, we go!

Fair play to ya!!!

I've never been much of a winter player.
    pondee629 wrote: »

You don't need an "official" handicap to track your game. Get an app. I like Swing U. Shows distance on the course, tracks your scores and handicap plus some other stuff. Walk the course. However, golf is the ruination of a good walk.

I will look for that app now. Thanks.
    DX2JX2 wrote: »
    I used to estimate my rounds at 600 calories per, maybe a bit more on a really hilly course. Figure half the calories are from walking with a pull cart and the rest from playing.

Basically, golf paid for the beer & hot dog consumed during the round.

Really beer and hotdog during the round? How did you manage this?